So if I have a iron nail and a silver dime

fuzzymaster

In the same hole, will the vdi number be an average of the two metals? I just came from a really trashy site and skipped alot of 16 , 17, 18 signals.

Sometimes but not always...The possibilities are endless...We practice with multidenom stacks...We take a P on top of a N, We take a $10 gold coin underneath a lead hem weight or a jack knife...We consider a Morgan dollar with 3 Indian pennies on top like in a slanted spill and toss in a V nickle...and toss a gum wrapper or a pulltab over head..

so yeah..All the crisp clear single pings are long gone, especially in Public Parks, so a fellow has got to go hunt for the masked bastard signals, multidenom spills slants and stacks.......Prove it to yourself!

Go put a buff Nickle on top of a silver dollar coin and see what your rig says? Dig,? Hell, put a $5 gold coin on top of a seated Q and tell me thats not a bottlecap! Then introduce a jack knife..and so on and so forth...

In the same hole, will the vdi number be an average of the two metals? I just came from a really trashy site and skipped alot of 16 , 17, 18 signals.

Lots of possibilities.
Don’t know which detector you are using.

You may find this video I did helpful.
Mixing a nickel with a dime comparing Nokta Anfibio multi, Minelab Etrac and Minelab Equinox 800.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EewdOH7wy20

Last edited:
Using a nox 600. Coming from a couple years with a vaquero, so I'm used to digging alot. Now with the equinox I hav e alot more information.

With most any combined targets with nearly any machine, there are just too many variables to predict what any signals could be. Your correct, you normally will get blended signals. But unfortunately that's about the only consistant response you can count on.

Averaging of targets.
Yep lower, mid and high conductive nonferrous, a VLF detector can average mixed conductivity targets and present average ID.

Size of the junk nonferrous, its orientation to the preferred nonferrous find like a higher conductive coin, the influence this junk find(s) can have will vary.

Is the junk target above plane of coin?
How big is junk target?
How many of the junk targets near coin?
And don’t forget ferrous could be present too.

Size of coil can drive actual outcome ID wise too.
Freq used can drive outcome too.
As far as nonferrous mid and lower conductors junk affectingly ID of higher conductice typically nicer finds we want to dig. Lower freqs used with a detector will provide some advantage. Freq range of 3-6 kHz.

Detectors operating in the 12-15 khz will not be as good at giving closer to real ID on these situations involving junk targets.

If we introduce ferrous only to the equation. Some detectors like Minelab Etrac and CTX have ferrous readout capability. Lots of times on higher conductors likes silver they will give good to stellar ID conductive number wise yet the ferrous number will be higher. But not read into what is designated as iron range.

If we look at Minelab Equinox.
Its tendency is to give good to stellar ID while using multi freq on lower range conductive targets mixed with ferrous. Higher conductive targets ID has higher chance of being skewed lower ID wise. Much of this behavior likely caused by use of higher freqs in the multi freq transmission and or processing.

Some detectors like Xp Deus can infact tonally give a signal on nonferous mixed with ferrous with ID in error and be surprisingly lower. Even report ID wise BELOW disc setting and read in what is designated ideally as iron range. Deus can give ID of for example as 00,01, 02, 03, 04,05, and 06 in meter. All these are generally consider ID of actual ferrous.

Best advice I can give. Take your detector that is new to you. Experiment with on top of the ground tests. Experiment with freshly buried tests. And dig scenarios in the wild, even scenarios in the wild that are suspicious and even some you normally would write off as junk target or iron. Doing this, in time as you dig many times you will start seeing a pattern and you will develop your own regiment for assessing situation for actually digging.

Depending on brand and model you can get either up averaging or down averaging...plus all the other stuff that happens out there.
I use an F70...around iron this one definitely up averages and in my mineralized SE red clay soil the deeper the target the higher the numbers.

Using a Vaq here most targets past 3" up averages ...a Compadre and Mojave will too.
I have an 800, it seems weird but in my iron infested dirt I sometimes get up averaging on a few little deeper targets also, but I also have seen no up averaging near iron so I am confused.
I also change up my settings and modes all the time so it could be some combinations might be more susceptible to up averaging than others.
I will pay more attention to this on future hunts.

Last edited:
Sometimes but not always...The possibilities are endless...We practice with multidenom stacks...We take a P on top of a N, We take a $10 gold coin underneath a lead hem weight or a jack knife...We consider a Morgan dollar with 3 Indian pennies on top like in a slanted spill and toss in a V nickle...and toss a gum wrapper or a pulltab over head..

so yeah..All the crisp clear single pings are long gone, especially in Public Parks, so a fellow has got to go hunt for the masked bastard signals, multidenom spills slants and stacks.......Prove it to yourself!

Go put a buff Nickle on top of a silver dollar coin and see what your rig says? Dig,? Hell, put a $5 gold coin on top of a seated Q and tell me thats not a bottlecap! Then introduce a jack knife..and so on and so forth...

Now I'm paranoid... I'll have to dig everything. :shock: :?: :laughing:

It's been my experience that this scenario is where nuances in audio become the key.

Couldn’t agree more. And no,I can’t explain it. That’s why we spend hundreds and hundreds of hours detecting....to learn the stuff that CANNOT be taught.

Back
Top Bottom