"D'OOOOH!" What's the DUMBEST Mistake You've Ever Made?

SageGrouse

Elite Member
Yes, you know. While out MDing or getting ready to go or coming home and you realize that you JUST.... (fill in the blank) and you'll NEVER live it down, get a chance to make up for, correct, recover from that BONEHEADED THING you did... or didn't do...remembered ... or forgot!

What was it?

For me it was finding a beautiful piece of filigree jewelry, part of a Victorian bracelet, so delicate and fine... and a huge HOLE through the middle of the fine silver 'threads' punched by my ground probe! :tissue:

Tell us your red faced blunder so we can all laugh... er... I mean SYMPATHIZE with you!

SageGrouse

Finding a Henry VIII coin, the only one I have ever found, placing it safely in the finds pouch only to arrive home and find the coin missing. The coin having slipped through a hole that had developed in the bag! Now one of my self check measures is to ensure that all my detecting equipment is in serviceable condition before I venture out!!

Drove up to the beach which was an hour and a half drive to test out a brand new 8x14DD ($265 coil) bought specificly for hunting big areas with few targets. Didn't bring along the regular stock coil. Got down by the water ankle deep and about 20 min later coil was junk. Turned out it was defective from dealer. Water got into the coil where a pinhole was in the seam. Dealer replaced for free but that day was a very short day of hunting. A lot of driving for nothing. Should have taken stock coil. Now when I go anywhere I bring both even when I know I am going to use one or the other for that day.

Got all my gear loaded and drove 30 miles only to realize I left my wife at home! :laughing:

Not really, but for now it would be leaving my lesche in a park 460 miles from home. :(

G2M

Tried jumping across about a 10ft wide creek & landed face first on the other side, but at least my machine didn't get hurt...:lol:

For me, I was eager to start detecting and get across the park and finding a target to dig and realize I had left my pinpointer and lesche in the truck.

Never moving south or southwest

Ohhhhh don't feel so bad about that. I'm here in sunny Santa Fe and my back yard is covered with snow! Icd three inches thick on the driveway. Y'see... it snowed two WEEKS ago, but we've got a huge *wall* to the north, so sun doesn't get *into* those places at all. It'll be iced over until May. And colder than a well-digger's witch!

SageGrouse

I had never hunted in the South before and was introduced to Fire Ants.
I had asked permission to hunt a old farm field next to a busy road.
In the middle of this field stands a old 1900's school house. I assumed the same Farmer owned both.
After several people stopped, including a Sheriff Deputy, and asked if I found anything I had had about enough of the interuptions.
Then a lady pulled up and stopped. She Asked if I knew who owned the property. In a not very nice voice I Replied "Farmer Jones, and yes I have permission to be here."
Wellll the lady informed me that yes Farmer Brown did indeed own the field but NOT the ground the school set on. I apologized and felt really bad.
She just laughed and said it was O.K. to finish but please ask next time. :oops:

The dumbest mistake I made would be my first marriage.....Thankfully, that was many years ago and I dug up a better treasure.:p

Tops would be falling 25 feet down a mountainside, breaking myself and the detector:lol:...A close second would be digging up a nest of yellowjackets:shock: and I still haven't gone back to retrieve the silver quarter they were guarding:laughing: Another moment would be the time I told Bueller "go try over there", he walks to the exact spot I pointed out and proceeded to find and dig a 1911D Barber half in like 2 minutes:roll:...

Hiked about a mile into deep woods to try a new spot

.... yeah, you gotta check those batteries =/

Better than the car keys!!!!:lol:

I did that at a park good thing there was 3 of us to help me find them
lost a lesche
dropped my ray bans in the river jumping from rock to rock
left my headphones at home
forgot my battery thank goodness had my spare

and probably some other stuff I forgot about

:wow: talk about a drive to get to a spot :laughing:.

:laughing: I was visiting my Grandma and we were hunting her local park and I (really my wife) ran off and left the digger lying on the ground. :(

Didnt notice it till we got back home the next day.

:laughing: I was visiting my Grandma and we were hunting her local park and I (really my wife) ran off and left the digger lying on the ground. :(

Didnt notice it till we got back home the next day.

Typical....:rofl:

Heck while metal detecting my wife has lost her cell phone, a digger I used for about 12 years & my brand new pro-pointer... I found all 3 except the phone which a buddy found a year later in the woods & it still works...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom