I hit the Jackpot with CHRing Half Dollars

frankiefry

Forum Supporter
So it's a rainy cold day, and I finish up work at 10 AM. I decided to drive to the next town to buy some coin rolls to take home and spend the day with. As I'm driving, I decided to bite the bullet and go big rather then the pennies, nickels and dimes I usually do. I get to the bank and ask the teller if she has any half dollars and she says she has $150, so I tell her that I would like $100 of them. I get them home and start to open the first roll and then notice some writing on the side of the paper. It says 1776-1976 bicentennial. Shucks, I think, I have gotten a bunch of already sorted halfs. Oh well, I might as well look at them anyway, since I drove 20 miles to get them. I look at about 4 rolls and they are all in order by date starting with 1971. But from here it gets better. LOL I find a roll that is marked 1965-1975!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. No way! Could this be a mistake? So I open the roll and dump it out onto the table and what do my wondering eyes see but silver halfs. 16 of them to be exact, out of the 20 in the roll. 3-1965, 4-1967, 6-1968 and 3-1969, plus 4-1975's. Now THAT'S what I call coin roll hunting at it's (almost) best. I took the rest of the rolls back to the bank after looking at them all, to get the other $50, just in case there was another 'roll from heaven' in that bunch, but no such luck the second time around. Was this beginners luck or what? I'm doing the Happy Dance for sure. : ) Good Luck to all in their future hunts, whether it's CHR, MD, or whatever.

P.S. I'll post a picture of the silver halfs in another post.

Very nice! I had some similar luck in the beginning. Even loose halves I could hear the silver as the teller handed them over. I got a couple dozen with silver in the first couple days. I thought "This is too easy, I am going to go for it big time!". So I found a bank I could get $500 bricks of halves from and opened an account there. Then I found another bank with a coin counting machine in the lobby and started another account there to drop off the non-keepers. I couldn't wait to get my first brick of halves! I got completely skunked! No silver! I got a couple proofs and gold plated novelty half out of the search. I haven't gone back for another brick since but have had luck just asking for halves anytime I am in a place that might have some. Recent returns to the bank have paid off the most. I am not convinced that the bricks were not sorted before bricked up. Congrats on your finds and don't stop. I know of many people in other forums who have found thousands of dollars in face value silver coins from roll hunting. :shock:

It's like your silver half shillings or crowns etc, from the pre-1950's. Half dollars in the US were silver prior to 1964, and partial silver from '65-69. Clad after that except for special S-mint proofs--even those do turn up in rolls at times.

not that they are rare but that silver is running about 13x face value so every silver .50c piece is worth about 6.50 and you just trade the rest back

I found a flea market near my home that pays 1.15 for "IKE" dollars.I ask at banks and sometimes they have some. Last time I got 45.00 dollars worth from the bank,kept some of the nice lower mintage ones,and still broke even.

I recycled my halfs today at lunch and got another $130. I'll post if I have any more luck. Keep those fingers and toes crossed. : )

For a while, when the 50 states quarters started coming out, I would buy them in roles from the bank and take them to a coin store which gave me 50 cents for each state quarter! I did that for a while then stopped... wonder why they paid like that when they could get them on their own...

Very cool, but as most newbies do, I have to ask - what is CHR? I know this will generate much laughter amongst you (and with me when I find out) but for the life of me I cannot figure it out!

Very cool, but as most newbies do, I have to ask - what is CHR? I know this will generate much laughter amongst you (and with me when I find out) but for the life of me I cannot figure it out!

Well, not CHR....CRH. Coin Roll Hunting....

As defined by Webster: What northerners do in the winter. :lol:

Yep, I goofed on my title because I was so excited. I meant CRH, but most of you already knew that. Anyway, I found 2 more 40%ers today out of the 13 rolls, so I think I'll try to keep the good times rolling in. (Pun intended) : )

Congrats!!!I heard that roll hunting can be very addictive as well:) got to try it for my self:yes:Good luck and HH

Back
Top Bottom