Round 4: An Unlikely CRH result

Cat_Fish

Elite Member
So today, before heading to do some geocaching and metal detecting we made a pit-stop at our bank to deposit some cash and some rolled coins. All told I walked into the bank with $542.50. I asked if they had any halves and the teller pulled out $5.50 in halves and I asked him to take it from my deposit. He obliged, handed me my slip, the halves and a $5 and I told him merry x-mas and headed to the car...i had already glanced down at the edges of the halves and saw we had been skunked. Oh well...we got a box coming tomorrow!

After sitting in the car for a moment, I thought about what had just happened and looked at the bank slip and it read deposit of $537.00, as it should have but...umm...I rechecked what i had been given, what in the!?:laughing: Bank Error In Your Favor - You collect $5 dollars? The kid seemed a little confused when he was making it out...strange because it should have been easy because I had a roll of pennies in there, but the remainder of the deposits were 4 rolls of quarters and 5 crisp Benny guys. I think he was manually trying to break one of the $10 quarter rolls to account for the 5.50 of halves, but that $5 should have stayed with the bank... bizarre, but the whole process took a while such that Cat even asked when I got to the car if there was a line, and there wasn't a soul in the bank!?

Who knows, but certainly never had that happen before, and it made up for the 11 dud halves he gave us!:lol:

Attachments

• CRH win.jpg
    CRH win.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 487
It is very uncommon for a bank to make an error like this and NOT catch it. They might not but you might be surprised. My wife works for a retail store that does approximately $100k in sales a day. Her job is to go in in the morning and count money from the day before and get registers ready for that day. I don't know how they do it but there drawers can be off buy a few cents or a couple dollars and they can figure out which drawer it came from and often times which transaction the cashier messed up on. Not always but more times then not they figure it out. Banks are the same way.

At least your still have your integrity intact. ....oh...wait. ;)

I thought about it as we were driving...I have been charged fees by said bank and have had many a fight to have them removed because the original account was with a bank that was acquired, and then acquired again and is *supposed* to be grandfathered in without fees for balance levels, overdraft, etc.. From time to time they try to "turn the fees on" and hope I don't notice and then I am forced to call India for a while before finally getting through to someone who gets it! I did my good deeds for the day so I'm not losing sleep over it :grin: and we are not even close to even yet!

It is very uncommon for a bank to make an error like this and NOT catch it. They might not but you might be surprised. My wife works for a retail store that does approximately $100k in sales a day. Her job is to go in in the morning and count money from the day before and get registers ready for that day. I don't know how they do it but there drawers can be off buy a few cents or a couple dollars and they can figure out which drawer it came from and often times which transaction the cashier messed up on. Not always but more times then not they figure it out. Banks are the same way.

I'll be curious to see what they do after their cash audit...the issue is that they gave out too much. It would be one thing if I had had too much deposited but the error was above and beyond my deposit which was accurate and the halves given out. Interested now to see if they call and try to adjust my account....find it hard to believe that they would or even could do this because there is no proof that they can garner to show that I actually was given the $5 note since the kid tried to get fancy and deduct pre-deposit...everything I show ties out and the math works...except the random $5.:grin:

Similar thing happened to me when I bought a box of donuts using halves. The cashier had apparently never seen them before, and after his manager finally convinced him that they're real money, he ended up giving one back to me as a quarter as change. I noticed right away and told him, but he was so confused he didn't even take it back.

Do you realize that us tellers (yes I'm a teller)get in big trouble for stuff of that sort? With this being so close to Christmas time, how would you feel if you went back to that bank tomorrow and found out that teller got fired for the mistake? and all you had to do is go back in the bank and give him the 5 bucks back. But naaa, instead you made away with 5 extra bucks and bragged about it on FMDF. Nice job.

Do you realize that us tellers (yes I'm a teller)get in big trouble for stuff of that sort? With this being so close to Christmas time, how would you feel if you went back to that bank tomorrow and found out that teller got fired for the mistake? and all you had to do is go back in the bank and give him the 5 bucks back. But naaa, instead you made away with 5 extra bucks and bragged about it on FMDF. Nice job.

Its the tellers fault.. Do you think if they jipped him $5 and he left the bank and came back they would give him $5? Probably not.

Its the tellers fault.. Do you think if they jipped him $5 and he left the bank and came back they would give him $5? Probably not.
If I am over in my drawer, Yes he would get the money back.No questions asked. The customer is always right, and it doesn't matter who's fault it is. He is posting about getting over on someone, In this instance it's the bank. I would have rather seen a pick of a very nice find and try to help the person get a somewhat accurate value on that, not a pic of a Lincoln and some change that he acquired from someones mishap

Where is the morals and values of people now days. I guess I was just brought up with "honesty is the best policy"

damn.

someone lucks out & ends up with an extra $5 & gets chastised?

this entire forum is basically about finding lost money (in the ground) - do some of you go out of your way to locate the owner of the lost coins you find?

GET OFF THE HIGH HORSE!

If I am over in my drawer, Yes he would get the money back.No questions asked. The customer is always right, and it doesn't matter who's fault it is. He is posting about getting over on someone, In this instance it's the bank. I would have rather seen a pick of a very nice find and try to help the person get a somewhat accurate value on that, not a pic of a Lincoln and some change that he acquired from someones mishap

Where is the morals and values of people now days. I guess I was just brought up with "honesty is the best policy"

Your posts cracked me up in a big way lol. Sorry man, if I make an error out of my own incompetence and miscount I do not expect nor should I that someone else with marginally higher intellect sees the error and rights my wrong. Case in point; a few months ago I was at a grocery store and purchased a $10 pre-made pack of sushi. While checking out I placed it out of the bag in the self check-out and then walked away. I was raised that it wouldn't be right to go in and say I forgot it, please give me another. It is likely the next customer took it and that they never were aware it was lost and therefore would that be just to demand a replacement from the supermarket? How many people abuse "customer is always right"...but That would be "honest"....right? Sorry if I had had a clue when I was in there, and he asked I would have worked out the simple math and he wouldn't have had to "fear for being fired." Similarly if I had turned around and grabbed the sushi before leaving, the world would have been righted....neither happened, and the resulting fault should be the same.

Sorry theft and employee incompetence are not synonymous nor comparable....also, sorry people should pay for their errors and it shouldn't be on the customer to check and recheck that the teller has done basic arithmetic correctly, simply to save a teller, who was a grown man, incompetent, distracted or sleepy behind.

It is clear that NO ONE wants to take personal responsibility anymore, the irony is that yours was hidden behind supposed righteousness....I assume your loose change that you found was listed in the lost and found section on CL?

HH and GL all, we just cracked open our box of halves!:D

I’m sure any bank would correct an error that short-changed a customer.

A few years ago when I made a cash deposit, I miscounted and my deposit slip was made out for $1.00 less than the actual cash I had. I suppose there were two bills stuck together because the teller’s count came up with the same amount and he credited my account.

A couple of hours later, I got a phone call from the teller. He said that when he reconciled his drawer, he discovered the error. He wanted to know if he should send me the $1.00 or should he deposit it into my account? I said to just deposit it. A few days later, I received a deposit slip in the mail, showing a $1.00 credit to my account.

Anytime I receive too much in change, I will inform the person – no matter if it’s the local mom-and-pop store or a national chain.

1. You took 5 bucks that didn't belong to you. There is no other way to look at it. You knew about the mistake and did nothing about it. It's wrong.

2. You are now justifying your actions to us and others.

3. Hunting lost coins and keeping money that was given to you in error can not be correlated. Well, other than the subject is money...

4. The people I "hang" out with on this forum would also feel the way I do about your actions so don't think there's safety in numbers here.

5. Since your Mother hasn't said it, I will, SHAME ON YOU!

1. You took 5 bucks that didn't belong to you. There is no other way to look at it. You knew about the mistake and did nothing about it. It's wrong.

2. You are now justifying your actions to us and others.

3. Hunting lost coins and keeping money that was given to you in error can not be correlated. Well, other than the subject is money...

4. The people I "hang" out with on this forum would also feel the way I do about your actions so don't think there's safety in numbers here.

5. Since your Mother hasn't said it, I will, SHAME ON YOU!

Safety from what...? I ask again how is this demonstrably different from a coin counting machine spitting out extra goodies after a CRH dump, for example. If you or others choose not to "hang" out with me, that is certainly unfortunate as there is a wealth of knowledge here and many friendly and helpful folks of which we eagerly soak up their advice. I think people need to rethink the concept of honor a bit. I'm sorry for those whose righteousness is so great that they feel the need to lash out at others whose personal morality isn't perfectly in line. All I really have left to say is people need to consider there own day to day actions there isn't a doubt that each of us follows a compass slightly different from the next...I don't g-d damn anyone for theirs and I think people would be remiss to ever do that lightly.

Lets not forget there is a monopoly card in the Chance pile, where just this event happens.

Most banks will give tellers a couple of chances with bad drawer counts before firing them. They need to train him to use better process. They should never be nesting transactions on the counter like that.

Every teller KT ever discussed this type of situation with would pay outta their own paycheck since it was their fault.

So you cost the teller $5....what if they did that several times a day by accident...they would be working for free......so KT has no pride in what you did. Be honest! Next time you are in that bank, seek out that teller and give the $5 back, and tell them the date it happened!

Clear concience is worth more than a fiver!:D

You do realize tht taking money willfully that you know is not yours is the same as theft/fraud? Hey if you can sleep at night, good for you. Just don't post a story like this and not expect people to point out the wrong in it. 5.00 or 500.00, you knew it wasn't yours but chose to keep it. IMO, that's theft.

Google it, plenty of stories out there to back it up.

Every teller KT ever discussed this type of situation with would pay outta their own paycheck since it was their fault.

So you cost the teller $5....what if they did that several times a day by accident...they would be working for free......so KT has no pride in what you did. Be honest! Next time you are in that bank, seek out that teller and give the $5 back, and tell them the date it happened!

Clear concience is worth more than a fiver!:D

HIPPOCRATE!

KT mentions ALL the time about his "overages" from the coin counter machines!!!

how is this any different???

Back
Top Bottom