$2000.00 Nickel 1942 D ??? help

Northeastdecals

ok I found a Nickel today a 1942 D but im confused because my price guide said its worth between $750 - $2000 and I did a search and found this site my nickel has the D ??? http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1110&Lot_No=530&type=&ic= Im just hoping its the same error PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let it be the error!!!!

1942Dnickelerrorcoin.jpg

High Five!

I hope it is.

Now you just have to find someone to buy a nickel for $2k.

I'm afraid to burst your bubble but the odds are 98% against your nickel...unless, you can see some trace of a mintmark on either side of the D. That year there was a horizontal mintmark on a few of the coins, thus the price. Hope this clarifies it for you....take it to a coinshop! HH
NC

I'm afraid to burst your bubble but the odds are 98% against your nickel...unless, you can see some trace of a mintmark on either side of the D. That year there was a horizontal mintmark on a few of the coins, thus the price. Hope this clarifies it for you....take it to a coinshop! HH
NC
looks like a regular mint mark to me as well. But errors are stil out there.

I can't tell from these pictures, but if it was a D/D, the price tag would not be $750 to $2000, those are mint state coins. The one on heritage is graded MS-63 FS, FS (Full Step) coins demand an even higher price because the 5 steps on Monticello are well defined. My price guide says in VF the D/D coin is worth $35, but I'd say that one is G-VG with that big rim nick, so if it is the D/D I'd not expect anymore than $15 from a dealer, but you could probably get more on ebay.

Grading has the most impact on the price of coins, just because a certain grade isn't listed in a price guide doesn't mean that it can't have that grade.

Thank you for all the info, I used soap to clean it and it does have and extra line on each side of the D, it does look like the error, Im still happy!!! I found it metal detecting yesterday an its in a lot better shape then other coins I have found. still a keeper!!!:D

Thats not a nick in the nickel that's part of the magnified glass I will try to take a better pic and post it

Thank you for all the info, I used soap to clean it and it does have and extra line on each side of the D, it does look like the error, Im still happy!!! I found it metal detecting yesterday an its in a lot better shape then other coins I have found. still a keeper!!!:D

Thats not a nick in the nickel that's part of the magnified glass I will try to take a better pic and post it

Good thing thats not a nick, that'll make the price $20-$30, good for something thats only worth 5 cents :tumble:

Back
Top Bottom