Love for the AT Pro ?

campnagle

Elite Member
Seems like at pro users are very loyal, try others but prefer the at and seem to all get good results. Makes me think I might be missing something.
The thing I don't care for is the $40 adapter to run other headphones.
Maybe I need to taste the kool-aid?

When it purchased my AT Pro in 2013, it was the best machine within my budget that allowed me to water hunt. I live inland, so salt water and highly mineralized soil wasn’t a concern. I’m also not really interested in coin or jewelry hunting. Relic hunting has always been my thing and is something the ATP works well for.

If were talking loyalty, I think Tesoro takes the cake. Anyone remember the Church of the Compadre?

The At Pro is terrific. You'll find tons with the AT Pro almost anywhere you use it. Plenty of evidence online and happy users to prove it.

It's a fantastic all around machine, and definitely a great affordable relic machine. The AT pro pinpoints like a dream, and it has really, really nuanced, descriptive audio once you learn its language. You need those features for relic hunting and you're not going to get them out of most inexpensive detectors. (The AT Max audio is different and I don't care much for it.)

With the 5x8 coil in the woods it's really easy to maneuver close to trees and objects, you can practically throw it and not break it, it's "deep enough", and those areas usually aren't all that trashy anyway. Throw on the standard coil for a bit more depth or get a third party large coil for the fields.

Yes, there are better choices if you're going to hunt saltwater or if you want to squeeze every coin or ring out of a site. I added an Equinox 800 because that's what I'm trying to do. So far it's not disappointing me. But, I'm also keeping the AT Pro around to mix things up, to use it in the woods, and for quick clad cherry picking hunts. In fact, if I could only have one detector I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. The AT Pro is more than enough detector for most dirt hunters.

Last edited:
I use the AT Pro and really like my machine! I get the chance to compare it to the Nox 600 and Nox 800 as my detecting buddies use those machines and we check each other's signals every so often. For the area of the country I detect in, these machines are all good choices. The Nox sure seems to find deep nickels, though the Pro is no slouch there either. My favorite points on the AT Pro are the tone quality, pinpointing, and simplicity of operation.

When it purchased my AT Pro in 2013, it was the best machine within my budget that allowed me to water hunt.

What he said. Although I am close enough to the ocean that if I were buying one today it would probably be the 800.

Right now my ATP is still working after 8 years with minimal maintenance cost. I don't have the coin to upgrade so I'll be using it until the cost of repair vs replacement ratio tips in that direction. When that happens I'll see what's available within my budget, which may or may not be an ATP.

Not so much loyalty as it’s a tried and proven machine..No hype,it’s not the fastest or the deepest,but just a true workhorse that you know what to expct out of it.

I'd been a loyal White's user for 36 years. Then, last October I won an AT Pro at a seeded hunt. I took it out for a test run and have been using it ever since. I sold my White's.…..I've found some deep silver with it so I know it will get me what I'm looking for.

The AT Pro and Max will find great targets. The key to that is detecting a site with great targets. YouTube is full of evidence. Garrett is also a good American company. The forums are full of stories of how well they treat people.

people misjudge the word loyalty. The people on this forum who are loyal to their brand/model of detector are loyal for a reason. Loyalty has to be earned by the brand and model. And in this case the AT Pro, XP Deus, or CTX3030 or what ever model or brand has earned the loyalty of their owner by being the right machine for their type of hunting and finding good stuff on a consistent basis. Then why change? no reason to unless there is undeniable historic proof of a better detector in the same price range.

I don't think any person on this forum is guilty of blind loyalty where they stick to a particular brand or model when it is time to make a change. We all read comparisons and make an informed decisions on what will be our next detector.

And if that new detector proves itself, then we be come loyal to our new detector.

The AT Pro was a great detector for me for 3 years. Am I loyal to my 800 I have had since march of 2018? Getting there, but for the first six months I thought I made a poor choice. It was a more complex and capable machine than I was ready for at the time. It really opened up my eyes on what it takes to be good at this hobby. It is more than just a hot machine.

people misjudge the word loyalty. The people on this forum who are loyal to their brand/model of detector are loyal for a reason. Loyalty has to be earned by the brand and model. And in this case the AT Pro, XP Deus, or CTX3030 or what ever model or brand has earned the loyalty of their owner by being the right machine for their type of hunting and finding good stuff on a consistent basis. Then why change? no reason to unless there is undeniable historic proof of a better detector in the same price range.

I don't think any person on this forum is guilty of blind loyalty where they stick to a particular brand or model when it is time to make a change. We all read comparisons and make an informed decisions on what will be our next detector.

And if that new detector proves itself, then we be come loyal to our new detector.

The AT Pro was a great detector for me for 3 years. Am I loyal to my 800 I have had since march of 2018? Getting there, but for the first six months I thought I made a poor choice. It was a more complex and capable machine than I was ready for at the time. It really opened up my eyes on what it takes to be good at this hobby. It is more than just a hot machine.

Performance is only part of my choosing a detector. Weight, Price, Ease of use, and of course being waterproof.

Seems like at pro users are very loyal, try others but prefer the at and seem to all get good results. Makes me think I might be missing something.
The thing I don't care for is the $40 adapter to run other headphones.
Maybe I need to taste the kool-aid?

You have a F 70 why goto another detector? Ok I can see going to a Minelab.:yes:

You have a F 70 why goto another detector? Ok I can see going to a Minelab.:yes:

Thinking another machine on ground I've pounded with my f70 might yield missed targets. To me nox users stare at display like a phone, more concerned about numbers than digging. I played with one, not for me.

Thinking another machine on ground I've pounded with my f70 might yield missed targets. To me nox users stare at display like a phone, more concerned about numbers than digging. I played with one, not for me.

All machines see different and imo all machines can hunt behind each other and find things the others missed.Mud uses the f70 /At pro combo and seems to do pretty good with that setup

All machines see different and imo all machines can hunt behind each other and find things the others missed.Mud uses the f70 /At pro combo and seems to do pretty good with that setup

I think not much would be missed by f70. A nox will see what others missed. Mudd sold all his detectors and kept his fisher.
E trac and ctx for deep silver.
Maybe a Tesoro vaqeuro supertuned.

Back
Top Bottom