Myrtle Beach encounter

shedncoin

Was at Myrtle Beach with my family this past weekend. Saturday I looked down the beach and saw a fellow working an undisclosed area with his detector. Well since my machines were at home I figured I'd hang back and at least watch someone else find some goodies.
As I got closer I could see he was using an Equinox 6 or 800 and having not seen one in person I figured I'd have to be "one of those people " and disturb the poor guy with a bunch of silly questions.
Turns out it was Jim, the author of Gold Beneath the Waves. What a super nice guy. He gave me an education on the Nox 800, we told some stories, and I enjoyed the conversation before letting him back his business.
Nice to meet you Jim, ordered your book to btw.

Nice! Sounds like you made a good decision by going and talking to him. I live about 1.5 hrs north of myrtle in wilmington. Very rarely get approached by anyone but the occasional tourist. Always fun to talk with another MDer. I have yet to see another EQX on the beach this year.

Really cool, I was there 2 weeks ago as well. Saw one older guy swinging what appeared to be a Bounty Hunter like a pendulum in the dry sand carrying a little plastic hand scoop. Didn't appeared to be very personable so I just let him walk by. Also came across a 16 year old hitting the totlot on the beach. I did stop and speak with his family for a little bit. He had like a 15 year old BH as well but he was still getting targets, not alot but I guess he found a small silver ring they day before. The were from out PA way if I recall correctly. He seem to have the machine down and form looked good. I recommended the Forum to them, not sure if they will show up but it was a fun chat. Didn't bring my own though, wife told me if I took it I would be buried in the surf with it. :lol:

Good to hear Jim is Ok, not seen him post in awhile. Must be laying low.

Really cool, I was there 2 weeks ago as well. Saw one older guy swinging what appeared to be a Bounty Hunter like a pendulum in the dry sand carrying a little plastic hand scoop. Didn't appeared to be very personable so I just let him walk by. Also came across a 16 year old hitting the totlot on the beach. I did stop and speak with his family for a little bit. He had like a 15 year old BH as well but he was still getting targets, not alot but I guess he found a small silver ring they day before. The were from out PA way if I recall correctly. He seem to have the machine down and form looked good. I recommended the Forum to them, not sure if they will show up but it was a fun chat. Didn't bring my own though, wife told me if I took it I would be buried in the surf with it. :lol:

If my wife made that threat, I'd take my chances!

Back
Top Bottom