Return to the old church site, more goods.

Fooleeze

So I was able to return to the old church site I discussed in this thread...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=270590

This time I took a large trash bag to remove some of the surface trash, and slowed my search a bit digging nearly every signal better than junk iron.

I was really lucky to pull three more Indian head pennies, a 1936 Merc dime, two old buttons, part of an suspender buckle or clip. A nice old square nail, part of a harmonica Reed, and what I believe is part of an umbrella or parasol.

The three Indian Heads came from the same 10-ft area that three of the previous ones did. The three this time are dated 1864, 1874 ,and 1887. This site has now produced 7 IHPs. All 7 dates are 64, 70, 74, 74, 74, 80, 87. I couldn't be happier with this.

The mercury dime was a small squeaky signal, but it was clear, so I dug it, it was close to 7 - 8 inches deep. After pulling all of those old IHPs, when I saw silver in the hole, my heart jumped. I was 'bummed' to find a merc. (I'm happy with the merc, but to date, I've never pulled any silver older than a merc, would love to find a barber or something older like that).

Regarding the buttons, the larger one is clearly a military button, has an eagle on it, head pointing to the left, I believe it is holding arrows in its talons. It's a concave 1-piece button, but I don't see any back-marks. The second button is smaller, perhaps cuff or vest size. The only thing I can make out on the back mark is the word "Rich." The front seems to be plain.

I was semi-excited about the square nail, as it is the best example I've ever pulled. Really good condition, no major rust to speak of. I believe this is because it was probably in a fire, meaning the old church may have burned down.

I'm ecstatic about this location, and will make another trip to see if there is anything I missed. There isn't THAT much trash, and anything I'm getting more than an inch or two deep is really old. I'd still love to find something silver older than a mercury dime, or maybe a large cent. But if I don't, I'm still really happy. It's been a fun little site.

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_212355.jpg
    IMG_20190223_212355.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20190223_212421.jpg
    IMG_20190223_212421.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 190
Back
Top Bottom