• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Score of a Lifetime!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
So I went to the supermarket this evening to get some ground beef for chili. I came home and realized i bought the wrong beef. What I bought was a mixture for meatloaf. All ticked off I went back to the supermarket. Went and got what I needed and proceeded to check out. There was a girl about 25 years old at the coin star. I "heard" all of her change getting rejected. She got in line behind me and I looked at her zip lock bag full of coins. I said to her since the coinstart takes about 10% from the total, I will tap mac and give her total face value. Well we sat there counting them out. My hands were shaking as I was doing that. I promptly gave her $70 even for 280 quarters...SILVER QUARTERS THAT IS!!!:shock::shock::shock: She needed the cash to do food shopping. Wow I am so glad I picked up the wrong beef!!! I truly believe that saying now that things happen for a reason.

I know some are going to say I ripped her off. Well I look at it as if the coin star took the silver quarters then she would have gotten about $62 back. I gave her the full amount for them. If she knew what they were she didnt care...

They are all Washingtons. No real key dates. One 1950 D that might be a D over S. Either way that is $1453 in melt value :shock::shock:. I am still so stoked. What an awesome evening!!!

Attachments

• quarters 1.jpg
    quarters 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,737
  • quarters 2.jpg
    quarters 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,744
  • quarters 3.jpg
    quarters 3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,717
:wow::wow::wow::shock::shock::shock::shock: CHA--CHIIIING!! WOW!!!!
:shock::shock: Way better than my hunt today. Holy cow. Nice job Sean! Be prepared for the haters. You're gonna get chewed out bad on this one. It'll all be jealous rage though. :wow:

No flippin' way

That is a lifetime of detecting right there in one trip to the grocery store!
Let the jealous rage begin:furious:

That is a lifetime of detecting right there in one trip to the grocery store!
Let the jealous rage begin:furious:

Yeah - but I bet you all the coins Sean has found while detecting means WAY more to him than that bag of silver quarters. Maybe I'm wrong though - that's a LOT of silver! :shock:

Yeah - but I bet you all the coins Sean has found while detecting means WAY more to him than that bag of silver quarters. Maybe I'm wrong though - that's a LOT of silver! :shock:

Yes Rick you're right. But I am still super excited. I can only hope silver skyrockets in the future.

heck if she needed food that bad you actually helped her out by buying them. she probably snagged them from her parents closet. If she was collecting them she would of known what they were worth. I would of asked if she had any more that my 7yr old son saves older coins like that. I say SCORE and conrats...GL+HH.....cliff.

Wait....what the???? I can't believe you robbed that poor lady of all that silver! You son of a ....Awesome man!! Helped her out and REALLY helped you out! Well done! The shiny stuff bumped up just $.04 short of $30 today, so it's still making that slow march back up. Congrats!!

I'm happy for you. Great score! But...it's only a matter of time before someone comes on here and accuses you of stealing from the girl. Some old lady turned in several bags of change at the bank & maybe 8 or 9 of those coins were silver & the teller saved them for one of the guys here at the forum. The guy posted pictures here and sure enough someone got pretty upset about it. It turned into a big battle. I defended the guy here & told the other guy if he was so upset by it that he should go to the bank & hunt the old woman down & reimburse her for the silver value. I guess he thought the bank owed it to her to go through all that change for her & pull out the silver for her. At any rate, your score was much greater then his, so the do gooders are going to be pissed. You might want to put on a flak jacket & helmet just in case.

I'm happy for you. Great score! But...it's only a matter of time before someone comes on here and accuses you of stealing from the girl. Some old lady turned in several bags of change at the bank & maybe 8 or 9 of those coins were silver & the teller saved them for one of the guys here at the forum. The guy posted pictures here and sure enough someone got pretty upset about it. It turned into a big battle. I defended the guy here & told the other guy if he was so upset by it that he should go to the bank & hunt the old woman down & reimburse her for the silver value. I guess he thought the bank owed it to her to go through all that change for her & pull out the silver for her. At any rate, your score was much greater then his, so the do gooders are going to be pissed. You might want to put on a flak jacket & helmet just in case.

I expect some people to give me flak. And that's ok. But if I worked at a convenience store and somebody paid $7 in silver quarters for smokes I shouldnt have to tell him there all silver, dont spend them. She was going to put them all through the coinstar anyway. I made her day by paying cash for face value...

You should have changed it to liquor store.;) I tend to lean more towards the ruthless - you should know what you have, point of view.... but it's hard to not look at the other side of the coin here. (the clad part I guess that would be) But it is what it is, and happens all the time. Like I always say it's easy for others to point the finger, but when put in the same situation they would do the same thing.

I expect some people to give me flak. And that's ok. But if I worked at a convenience store and somebody paid $7 in silver quarters for smokes I shouldnt have to tell him there all silver, dont spend them. She was going to put them all through the coinstar anyway. I made her day by paying cash for face value...
Hell 10 years ago i worked part time at an exon station. Guy paid for 2 bucks of gas with two Morgan dollars..Granted those silver quarters may have been lifted somewhere as well as those 2 morgans. But there are indeed a lot of stupid people out there...........................................

I haven't posted in at least a month, but this one warrants a WOWZA! I have been envious of those finding silver below grade and you hit the bonanza without a detector!

I totally agree!!! I told that other guy that time that was upset about it a little story. This a true story!!!! A few years ago an old woman walked into a bank with five very old 5 dollar gold pieces. (American gold pieces) She told the teller who was a friend of my brother in law, "I would like 25$ for these." The teller tried to help & said, "maam, these are worth a lot more then 25$!!" They went back and forth a little bit. The woman again said, "I just want $25 please." The teller said, "you don't understand, these are worth a lot more then $25!" Finally, the old women had heard enough and said to the teller. "Are you going to give me 25$ or not???" So, the teller relented and gave her $25 and the woman handed her 5 beautiful old $5 AMERICAN GOLD PIECES!! The teller bought them. She kept one for herself and sold the other 4 to her coworkers for $5 each. So much for trying to be a nice helpful caring person. That old woman didn't want to go to a coin dealer, etc. etc. She just wanted $25 & that's what she got. End of story.

Look at it this way.If someone beats you down for paying 25 cents for 25 cents,then next time they go to a flea market,they might want to tell the guy at the booth he is way underpriced on so and so.You did the job of a picker.You just picked quarters.It's all good! Coinstar got a little payback today for overcharging:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom