West Coast beach hunting has a new danger

merchunter

January 6, 2014 – CALIFORNIA – Predictions that Fukushima’s radioactive ocean plume would hit the west coast of the U.S. sometime in 2014 may have already come to pass, with a new video showing Geiger counter readings of background radiation at a beach in San Francisco over five times the safe level. Days after a YouTube video emerged showing background radiation at a Coastside beach reaching over 150 micro-REM per hour, Health officials in San Mateo County confirmed the spike but said they were “befuddled” as to its cause. However, officials dismissed the possibility that the readings could be linked to Fukushima radiation reaching the west coast despite forecasts by experts last summer that radioactive particles from Fukushima would reach U.S. coastal waters in 2014. The video shows a man measuring radiation readings at different spots on a beach south of Pillar Point Harbor. Background radiation in the areas immediately surrounding the beach are normal, but once the man approaches the water itself, the radiation spikes to at least 500 per cent safe levels and the Geiger counter’s alarm goes off. The man behind the video claims that on his previous visit to the same beach, radiation readings were 13 times the safe level. “In the following days, other amateurs with Geiger counters began posting similar videos online,” reports the Half Moon Bay Review. “The videos follow other alarming news last month that starfish were mysteriously disintegrating along the West Coast, a trend that has not been linked yet to any cause.”
Mainstream media outlets have also largely toed the line on Fukushima despite overwhelming evidence of a cover-up of the true scale of the crisis by Japanese authorities. Former MSNBC host Cenk Uygur was told not to warn the public about the danger posed by the meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant during his time as a host on the cable network. Concerns that the federal government is preparing for some form of nuclear emergency have heightened after it was revealed that the Department of Health and Human Services has ordered 14 million doses of potassium iodide, the compound that protects the body from radioactive poisoning in the aftermath of severe nuclear accidents, to be delivered before the beginning of February.

If its that bad here think what its like in japan:shock:
Stewart and those water hunters over there must be glowing in the dark

Its reasonable to believe this is true and I wonder what steps can be taken to mitigate the problem?

Its reasonable to believe this is true and I wonder what steps can be taken to mitigate the problem?

Ultimately, dilution is the solution to pollution.....Radioactivity has to decay and most radioactive isotopes half lives are extremely long lived. Time, distance and shielding..... Stay a short time, stay as far away as possible and if you need to metal detect in the water, wear a lead jock strap.....and don't drink the water.

article-1366920-0B366A6E00000578-705_964x663.jpg

All you can do is avoid the radiation………the deafening silence of our gov regarding this is extremely disturbing…….

Define "minor health consequences". Is that like only growing an extra thumb instead of a third arm?

That's an easy one, wait 100,000+ years. Also closing all nuclear power plants to ensure we don't have any more incidents in the future. How many times does this have to happen before we wake up? Three mile island, Chernobyl and now Fukashima unfortunately won't be enough of a lesson until we ruin all life on earth....silly monkeys.

Wait, with a third arm I could swing a second detector, covering twice as much sand...hmmmm.....:grin:

ROFLMAO..... my last semester's Science class professor gave me a link to some live nature cams from Chernobyl...here's a pic of an eagle landing near the cam, and no, he didn't glow in the dark.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 513
I went metal detecting in Half Moon Bay just south of San Francisco this past Saturday. I'll have to check myself in the dark tonight and see if I'm glowing. I stayed away from the water and detected the dry sand mostly..

Scary stuff...

Back
Top Bottom