help choosing a new detector

indianfield

Presently I have my third cheep detector and I'm ready for a decent upgrade. The family farm ( southeast Pennsylvania) dates to 1719, it's in the process of being sold so I only have a season or two more here.

I hear nice things about the garrett at pro but I need to ask some people with experience first - "in the multitude of council there is wisdom"... to quote a pretty smart guy.
I hear this is a great machine for the money but what is the next step up? Is the next step up worth the extra cash? Is there something better in this price range... or a little more?
Are the $1000+ machines worth the extra money?

I have $1500 saved up, I don't need bells and whistles but there is a good deal of nails all over here and spending my afternoon digging nails is getting tiresome. I have found a button from the time of our revolution and even the keys I lost twenty years ago so it isn't all trash. :-)
Some old coins would obviously be fun, but buttons and personal items are exhilarating! So far I haven't found any silver with the detector and no coins older than the 1940s. Though I have found an indian cent just sitting on the back porch (squirrels in the attic?), dad found a large cent when they put in the new chimney and my brother once found a standing liberty half just laying in the driveway... so coins are here.

So, what detectors should I consider?

I may have answered my own question by reading and rereading...
The CTX seems to be a crowd favorite here, saving up and selling some toys is also an option (how many lawn mowers does a guy need?)

Next problem though, a guy 15 minutes from me is selling an etrac for $1000...
It sounds comparable to the CTX, am I correct?

It's more on the person operating the detector then it is about the detector. Things will not just jump out of the ground because you have a $1500 detector. You will dig nails and junk all day long with a $1500 detector because you won't know what it is telling you with its tones. You can spend all the money you want on a detector but it's not going to make you much better at digging only the good stuff till you fully learn the machine.

Welcome Indianfield. I'm as well in SE Pa. I'll say this, I hunt a CTX, my brother hunts an Etrac. Side by side if you will. Unless you need the GPS and waterproof qualities of a CTX, I'd say grab that Etrac. He kills it with his Etrac. We hunt loads of old farm sites in Chester County, Chadds Ford, Birmingham Twp, Delaware County, Downingtown, Marshalton area etc etc etc, in fact we hunt almost exclusively old farm sites. Don't get me wrong, I love my CTX but the Etrac is a fantastic detector. Unless you have the money, get the Etrac. You can always upgrade. If you're interested in getting together, PM me. If you don't currently have a detector, I have a decent Fischer you could borrow. Wet your whistle so to speak.

Trac for 1000.00. Age, warranty, condition etc. Would you know these for certain ? A new Etrac is around 1500.00. You would know the condition, it's age, be under warranty. All things to consider. HH & GL.

Indianfield,
I read your initial post.

For $1500

My picks would be
If you are leaning more towards coins = etrac
more towards relics= Xp Deus

There is a weight difference between the 2
Deus much lighter

Etrac IDs coins deeper

If you don't want to spend that much $$$
Other choices AT Pro, Makro Racer, White's MXT, Fisher F70/F75---this list is not all inclusive--there are others out there that are good as well.
A White's V3i is another choice. White's Vx3 as well.

Best wishes on whatever decision you make.

If the Etrac is in decent condition, $1000 is a great deal.
Quite often they sell for $1400 - close to retail.

I offered $1200 for an ETrac the other night, they guy didn't even respond.

If you bought that used Etrac, you could also grab a new Excalibur, you would then have quite the formidable pair of machines.
Or a get a CTX 3030.

6 here, half dozen there.

If you had the two machines, you might be a little safer as the Excalibur has a much better chance of not being flooded as it is a sealed unit good for 200' deep/ 84 psi.

The CTX would have all your eggs in one basket. Not really a big deal, just something to consider.
On the other hand a CTX would simplify traveling, if you wanted to do mixed land/sea hunts, you wouldn't have to bring two detectors and leave one in the car.

if you have a lot of time to work the site get a Deus. Hunt every inch in every frequency and let us drool over the finds.

OMG! If I had $1500 I'd lay awake at nites just thinking about ALL the machines:laughing::laughing: Seriously, there are so many nice ones out there. I would look at all the features that appeal to YOU. It's really hard to go wrong..One of the sponsors would be of good help.;) And I've been doing this over 30 years.

Thanks guys, for getting back to me.
The girlfriend had me busy yesterday so I didn't stop back in.
I emailed the guy yesterday morning, before posting here, I offered him $800, then he countered for $900.
This Minelab comes with a minelab pin pointer too. He says it's 2 1/2 years old but he only used it for 6 months then bought a CTX3030.
Like the one man said here, I'm worried about buying a used machine when really I don't know how to check and see if it works well. Besides of course laying some change on the ground.
I'm so torn, if this works it is s great deal, but I was leaning toward the CTX myself. He won't be around until after 5 (eastern time) do let's see what I feel like in a few hours...

Thanks guys, for getting back to me.
The girlfriend had me busy yesterday so I didn't stop back in.
I emailed the guy yesterday morning, before posting here, I offered him $800, then he countered for $900.
This Minelab comes with a minelab pin pointer too. He says it's 2 1/2 years old but he only used it for 6 months then bought a CTX3030.
Like the one man said here, I'm worried about buying a used machine when really I don't know how to check and see if it works well. Besides of course laying some change on the ground.
I'm so torn, if this works it is s great deal, but I was leaning toward the CTX myself. He won't be around until after 5 (eastern time) do let's see what I feel like in a few hours...

Indianfield,
Before I would pay that for a 2.5 year old etrac, talk to some of the sponsors here about a new etrac.

Remember the battery packs do fail/wear out with use and time---they cost money too.

Repairs on them aren't cheap by no means (out a warranty), You may be surprised at the price the sponsor(s) are willing to deal.

Trying to save a few bucks is understandable---but in the long run----you could be talking about more than a few bucks saved

Cheers.

Put my Etrac up for sale with the 11dd pro coil, at a low price, I live in Baltimore, if you invite me up for a hunt for the day, I can bring it & show it to you, 775.00 cash to you local, new 1550.00, save , high end , low price, Earl

WOW Earl that is a great deal. If I wasn't already in the doghouse I would be snatching up that E trac. I love to have 2 of everything LOL!
Good luck but you wont need it cause it will sell fast at that price.

Indianfield,
Before I would pay that for a 2.5 year old etrac, talk to some of the sponsors here about a new etrac.

Remember the battery packs do fail/wear out with use and time---they cost money too.

Repairs on them aren't cheap by no means (out a warranty), You may be surprised at the price the sponsor(s) are willing to deal.

Trying to save a few bucks is understandable---but in the long run----you could be talking about more than a few bucks saved

Cheers.

Your totally correct, there is a guy on eBay selling new etracs for $1200 (item # 181791266448), the worrying isn't worth a few hundred. I'll call a few sponsors and a local guy and see what they can do.
After watching a TON of videos, driving the girlfriend nuts with the beeps, and reading articles - I feel somewhat comfortable that the etrac may work for me.

Your totally correct, there is a guy on eBay selling new etracs for $1200 (item # 181791266448), the worrying isn't worth a few hundred. I'll call a few sponsors and a local guy and see what they can do.
After watching a TON of videos, driving the girlfriend nuts with the beeps, and reading articles - I feel somewhat comfortable that the etrac may work for me.

I would be very careful with that Ebay auction. Minelab dealers sign an agreement to not sell for under a certain price. If they get caught advertising for a lower price than the set price they can lose their right to sell that brand.
I suspect that this guy is not a dealer but a re seller and I would check it out good before I bought.
Personally I would snatch up Earls for the price he is selling for.

See if that used Etrac has any warranty left, maybe the seller could have it serviced if something was wrong.

Indianfield

The Etrac is a Silver killer take it from someone with 39 years experience , not just only with 5 or less, happy hunting Earl

Back
Top Bottom