1848 seated half "potty coin" updated

quicksilver82

Hey guys my dad and I went out his morning to an 1825 farm house and my dad pulled an 1848 seated half dime, but on the back of the coin it was carved out and says "Jim" on it. Haven't done too much research on it yet because we are still digging. I will post pics later, but any info on it and a price tag would be great. Thanks for looking and HH!

Last edited:
That's very interesting, I can't get my phone to download pics that I took so I'll have to get coin from my dad and post it from the computer.

Sure Enough

I researched the coin you found, very interesting information. It actually belonged to a man named "Jim."

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself on that one.....great finds!

Yeah that's a love token, awesome find! I'll admit I didn't know what a "potty coin" was until I googled it. :laughing: This is for those of you that don't have the cojones to admit it. :D

Potty Coins:

These are mostly known as "Potty Dollars" and are a majority of the time made out of Trade Dollars. 19th Century engravers altered the Seated Liberty into a Seated Liberty on a chamber pot. They do, however, turn up on half dollars, and rarely on smaller size seated material (the only of the latter that I have seen being in a Heritage auction). Each piece is unique, just like love tokens, and the value generally matters on how well the piece has been done. Crudely engraved pieces generally sell for 60 to 100 dollars, while very well detailed pieces can reach upwards of 400 dollars. Sometimes Liberty is fully nude, sometimes partially, and sometimes almost fully clothed. I've seen some that I am almost sure are modern alterations, yet they still sell for the forementioned prices.

Thanks for doing the hard research waterhead lol and you too zincs!

When I first looked it up that's all I could find was something called the potty coin. The 1848 seated had 600K minted and I'm guessing there is only one that says "Jim". It was an awesome find to say the least. Never thought I'd see one of those pop out of the ground.

Absolutely beautiful coin!!! The attention to detail then had back then is amazing! Way better than finding a regular seated half dime and far more rare and unique!

Great Recovery!!!:shock:
I collect love tokens of all shapes and sizes and currently have over 30 in my collection.
I have never found one with a metal detector ............

yet:D

Great Recovery!!!:shock:
I collect love tokens of all shapes and sizes and currently have over 30 in my collection.
I have never found one with a metal detector ............

yet:D

I'm with Matt. That's a sweet find. I love collecting them. My favorite is a morgan dollar turned into a pin/love token. I had to pay up for that one!

Condition and artistic flair determine the value.
The dimes typically go for $10 - $30 and I would say yours is probably in the middle of the pack.
Here is a Morgan I had done with my initials by a forum member Mike Lyness earlier this year:D

Attachments

• Morgan Love Token obv.jpg
    Morgan Love Token obv.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 861
  • Morgan Love Token rev.jpg
    Morgan Love Token rev.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
Pretty cool stuff, I wish I could get a time frame of when it was carved out. Either way it's a priceless find for my dad. Any other pics of the other tokens you have?

Here are most of them.
Primarily seated dimes and quarters, but some foreign ones too.
You have inspired me to upload them to a new album, thanks:D

Attachments

• Love tokens.jpg
    Love tokens.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 812
Wow, those are pretty neat and amazing art work on some of them! There doesn't seem to be a way to determine when they were carved out by the designs though right?

Glad I finally inspired someone lol

Back
Top Bottom