Do you hock your finds?

Skwerly

Elite Member
How many of you hunters find a ring and hock it? Or sell old coins, watches, etc?

Also, if you do sell, what's your biggest money-maker to date?

I'm just curious. I think it'd be interesting to see who sells vs. who keeps. :)

Thanks!

I see that you are a newbie...

...whatever you do, DO NOT sell your gold to a pawn shop, you will be short-changed. Sell your gold to ARA for more money. Just trying to help you out.

I see that you are a newbie...

...whatever you do, DO NOT sell your gold to a pawn shop, you will be short-changed. Sell your gold to ARA for more money. Just trying to help you out.

Thanks!

Yes, I'm brand-new. My first detector is en route as we speak. I had a feeling the pawn shops would do nothing but irritate me, lol. :)

I found a 10k men's ring last month. It was in the dirt next to a driveway and had been crushed.

Due to the condition I didn't have a hard time parting with it.

4.5 grams.....I scrapped it for $85. That was about $18 under melt at the time but I only had to dig 2 around inches deep and drive a few minutes to the gold buyer. I then bought 3oz of silver with the $ for just under melt. Turning it into paper cash seemed silly...more intrinsic value to me in the silver dollars.

Everything else I wouldn't part with.

Clad quarter for size reference:
photobucket-5715-1328398274677.jpg

That could almost pass for one of the gold colored pulltabs when covered in dirt!:shock: Even in that condition...great find and smart idea to convert to silver.

Have sold a few things that I have found and didn't care enough to keep. I would say in total I have made around $250 in less than a year. Just use it for detector needs.

I'll sell most any of my finds as I have no attachment to them so when gold goes up to where I like off they go to the buyer I use :yes:

I try and keep my old gold unless its mangled or broken but anything new (fresh drops) go right in the scrap heap...

I usually keep everything. Once every other week I do cash in my clad. Still saving the $ though. The only non clad thing I have sold is a 2.4g 10Kplum ring. It was worth $54 in melt and I sold it to a neighbor for $150. Besides that I keep all silver and everything else.

What is ARA? For us noobs who don't know.

I'm a newbie also, but fortunately we have a great forum like this with friendly members that have advised me to the answer to the original question in this thread. I'm not sure what ARA stands for, but yes, www.aragold.com is the place to go to sell your gold finds. I can't remember exactly, but I think they give 90% of melt value, which you will not get anywhere else.

When I get enough gold, I will send it to ARA and do just as Patton said earlier in this thread, use the money for more gear. Afterall, this is the only hobby that pays.:lol:

For enough money, I'd sell any of my finds. I haven't sold any jewelry YET, but have sold some tokens. A pile of bills in my hand is a lot better than a couple of dug tokens, even rare ones. I don't collect them so cash is king.

ARA Gold

Looking at their web site, it appeared that one would have to have a business (tax numbers) to send gold. So, I called and found out that is not the case right now. Just a drivers license number will do. But, the rep did tell me that will be changing soon (no specific date) where a person sending in gold for recycling will have to be a business owner.

Back
Top Bottom