Toasted Zinc Pennies Question

Give them out on Halloween to the 17 and 18 year old trick or treaters and see how long it takes for your house to get egged.

They need to go back to making them out of copper. They say it costs more but they last for years. It would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

They just need to end them, most people are in favor of it, most businesses too.
The very powerful zinc lobby has different ideas, however.
One company supplies all zinc blanks to the mints, Jarden, they have stated reasons to keep it but that is based on outdated public polls, unsubstantiated future effects and costs like having to make more nickels which also costs more than twice what they are worth, which most think won't happen by the way, and rounding up which they say will hurt the poor who use more cash.
Similar rounding up arguments were put forth when several states opted for sales tax tokens and we know how well that turned out.
In that case it really wasn't about saving consumers from getting screwed but in reality the government wanted to recoup millions of dollars they thought they were losing in sales tax transactions.

It's a different time now, people think differently, businesses think differently, the government thinks differently and they are probably tired of losing money on these things.
Not just on the manufacturing but the transportation costs of moving them around.
Banks and other businesses have calculated the costs in man hours counting and dealing with one cent coins and they don't like it...it no longer makes cents. :laughing:
(See what I did there.)
Some coin gurus that follow this stuff think the one cent coin will finally be gone by 2026.

Canada got rid of them in 2012, other countries before them, nobody seems to be missing them now...at all.
Not the people rich or poor, not the businesses and not the government.
It's time.

For us, however, the millions upon millions of them rotting in the dirt will be a thorn in our side for years to come.

coin star them. or exchange them for good ones in
those little red leave a penny trays next to the cash register
at the gas station:laughing:

I don't dig them but if I do they get tossed further out in the surf or I toss em in the garbage.
If they are useable they get used😁

They just need to end them, most people are in favor of it, most businesses too. ... Canada got rid of them in 2012, other countries before them, nobody seems to be missing them now...at all.
Not the people rich or poor, not the businesses and not the government.
It's time.

For us, however, the millions upon millions of them rotting in the dirt will be a thorn in our side for years to come.

Other than having a general fondness for and hobbies that involve coinage, I'd say if you're gonna kill pennies, kill at least nickels and dimes, too. So many 30-somethings on down don't even touch cash -- it may all go away at some point.

Lol, just thinking that the zinc penny is very well the pull-tab/"stay-tab"/bottle cap of the 21st century...just one more metal thing for jerks to thoughtlessly discard. :mad:

If you're not digging zinc pennies, then you missing out on IHC's. Most of the IHC's I find ring up in the low to mid 70's. I also find wheaties that ring up in the high 70's. I tend to ignore most 60's signals at parks and schoolyards, but I always dig any signal 70 and up.

Back
Top Bottom