this could work....

Rammjäger

Elite Member
I have this old vacuum cleaner tube and had the idea it could work
for making a collapsible shovel.
It is a super-light chromed steel tube - simply perfect !

Attachments

• aspiradora mango 004.jpg
    aspiradora mango 004.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 742
Rust could become a big issue there. You may want to strip it down to bare metal and use a rust preventive primer/paint or truck bedliner paint. Cool idea nonetheless:yes:

Save your money and buy a detectors shovel, you won't be sorry. The reason why I say is I've been there and done that, every thing else is going to break in no time. Good thought though..
Just my 2 cents

lightweight and shovel are two words that don't belong together. That tube will bend the first time you try to dig a hole with it.

Thanks guys for your input.
I think you are right - That's why I decided to buy a sturdy
folding trench shovel. Not those ones with threads - I hate those
with threads ,because I had a couple of them and both broke at
that place :no:
This time I invested in an unbreakable 1965 Bundeswehr /german shovel.
I love this compact mechanism :wow::cool:
This is quality to endure heavy duty in hard ground.
Yes, some grams heavier than others -but as the OP said, if you want quality
you must sacrifice something :D
These old ones are way better ,in my opinion, than the "new" or modern
german army shovels :roll:

Attachments

• klappspaten 005.jpg
    klappspaten 005.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 590
  • klappspaten 004.jpg
    klappspaten 004.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 601
  • klappspaten 003.jpg
    klappspaten 003.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 601
  • klappspaten 002.jpg
    klappspaten 002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 603
  • klappspaten 001.jpg
    klappspaten 001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 598
  • klappspaten 006.jpg
    klappspaten 006.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 596
  • klappspaten 007.jpg
    klappspaten 007.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 593
  • klappspaten 009.jpg
    klappspaten 009.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 582
  • klappspaten 008.jpg
    klappspaten 008.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 597
  • klappspaten 011.jpg
    klappspaten 011.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 596
There you go, thats the ticket. Far better chorce. Nothing worst than equipment failure while hunting. The spike end will serve the purpose for breaking up hard soils. Plus it's compact. Good choice.

There you go, thats the ticket. Far better chorce. Nothing worst than equipment failure while hunting. The spike end will serve the purpose for breaking up hard soils. Plus it's compact. Good choice.

Thanks.
This is a real heavy duty shovel.The only disadvantage I see is its length.
Hopefully I won't get any back pain with it :roll:

Yeah that's true. It looks like you could slide a longer piece of thick gage PVC over the handle all the way down to the metal part. It might fit snug or a couple of well placed screws to keep it on for add insurance. HH

When I first went through Army Basic Training in the mid-sixties we had both the entrenching tools with the pick and without. While the pick came in handy at times we seldom used it and most preferred the shovel without. It was just that much more weight to carry. Several years ago while detecting an old Boy Scout came I found an early entrenching tool buried about ten inches deep but the handle had completely rotted away.

I knew a guy that used a couple of them to extend the front forks on his motorcycle. I didn't ride next to him.

I don't mean any disrespect towards your friends , but that guy isn't very bright , Is he still alive ? I've ridden bikes for 30+ years , and I've rigged a lot of stuff , but theres some places that jerry-riggin'n isn't an option.

I don't mean any disrespect towards your friends , but that guy isn't very bright , Is he still alive ? I've ridden bikes for 30+ years , and I've rigged a lot of stuff , but theres some places that jerry-riggin'n isn't an option.

Ditto, that's just insane. The guys lucky he didn't end up with a folded up broken vacuum cleaner tube stuck thru his chest.

To the OP.....buy a Sampson T and be done with it. Those trenchers are too heavy, not pointed enough, and the mech wiggles around annoyingly. It's what I started with. With a T, you put the blade where you want to dig and lean on it. You don't need a shovel that folds up to be put away. Hell, you'd spend half your time folding and unfolding it. It's a nice lookin trench tool though.

We all knew that he was an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom