Round 4: An Unlikely CRH result

Bwwwahhhaaa! Yesterday I was trying to find the recent post where someone was bragging about the coin machine printing out slips for much more cash than they put it but couldn't find it. That's what this post reminded me of. If a teller is making enough mistakes a day that they would be working for free they better start looking for a new occupation. I cashed a check once (drive through) and the teller put an extra hundred dollar bill in the envelope. I know I'm cute and all but I thought maybe she did it by mistake. I made a loop right around the block and gave it back. That was my choice. What someone else does in a case like this ($5) is none of my business. I mean....what's okay and what's not? Taking silver from a coinstar machine? After all it does belong to someone. Or how about cashing in a ticket from coin machine that is way more than you put in? That's not your money is it? Clad.....silver and gold rings......a dollar bill left on top a payphone. Who sets the rules how hard we must try to find the owner of an item or take time out of our day to correct a teller or cashier that screwed up? One persons loss and anothers gain.....that's detecting no matter how you sugarcoat it. How hard you try to return whatever item(s) you have gained from is your own choice. Most of us set our standards to accommodate only ourselves.

Bwwwahhhaaa! Yesterday I was trying to find the recent post where someone was bragging about the coin machine printing out slips for much more cash than they put it but couldn't find it. That's what this post reminded me of. If a teller is making enough mistakes a day that they would be working for free they better start looking for a new occupation. I cashed a check once (drive through) and the teller put an extra hundred dollar bill in the envelope. I know I'm cute and all but I thought maybe she did it by mistake. I made a loop right around the block and gave it back. That was my choice. What someone else does in a case like this ($5) is none of my business. I mean....what's okay and what's not? Taking silver from a coinstar machine? After all it does belong to someone. Or how about cashing in a ticket from coin machine that is way more than you put in? That's not your money is it? Clad.....silver and gold rings......a dollar bill left on top a payphone. Who sets the rules how hard we must try to find the owner of an item or take time out of our day to correct a teller or cashier that screwed up? One persons loss and anothers gain.....that's detecting no matter how you sugarcoat it. How hard you try to return whatever item(s) you have gained from is your own choice. Most of us set our standards to accommodate only ourselves.

I think in all of those cases, it's impossible to ever give it back to the rightful owner.

Would you take a random $5 bill on the ground?

Would you take the same $5 if you saw someone in front of you drop it?

Perhaps that is the difference?

Would you take a random $5 bill on the ground?

Would you take the same $5 if you saw someone in front of you drop it?

Perhaps that is the difference?

Exactly...one is a windfall, one is an honest mistake.

Integrity defines what you do in the latter instance.

At the very least if the coin machine prints out a ticket valued at much more than you fed into it you could alert the teller of such so they could attempt to correct whatever problem it is or....well.....you could get on line and brag about someone else's misfortune and that you hope it happens again. Oh wait...brag about benefiting from someone else's misfortune....I guess that is what we all do. I didn't say I wouldn't have given the 5 bucks back....its not relevant if I would have. Point is it isn't for us to say if someone else should have done. Again.....who draws the line on what each of us is required to do in an attempt to return an item that isn't ours? We all do, we make that decision for ourselves and live with it whatever it may be. If we find an item and are unable to locate the owner why not donate it to a charity? After all....it isn't ours. With that said I do donate a pretty substantial amount to a locally charity each year that takes less fortunate kids shopping for Christmas. They get a $50 Walmart gift card each and can buy whatever they want. They are encouraged to find an item for themselves but many want to get something instead for their mother....or little sister. One little boy last year just wanted a new bed sheet set. He said he never had new sheets before. This year we took over 500 children shopping. I guess what I'm saying.....to each his own. If you are fine with what you do leave it at that. Sometimes its just better to "shrug it off" and move on when there is something we read on this forum we don't exactly agree with 100%. Merry Christmas everyone from Big Sky Country. Wishing you happiness and most of all health.

Honesty

Where do you draw the line. What if it were a thousand dollars? I say, no matter how much money you got by mistake, give it back, or you are being dishonest. But that's just who I am.

Back
Top Bottom