$1 Coin... Who uses them?

TheCoilist

Elite Member
I am curious... I have since started becoming more aware of the movement to push more $1 coins into the pockets of Americans. It would phase out the paper dollar.

I won't go into the reasons of why one is better than the other. However, I think I am basically FOR the coin. I hardly use paper cash anyway as I am a habitual debit card user. I do however use change and coins for smaller items under a dollar.

I want to know how you guys feel about this? In respect to our hobby that is. I mean think about it. If we phase out paper money (Starting with the $1) your metal detecting finds would skyrocket. Your return on investment (ROI) would be quicker and more economical. Think of the pocket spills that would include a dollar coin...

A couple links:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2011-10-24/dollar-enters-deficit-debate/50898164/1

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h2977/show

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdque...tB3Z:@@@L&summ2=m&|/home/LegislativeData.php|

I use them every now and then. Although it's entertaining when you get the the "Deer in the Headlights Look" from the cashier. :D:D. If I remember correctly the U.S. Mint is running a series of these through 2016.

There are so many of these coins in storage at the US mint, it's going to have to spend over 300,000$ in 2012 to build a new storage unit. Something like 2 BILLION $1 coins in storage in 2012!

Lets USE THEM and LOSE them so I can find them!! I could use 2 BILLION worth of coins

I use coin all the time!! There not worth much more than a dollar. I'll just add them to the clad and get that propionter.

They are pretty much a novelty, just like a postage stamp in my eyes. Can't really remember the last time I used either one.

The bill H.R. 2977 that was introduced this year wants to rid of the paper dollar and produce coins. We as a community should get behind this bill and push it through. :) I need to get a new detector soon!

I use them on occasion, usually in machines. Seems like that's the only place I ever get them anyway. It would be a nice way to go if the govt went with $1 and $5 coins instead of paper, but mainly that's because I detect. :D :D :D Otherwise I mostly tend to use a card for my purchases, rarely do I carry any money whatsoever.

If they didn't look like they were minted by the same folks who make the Chuck E. Cheese tokens, I'd think about using them. Personally, they are so cheap looking I dont have any interest in carrying or circulating them. What happened to our currency? :no:

Soon

No fear we'll have the Chinese making our money before long.

If they didn't look like they were minted by the same folks who make the Chuck E. Cheese tokens, I'd think about using them. Personally, they are so cheap looking I dont have any interest in carrying or circulating them. What happened to our currency? :no:

lol, i use them (and the $2 coins) every day. :lol:

i know the debate goes on down there in the US about the $1 coin, but i'll sat one thing: it's some nice digging them up! and the $2's. the clad adds up in a hurry! ;)

I think it would be great. Again I use plastic, but I think it would be an adjustment. However, look at the countries that use ONLY coinage. Single coins can be upwards of like 10 bucks for a single coin (clad). To me that would take pocket spills to a whole new level.

I am down for it! Write your congressman!

I like them, and I use them often. Based on how long a paper dollar last compared to a coin, It seems to be the way to go. I also would love digging one up, or 2, or 3. :)

Keeping 2 of each year for the kids when they get older. They will probably never be worth anything more than a dollar but they look pretty sweet in a Dark Blue Whitman folder.

$1 coin

we have a ice machine that gives these in change, you get a bag of ice 3 -1dollar coins+75cents if you use a 5 dollar bill. cool huh.

Back
Top Bottom