What is this "bullet"?

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Okay, this "bullet" has so many problems with it, isn't funny. I will be very honest, I don't believe that it is a real bullet. I don't know if it is a degraded toy, a salesman's sample (think cut away) or ???

Here is what it is. Look at the pics below.

The headstamp reads RMP 44-40. The rim diameter is 0.395". The bullet diameter is 0.348". The complete length is 1.031". All measured with a digital caliper.

Here are my questions.

1. What is this thing?
2. What is the "rod" going from the primer area into the bullet itself.
3. What company made this thing?
4. Why does the base have a "stair step look to it"? No bullet casing I know of is like that.

The size is not right for a .44-40, bullet or rim. Any help is appreciated.

Doug

picture.php

picture.php

Almost looks like an old "go/no go" gauge. For checking chamber OAL and headspace.
It's certainly not constructed like any fire-able cartridge.

What's the "bullet" made of?

First off nice find. But I don't appreciate all the research you are making me do. :grin:
This caseless cartridge bullet
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6778
makes me think that you have something like that, or maybe it was paper that contained the powder which has disintegrated.

Is the primer in it still and if so my guess is it has not been fired?

And yes that headstamp does not make any sense to me.

Man I have looked and looked and get nowhere with it! I'm starting to think it was some sort of a test round for a test gun that never made it to full production????

I am thinking that Philbyfile is on to something. I found a cached pic of the decorative gun and gun belt that was in the ebay auction. I cannot find a bigger version, but I think that the "bullet" that I have might have come out of it. I can see a kid trying to remove one thinking it would be real and it just being a dummy without any case.

Doug

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom