The problem with high k gold

Mud, it's a completely different world over here. A 'snowflake' will get crushed over here. No mercy. Most of these guys have no jobs and no plan for a future. Just trying to find gold to put food on the table before the other guy does.

I would prefer them trying to push me around on the beach rather than robbing old ladies on the street.... for this reason I can begrudge them a little respect

Thats what I'm understanding from following your posts for years.....Over here, detecting is a retired rich old mans diversion or hobby...Gotta Class A parked at the beach, or a condo, and get themselves a rig to have an excuse to go out and wander around...Not so over there or in most of the World...Not when GOLD is involved and a guy has a family to feed with no prospects other than ransacking.....

Most Americans dont know a diddly dink about the value or history of gold, dont have to worry about making pay on the day to day...Never have had to ransack aggressively to find their daily needs....So yeah...Your posts regarding hunting in your AO put a hell of a lot into perspective...

We here do this for Fun, getting up and wandering down a nice beach, not a care in the World...But theres some people out there that do this Sport to Eat, and I doubt they enjoy it!....If you had to find enough gold to sustain a family on the daily, Who the hell would like this Sport?....

After about a week of Beach drysanding, if I had to support myself and my Family with my finds? Yeah..I'd be robbing old Ladies too...

Can you find some older, not used anymore, but were very popular spots from the 1960's? I would look in to where there used to be beach front bars or clubs or social gathering spots. I have a few spots I hit that today look just like any other stretch of beach, houses and all, but years ago there was a popular party spot there so it continues to give up the goodies.

Can you find some older, not used anymore, but were very popular spots from the 1960's? I would look in to where there used to be beach front bars or clubs or social gathering spots. I have a few spots I hit that today look just like any other stretch of beach, houses and all, but years ago there was a popular party spot there so it continues to give up the goodies.

Not possible here.

I seldom see more than one or two other hunters and that includes checking the web cams. God help anyone trying to survive off detector finds! I know guys who hunt 40 hours a week and pull in impressive stuff, but couldn't live on the income generated by it. Some times are pretty good, but on the whole one could do MUCH better at virtually any low paying job.
I tell people this is a hobby for people who are happy spending a thousand dollars to find pennies.

I seldom see more than one or two other hunters and that includes checking the web cams. God help anyone trying to survive off detector finds! I know guys who hunt 40 hours a week and pull in impressive stuff, but couldn't live on the income generated by it. Some times are pretty good, but on the whole one could do MUCH better at virtually any low paying job.
I tell people this is a hobby for people who are happy spending a thousand dollars to find pennies.
X2
I have counted up to 13+ hunters during a period of time on a stretch that I've hunted. My friends see the good stuff but I also tell them that I can go 3,4,5,6 (on rare occasions more) without finding a gold. I hunt 4-5 hours each time on average. Do the math and see how much "I make".

Grew up on Tybee island and in the hobby. Mostly relics and bottle digging. Love doing the beach for fun and easy practice. One summer got a little over 2 grand in melt value. Usually me and two retired guys on the norm. Once them laughable MD shows came on TV I've seen a spike in MD in my town. Most don't have the proper equipment for the wet beach sand and highly mineralized relic spots. Only had one problem with a fellow swinger. She had no common courtesy jumped right in front of me swinging her coil on my path. I laughed though. She was using a Garrett AT model and pendulum swinging. Two reasons I had no worries.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Are you in Japan or China? Or is that the beach just down from Chinatown?

I thought the same thing concerning the pic. It has a photo shopped look about it as well like the MD'er was added to the pic. As to what's happening.. with just about every show I've seen lately on TV some one was using a detector and that spreads desire. However, most will go to the beach a few times... find little to nothing and dump the detector in the back of the closet.

In a few years the detectors on TV wont show up as much and the craze will die down leaving those who perservere lots of sand with little competition. You want to help speed that along answer the questions about " What's the best thing you found" or "find anything good today" as "no not much just a few coins and trash". I always answer the "what's the best find" question as "My Wife" and move on.

Besides most of these new guys done have a clue as to what their machine is telling them or how to swing it.

Aloha, HH & GL

I thought the same thing concerning the pic. It has a photo shopped look about it as well like the MD'er was added to the pic. As to what's happening.. with just about every show I've seen lately on TV some one was using a detector and that spreads desire. However, most will go to the beach a few times... find little to nothing and dump the detector in the back of the closet.

In a few years the detectors on TV wont show up as much and the craze will die down leaving those who perservere lots of sand with little competition. You want to help speed that along answer the questions about " What's the best thing you found" or "find anything good today" as "no not much just a few coins and trash". I always answer the "what's the best find" question as "My Wife" and move on.

Besides most of these new guys done have a clue as to what their machine is telling them or how to swing it.

Aloha, HH & GL

The photo has hidden the guys face. Those detecting shows aren't on over here. Right now the detecting 'bubble' is getting bigger. On a Sunday night every single square inch of the beach has a detector over it at some point.
You would think the photo is fake.. how could anyone be so stupid to detect like that :laughing: .. I go through this daily

Treasure finds aren't bringing out all the newbie metal detectors hoping to jump on the money train. It's all the loose lips blasting their locations all over YouTube and social media. Don't get me wrong, it's fun trying to make entertaining video's on YouTube and attempting to get a channel/followers to subsidize a little income but when a person show's a hot spot/honey hole/or even a general beach it draws a MD crowd. Trust me I've done a few social experiments....Wanna make a video? Be sure NOT to say that your going to "Named" beach and then show a ring that you found there. Don't say where you're going/at and don't show obvious landmarks.
It used to be a pretty tight lipped hobby and now it seems that it's cool to tell the world where you are, what time you pee'd there and every penny found. .... A big part of this hobby is researching when and where to be, how to hit it and what you've found to keep others away from "your" spot. Imagine a gold miner NOT on a claim and blasting their info about how they just found a 1 ounce nugget at coordinates 12334.344.. What would you expect? Not saying the poster ever did this but Im generally just ranting.
BTW original poster: I am a Lead Commercial Aircraft Mechanic for one of the top 3 US airlines. I make about 140k a yr and I MD as a hobby. It gets me out of the house ( I usually hunt at night) and it is very relaxing, great exercise and I could NEVER imagine making a living pulling mostly clad on every hunt with the occasional 200.00 gold ring at melt cost. I spend more money on gas/repairs/lunch per hunt that I pull in. It's not a hobo sport by any means esp at the beach when an entry level machine is about 700.00. I own a CTX, a NOX800 and a highly modified excal blue. I know others who are also professionals. Yes most are retired old farts though.. Can you blame a retired guy for getting out? Can you blame a 20 something interested in the hobby for what it is? It's a hard earning, physical slot machine.. Every swing is a pull of the slot handle. You just don't know what you might get...

I just say deal with it and be better than the next guy. Sometimes I wait for a guy to leave and I go over his lines. And guess what? I find stuff that they've missed and laugh... Then another guy probably goes over my last line and finds something to. It's NEVER hunted out and a 3 degree swing difference might find something that was missed 5 times over

Attachments

• 4cfHV9Tb_400x400.jpg
    4cfHV9Tb_400x400.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 146
Treasure finds aren't bringing out all the newbie metal detectors hoping to jump on the money train. It's all the loose lips blasting their locations all over YouTube and social media. Don't get me wrong, it's fun trying to make entertaining video's on YouTube and attempting to get a channel/followers to subsidize a little income but when a person show's a hot spot/honey hole/or even a general beach it draws a MD crowd. Trust me I've done a few social experiments....Wanna make a video? Be sure NOT to say that your going to "Named" beach and then show a ring that you found there. Don't say where you're going/at and don't show obvious landmarks.
It used to be a pretty tight lipped hobby and now it seems that it's cool to tell the world where you are, what time you pee'd there and every penny found. .... A big part of this hobby is researching when and where to be, how to hit it and what you've found to keep others away from "your" spot. Imagine a gold miner NOT on a claim and blasting their info about how they just found a 1 ounce nugget at coordinates 12334.344.. What would you expect? Not saying the poster ever did this but Im generally just ranting.
BTW original poster: I am a Lead Commercial Aircraft Mechanic for one of the top 3 US airlines. I make about 140k a yr and I MD as a hobby. It gets me out of the house ( I usually hunt at night) and it is very relaxing, great exercise and I could NEVER imagine making a living pulling mostly clad on every hunt with the occasional 200.00 gold ring at melt cost. I spend more money on gas/repairs/lunch per hunt that I pull in. It's not a hobo sport by any means esp at the beach when an entry level machine is about 700.00. I own a CTX, a NOX800 and a highly modified excal blue. I know others who are also professionals. Yes most are retired old farts though.. Can you blame a retired guy for getting out? Can you blame a 20 something interested in the hobby for what it is? It's a hard earning, physical slot machine.. Every swing is a pull of the slot handle. You just don't know what you might get...

Most are in their 20s or early 30s trying to do this as a job. No finds pouch. If it's not a pm it's getting left beside the hole. Coins are easily notched out due to the metal contents. If they see you walking a line they will run in front of you. If they see you digging holes close to eachother, they will be there within minutes. It is what it is.... just need to ride this mania out. Most if not all are finding next to nothing...

Last edited:
Well now that you mention the lack of etiquette, it just pisses me off hearing about it!:mad: I'm thinking you need to educate these guys a bit... Maybe they actually don't realize that what they are doing is wrong. When I went into management at work I had to take several courses dealing with characteristics of people and how to deal with them. One topic was to never assume that an employee (or person in general) is doing something just to spite you. They may simply have no understanding of how their actions are perceived by others. Good or bad.. If possible, have a conversation with one or more of them and let them know what's up and why it is that way. Not a cover your damn hole you #$@#, but a "you should cover your hole so that an early AM jogger doesn't twist an ankle and make all MD'er's look like jerks. And if all else fails bring a ring with you, walk into their line and act like you found it.. That'll hurt!!!!:lol::lol:

X2
I have counted up to 13+ hunters during a period of time on a stretch that I've hunted. My friends see the good stuff but I also tell them that I can go 3,4,5,6 (on rare occasions more) without finding a gold. I hunt 4-5 hours each time on average. Do the math and see how much "I make".

'bout the same as I do, hunting land. :) Somewhere between 40-60 hours of detecting for each gold...

Skippy

Aqua,
I know a guy that does and even his name and where he found it. That's why his home has been broken into a couple of times.

My house was robbed a little over a year ago. Lucky score is my guess... 7 or 8 apartments were robbed within a few months.
I've called it quits for the for the foreseeable future... not exactly fun having to compete against a couple dozen guys every night that like to run 10 yards in front of where ever I'm headed.

Well now that you mention the lack of etiquette, it just pisses me off hearing about it!:mad: I'm thinking you need to educate these guys a bit... Maybe they actually don't realize that what they are doing is wrong. When I went into management at work I had to take several courses dealing with characteristics of people and how to deal with them. One topic was to never assume that an employee (or person in general) is doing something just to spite you. They may simply have no understanding of how their actions are perceived by others. Good or bad.. If possible, have a conversation with one or more of them and let them know what's up and why it is that way. Not a cover your damn hole you #$@#, but a "you should cover your hole so that an early AM jogger doesn't twist an ankle and make all MD'er's look like jerks. And if all else fails bring a ring with you, walk into their line and act like you found it.. That'll hurt!!!!:lol::lol:

You must have not read all the previous post. He is in China and the regular metal detecting rules don't apply there at the beach at least.

Back
Top Bottom