Safari with me?

I like my Safari just fine. It is not slower than the SE or the etrac and is just as deep and just as good of a silver sniffer as the other two. It only lacks as much target ID and a backlight and that is about all. It has fewer owner custom discrim patterns also, but like it's more expensive brothers it is a heavy machine. Another plus is that there are a ton of good aftermarket coils available, all that fit the SE and etrac work on the Safari.

Great reply!

Last edited:
FWIW, a ML repair tech shared with me that the CPU in many (but the all) of the SE Pro's is the same as the etrac. I also read how the more disc patterns u run, the more work it is for the CPU and it slows down the machine. However, only time I notice a significant CPU speed difference is when hunting with big coils in trashy areas and going from an original explorers S/XS or quattro to an sepro or etrac.
Anyhow, I'm sure a deal will pop up and I look forward to seeing what detector u add to ur arsenal. :cool:

$600-$700 used, You just can't beat a Safari, Deep, Runs Stable, Medium Sweep speed works good, Hunt site is A Little Trashy, small coil is a must.

If there's a coin in The ground The Safai will find it Deep. The Safari on Heavy Iron infested sites, (NO) to be Fair 90% of the detectors out there will also choke.

The Deus works wonders in iron infestation, but lacks depth in non iron sites. How much money do you want to spend...?

I was a little nervous about the speed of the machine as you are when I first purchased mine. I went to my local dealer with plans on buying the Safari. He offered me his last SE Pro for less than the Safari was selling for. Obviously I couldn't pass that up. Now that I have it I do not worry about the speed at all. The only time I have to slow down is in very trashy areas, which I had to do with any of my past detectors. You won't regret the Safari.

How would you compare it to the Excalibur for speed?

I think I may go for it, (The Safari lol)

The Excalibur is setting any speed records but I'm doing alright with it. I'm a little less concerned now.

Go with the E-trac

Hello, I was wondering if anyone spent any time using the Safari and the Xterra?

First a little background, I know I should get the Etrac and have read that many times. I agree with this. The down side to this research is the Safari never gets much elaboration as the person usually goes for the Etrac, end of thread.

So what's my problem? Money, lol. I have already this summer purchased a new Excalibur, Stealthscoop and used tin boat for the water. I still need to rig up my trailer and get a motor etc...so while I "could" buy the Etrac, it is borderline irresponsible for me to do so lol.

When I purchased the Excalibur, I was real close to purchasing the Etrac instead, but I stuck to the plan and went with the water machine.

Now that I have tried the BBS, I got to have the FBS for a land machine, I can't shake the fever.
(The BBS is a good 25-30% deeper then my V-flex machine.)

When I purchased my Xterra, I did a lot of research and chose the 505 instead of the 705. I lost a little Disc resolution, backlight and auto GB by going with the 505, but I can say I never missed it or regretted my decision.
I saved a few bucks and put that towards extra coils.
(The down side to this is if I were to buy any more coils, I'm definitely into the Safari/Etrac type investment.)

So back to the Safari, word on the street is that it's slow, but is it unbearably slow?
I have watched some YouTube videos, it seems to be fine, but I am a bit apprehensive, I saw a chart on the internet that showed it to be one of the slowest detectors out there, but the chart did not have an Xterra speed for comparison.

Is the TID any better then the Xterra series?
From what I gather from the videos, it performs similarly to the Xterra (Tones etc)so I should be good with not having the abundant options of the Etrac, just wondering if I can expect some improvement in the TID in general, or at depth.

I read the depth is pretty close to the Etrac, so I don't think that is an issue.

I read the Etrac is better in dense trash then the Safari, but how would the Safari compare to an Xterra in the same trash?

I guess that's basically it, just looking for some feedback on the Safari vs Xterra to make me feel a little more confident about this decision.

P.S. I haven't ruled out a used Etrac, there is one a few hours away for $1400 obo, but that is close to the price of a new one. Also I am a little concerned about counterfeits floating around which is why I went with the new Excal instead of a used one. (That and the warranty)

Thanks
I used both in the field the E-trac is the superior machine
Running great prices on the E-trac call me
dennis

the safari is the machine iv'e been using for 3 years now ,don't know much about the other machines.i feel as if I know enough about this machine to say it is a good machine but from what I see on youtube the etrac is worth the wait , only a few hundred dollars more . the safari tid numbers are not much help ,too many good targets fall under the same # I find myself more of a tone hunter because of this fact ,it is a deep machine ,but the ferrous/conductive display is a big plus on the other machines ,it's been said that the safari is a dumb down version of an etrac and I would have to agree. all machines will eventually pay for themselves so don't fret about the price too much . I will say, and it's just my opinion but the ctx 3030 is way over priced no machine is worth that kind of money sorry.

Check out the xp deus couple hundred more and I own both the safari and xp deus and the deus blew it out the water the first day

I have to agree with you, I recently traded in my Safari for a Deus and am loving it. My Safari was my go to machine for Silver and I knew if I kept it I may not give the Deus it's fair shake. The Deus is an ear machine IMO and if you mainly hunt by ear the tones on the Deus has a lot to say if your willing to listen.

I have to agree with you, I recently traded in my Safari for a Deus and am loving it. My Safari was my go to machine for Silver and I knew if I kept it I may not give the Deus it's fair shake. The Deus is an ear machine IMO and if you mainly hunt by ear the tones on the Deus has a lot to say if your willing to listen.
I hunted with the deus 4 times and here is my take so far at places I've pounded
aecb67ef83eed05e3f0e220d0474fc69.jpg
130995f3818bf9f57e5b6b91278808fa.jpg

The whole BBS soveriegn to sovereign, FBS FBS11 .... Explorer's, ETrac ,Safari, CTX comparison talk has been going on forever.
There is bugger -all difference between them. In all reality it's up to each individual user to nut out wether they hunt tone-wise or VID or both and choose a unit from the line up in the end that suits their style.
I've owned them all and still have the ETrac with stock coil but do not use it as I bought it for saltwater beaches but never detect them, but will never sell it. Still have the Safari with small coil and prefer it to the ETrac with small coil on, only because it suits me better because I get more profitable hunts in with the Safari.

But I prefer XTerra's over them all, 305's especially, as they are so much more enjoyable to my hearing as the tonage is much smoother than the FBS grind. And set up right, they are the same depthwise in comparison to the FBS. The single freq units have a much greater advantage over FBS in highly mineralized ground too so they suit me better.

It simply doesn't matter if you run a Quattro, CTX or Safari ,ETrac, XTerra..... or even a Deus, if you know the unit well and spend more time on one knee with the pinpointer on than you do waltzing around upright all day, your finds will be quadrupled.

I've owned multiple machines,and us to think one was better than the last cause I found things I missed with the last one.Now I know things are always missed,user era or just plain missed it.with or way,no place is ever hunted out,and a ace 250 might find somthing a more expensive machine missed.I'm with above poster,it's preferance

The Safari is not a machine to hunt a tot lot at a fast pace to find a bunch of clad. It's a slower machine for a reason, it finds deep silver. I used an AT Pro and its a great machine but it lacks depth. I found more silver with the Safari in 3 hunts than I did in a year with the AT Pro.

Actually the Xterra has been doing well lately, the other day I did get 5 silvers including an 1886 Canadian dime. I had to run the machine really hot, the coins were right at the edge of depth and identification.
However now that the ground has dried up, so have the finds.

I am surprised to hear that the Xterra is as deep as the Etrac, but I have never compared them.

I did air test the Xterra against the Excalibur, there was a noticeable difference in depth between the two.
This was why I was considering the Safari, thought it might give me that little extra bit of depth.

While I don't know the circuitry in either machine, the Xterra is a 6 volt machine while the Excalibur is a 13 volt machine and that might translate into more power at the coil.

The panic to upgrade has subsided for the time being.

I will agree the Xterra is a nice sounding machine, as long as it's not bouncing from -9 to 48 all the time. :p

Thanks for the replies.

Most lower single freq units are deeper in highly minerlized ground over the FBS. Pennypacker, and the XTerra's with stock 7.5kHz concentric really rocks it.
The reverse happens on wet beaches of coarse.

The Safari is a damn fine unit, and deep ID. Very heavy in comparison.

TDi SL

Hello, I was wondering if anyone spent any time using the Safari and the Xterra?

First a little background, I know I should get the Etrac and have read that many times. I agree with this. The down side to this research is the Safari never gets much elaboration as the person usually goes for the Etrac, end of thread.

So what's my problem? Money, lol. I have already this summer purchased a new Excalibur, Stealthscoop and used tin boat for the water. I still need to rig up my trailer and get a motor etc...so while I "could" buy the Etrac, it is borderline irresponsible for me to do so lol.

When I purchased the Excalibur, I was real close to purchasing the Etrac instead, but I stuck to the plan and went with the water machine.

Now that I have tried the BBS, I got to have the FBS for a land machine, I can't shake the fever.
(The BBS is a good 25-30% deeper then my V-flex machine.)

When I purchased my Xterra, I did a lot of research and chose the 505 instead of the 705. I lost a little Disc resolution, backlight and auto GB by going with the 505, but I can say I never missed it or regretted my decision.
I saved a few bucks and put that towards extra coils.
(The down side to this is if I were to buy any more coils, I'm definitely into the Safari/Etrac type investment.)

So back to the Safari, word on the street is that it's slow, but is it unbearably slow?
I have watched some YouTube videos, it seems to be fine, but I am a bit apprehensive, I saw a chart on the internet that showed it to be one of the slowest detectors out there, but the chart did not have an Xterra speed for comparison.

Is the TID any better then the Xterra series?
From what I gather from the videos, it performs similarly to the Xterra (Tones etc)so I should be good with not having the abundant options of the Etrac, just wondering if I can expect some improvement in the TID in general, or at depth.

I read the depth is pretty close to the Etrac, so I don't think that is an issue.

I read the Etrac is better in dense trash then the Safari, but how would the Safari compare to an Xterra in the same trash?

I guess that's basically it, just looking for some feedback on the Safari vs Xterra to make me feel a little more confident about this decision.

P.S. I haven't ruled out a used Etrac, there is one a few hours away for $1400 obo, but that is close to the price of a new one. Also I am a little concerned about counterfeits floating around which is why I went with the new Excal instead of a used one. (That and the warranty)

Thanks

Need any help with the TDI SL give me a call, great pulse induction machine.
dennis

I just thought I would update this thread.

Yes I have been raking my brain this whole time, I've flip-flopped at least 10 time since I posted in this thread last.

I was all set to drive to the city to buy the Safari, however I decided to call first to see if they would consider trades. They said they would.
I really, really wanted to keep my Xterra to give to a family member or to have as backup, but I thought I shouldn't be so greedy.

I also stopped into the local refinery and sold some of the gold I have been finding with the Excalibur to make the purchase a little less painful. Figured I may as well spend some of it, after all that is why we look for gold.

I now have the Etrac. Between the gold and the trade-in, it cost me similar to what the Safari would have cost outright.

Thanks all who have contributed, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom