Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 09-13-2020, 07:23 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Diggerjonny View post
Possibly, Folks around here would take your stuff/pawn it for drug money
Yeah around here, booze is the problem drug. It tears families apart and ruins lives. Itís also a very expensive habit, so...we lock our doors for sure.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:51 PM

If I had a hobby where I was forced to carry a concealed weapon for protection (or even peace of mind), I'd pick a different hobby or a different place to enjoy my hobby.

So to answer your question OP, I avoid dodgy situations or places. That's not to say there isn't a risk, but it's no greater than running an errand or otherwise living my normal life (which doesn't require me to carry a weapon or other sort of protection).

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:02 PM

I usually hunt alone in the wee hours of the morning. Try not to stand out.
If going to the hood. I go early in the morning becuse the indigenous personnel don't wake up until noon.
In the hood I take my son with me he's bigger and younger than I am. We get out at the first signs of life.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Just last week I had a poor-hygiene person approach me from behind. I was detecting in a vacant lot across the street from a park. I had headphones on and did not hear him. He was tugging at my find pouch, which had a flattened aluminum can showing. Scared the you-know-what out of me! I think that's when he noticed the Lesche I was holding and moved on pretty quickly I'm going to be detecting with a buddy in that area for the near future.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ambercorwin View post
Just last week I had a poor-hygiene person approach me from behind. I was detecting in a vacant lot across the street from a park. I had headphones on and did not hear him. He was tugging at my find pouch, which had a flattened aluminum can showing. Scared the you-know-what out of me! I think that's when he noticed the Lesche I was holding and moved on pretty quickly I'm going to be detecting with a buddy in that area for the near future.
Yikes!

Old 09-25-2020, 11:23 PM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by Hckeycraze1968 View post
How many people metal detect alone? I'm pretty observant of my surroundings and avoid unsavory situations. However, if you don't have a detecting buddy does anybody carry a concealed weapon? I realize some states don't allow this option. In those cases, what does everyone do? Everyone's opinions encouraged.
Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
Might consider taking a dog along can be a good hunting buddy ,and alert you to problems and if big enough some extra protection.
While I haven't had any reason for concern detecting in a small town, it still would be nice to have a hunting buddy along at least occasionally, but have not had anyone local to hunt with, but having detecting friends on this forum is the next best thing !

Anyhow, if you are in an area where you simply can't find anyone to hunt with, especially if you are concerned about hunting alone in some areas, there is a possible solution at this link:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showt...71#post3257971

(just joking but you have to admit it is funny )

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 09-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ambercorwin View post
A minor inconvenience...the important thing is... were you both wearing masks?

/sarc

Old 09-26-2020, 02:38 PM
Elite Member

Always keep your head on a swivel and donít be so lost in the dig that you become unaware of your surroundings. Stay Safe!