"Diggers" Star looking for Suggestions..

Terry Soloman

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Caught this over at Treasurenet..

"The production company for the show Diggers ( not American Diggers ) contacted me today. They are working very hard on trying to re assess the show to provide a better experiance for all parties. He asked me to get in contact with some detectorists and help come up with some show ideas, places and some things we would like to see. I am suppose to get him a contact list of supporters that would like to help. This is not a list for people who hated the premere and want to tell him what a black eye this will give us. This is for people who want to help shape the show to make it better than it already was. We are still going to use the silly terms and get excited about a dumb coin, there is going to be more about ethics and such. They are aware of the issues that have been expressed and are working on them, so if you guys have any ideas on what you would like to see we would sure be grateful. And if some of you have ideas for sites that would be awsome also."

I left him my suggestion. :cool:

I'm not really sure I want to see a show about detecting. I think it will bring a lot of new people to the hobby, and as with anything that has mass numbers there's going to be more people not following the codes and thus do more harm to a hobby that already has to many restrictions placed by some cities and towns. We cant afford any more black eyes. That's my opinion....:cool:

I'm not really sure I want to see a show about detecting. I think it will bring a lot of new people to the hobby, and as with anything that has mass numbers there's going to be more people not following the codes and thus do more harm to a hobby that already has to many restrictions placed by some cities and towns. We cant afford any more black eyes. That's my opinion....:cool:

I agree mass production of the show will bring more people into the hobby thus ;eading to more people doing the wrong thing. Fortunately I think most will tired of digging and finding nothing but trash pretty quick. Only those that actually take the time and learn the hobby will remain.

If they are looking to do something with a more positive spin maybe have an episode where they don't necessarily focus on hunting but returning items such as class rings or other things where the owners can be found. This would help us look a little better in the public's eye not just a bunch of yahoos digging holes all over the place.

Each episode should convey the code of ethics good detectorists follow. This would show asking proper permission, using good digging techniques and also showing not just the prizes but the trash removed.

those are the thoughts of a newbie.

they need to explain the hobby better, go over the MD ethics rules, show the proper way to dig a plug & refill holes so as to not damage the property owners lawn. Maybe explain some of the different kinds of MDs & associated equipment.

I think incorporating the code of ethics into every show, and using them consistently, would bring the show into the educational/informative area, the National Geographic has had reputation for so long. They do incorporate humor at times, but has never been the focus.

I like the showing some of the trash idea, specially rusty nails and other sharp, potentially hazardous items. Lets people know it can be a little dangerous, gives everyone some idea of just how much of that stuff is in the ground. Would help out when asking for permission, and negate some of the unwanted digging image. Nobody wants to cut their foot open, or get a flat tire, on their own property (or anywhere, for that matter).

Would like them to push the recycling, it's metal, some can be reused, rather than be set to a landfill. Maybe most people aren't into saving or separating every little bit, but it's not hard to find a least one in every community, that does. Might not seem like much after each hunt, but adds up over time.

The show could still be interesting and entertaining, and educate and inform at the same time.

.....no way they would show the real events in detecting.....wouldn't be cash worthy and sure wouldn't run high Nielsen ratings....forget it...

aka- rusty nails

You tube has all the "shows" on detecting I want to see:shock: At least there you see the "real" hobby. Nuggetnoggin is a great place to start!

I just watched an episode of "American Diggers" and the guy is entertaining but it does sensationalize the hobby. But then that is TV for you! I don't want to see another show like that about detecting...American Pickers is bad enough! Lets leave it to real people on you tube! I love that place!

This was their problem from the beginning, TV producers are inherently unqualified to make a metal detecting show because MDing floats on a delicate and usually unspoken layer of honor to manage the relationship with people in government. This is not portrayable on TV even with community consent because asking the questions will harm the system. Mainly because the people in government are tacitly authorizing MDing even though the specific activities under the umbrella are already illegal in most cases. For example digging is banned, but "plug cutting" during MDing is not enforced as digging. (not as true lately) Putting that on TV will immediately destroy that trust.
They all just need to hush, and MDers need to stop tuning into these shows on digital cable because it up-votes the show's ratings.

Terry, my comments are not directed at you at all, just thoughts about the general issue. On that note I really look forward to your prospecting show, I think that will be awesome.

I agree 110%.....

I don't know. Personally I think people are already crashing the hobby, maybe a show that puts emphasis on the ethics and why we follow them would be a good thing. As it is people are getting started in this hobby thinking a garden shovel is a proper digging tool and leaving garbage that they don't want to carry out as an acceptable action. Sure, show the good finds being dug from the ground, but at the end of the show put out all the garbage you remove and let people know how many hours it takes between good finds and garbage. Remember there are plenty of people getting into this hobby that don't follow this website and they need to learn what's proper and what's not.

Wish Andy Rooneys son wouldn't have passed.The original "finders keepers" is all they need to play on a loop system! He dug shallow junk and liked it.So do we!!!

I've never seen it, not interested in watching it. But I think the areas of improvement would be inserting in each episode the ethics of our hobby. Getting permission, filling holes, proper plugs. Also noting that your not going to find Blackbeard's treasure 5 minutes after you go hunting.

Problem being is that TV producers have the brains of dog poo, so they probably won't do any of this, make things worse for us, and I might have to take up a new hobby involving high powered rifles and idiot TV producers as targets!!:lol:

Dont mind the show.....but they need to get a new vocab...
The (juice) and other slangs just sicken me

I'd love to be on TV....but sadly, the ladies tell me that I have a face for radio. :(

A face only a mother could love......:p!

:no:
Dont mind the show.....but they need to get a new vocab...
The (juice) and other slangs just sicken me

Agreed, where did they think this !!!! (crahp) up? It was sort of funny though, but like Pickers and Pawn Stars, the stuff is just so contrived. I can remember these two guys on Diggers having this language they had to describe every time they used it, "nectar" oh and a favorite "roundage" meaning a coin? And of course it was one treasure or near-treasure after another, never a soda cap or pulltab. Or the sneek-peek of a "gun" under a bush which ended up being a toy.

It would be better to run the detecting alongside some archeology, have a team of detectors running the out lieing area around a real find to local and give a real help to historical digging...make our hobby look like the real help it can be, not historical looting or every hole is a good one but true history photograghed in place and mapped out, maybe colored flags to show finds and then an ariel photo showing the finds and what they mean with perhaps a suggested dwelling or road or village placed over it.

Make the hobby more the way we see it when we detect over suggested sites and old known sites, make it fun and educational

Back
Top Bottom