Cotton field coughs-up a surprise today

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
and a bucket-lister to boot :cool:
ETA: Was NOT a 1st Barber Quarter find for me, I'd ran across one I'd found but forgotten.

I keep telling myself I'm not going back :laughing: I hunted yesterday for 5-6 hours, for a '71 Memorial. That said, I'd accepted the fact a few Wheats were all these fields had to offer.

Thought I'd do something different today, lol...I had nothing to lose :lol:, and since it's common to plant fields in alternating directions certain years, I decided to expand my search area further away from where the houses sat, and in the direction things may have been drug in the farming process.

I'd already ventured a good bit away in previous hunts, but I took it a bit further today, hoping something had maybe stuck to a disc, plow, wheel, whatever.

I think I got lucky :yes:

I was probably 2 hours in to todays hunting, when I got a solid pull tab signal. Dug it, and saw what looked to be a token. "Cool", something different...then I looked at it, and saw it was an 1894 S Barber Quarter.

I've dug a Barber Half, and a few Dimes, but never a Quarter....until today, in a field I'd have bet would never have held it. I'm actually perplexed i found it, compared to previous finds, and lack of any other silver, or any Wheats prior to the '40's.

Fluke or not, I'll take it, now if I could only find a Buff :roll: Dug a '40 something Wheatie too.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Love that silver. I've hunted several fields in the past. The fertilizer used over the years play havoc on a lot of the silver. The pennies and nickles are usualy toasted. That may have been what caused the lower VID or maybe the Barber Quarter was on edge. I dug a 1942 Washington yesterday that was on edge.. it rang in at 12-43..12-44 just below a dime..
Congrats on the Barb.

OK, I inadvertently misspoke, it was not my 1st. I put it in a coin flip last night, and when I put it in the flip album this AM, I realized I'd found a 1904-O at some point, I'd just forgotten it somehow.

Sweetness!

Thanks!

Nice job!

Thanks!

I think Barbers are the best quarters !

Agree, thanks!

Way to go Gaunlet, I haven't found one of those Barbers in a long, long time.

Thanks! I hadn't either, and figured the odds of doing so were about 100-1.

A silver quarter was a pull tab signal???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I thought it was an aluminum token at 1st. I guessed there must have been something else nearby, as I was in a trashy corner of the field.

That is an absolutely awesome find!! I would be very happy over that...congratulations!!

Thanks! I'm debating on going back out this AM :lol:

Nice, were you using your Vaquero?

Thanks! DeLeon since it was already assembled, I just grabbed it.

Love that silver. I've hunted several fields in the past. The fertilizer used over the years play havoc on a lot of the silver. The pennies and nickles are usualy toasted. That may have been what caused the lower VID or maybe the Barber Quarter was on edge. I dug a 1942 Washington yesterday that was on edge.. it rang in at 12-43..12-44 just below a dime..
Congrats on the Barb.

Thanks! It sure does better than copper in the fields. This is the 1st silver I've dug in farm ground here. I have several early Memorial Pennies which are crusty, and am curious to see how many will clean-up. Large Cents and IH's are favorites of mine to find, and keep hoping to luck into one of those, and this Quarter at least puts me in the range of an IH being possible.

Very nice! I have been looking at a cotton field that just not got plowed so thinking about knocking and asking. I hope it produces as well. GL&HH.

Congrats on digging your 2nd Barber Quarter...excellent dig!

Thanks! LOL, you'd think only having one other I'd have remembered it :?:
But, I'm coming back from a few years off, so I got an excuse :D

Very nice! I have been looking at a cotton field that just not got plowed so thinking about knocking and asking. I hope it produces as well. GL&HH.

Thanks! Never hurts to ask. I'm going to come back to this one next year, hopefully it'll be in be in beans.

Nice scores! Persistence pays, glad it did for ya! HH!

Thanks! Went back today for a few hours, thought I might get lucky again. I'm hunting further out from were the houses sat along the old road (which is long gone). I marked where I stopped today, and will take-off from there sometime. There had to have been an older home there at some point, that's the only explanation for the Barber.

Have a new field they picked today, so I'll hit that next week, and they were in another they should have done Monday. There's 5-6 more houses between the 2. Hope there's a "surprise" waiting in one of them :yes:

Today I got a mid 60's Memorial, and a 40's something Wheatie, along with a couple more MS Tax Tokens (one was folded into 1/4's), along with a couple buttons, and 2 oil lamp wick adjusters (and other assorted junk I haven't went through yet).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Haven't looked for this one yet, but almost looks like the bottom says ARMY?

picture.php

Kind of a cool marble.

picture.php

Congrats on your finds. I don't know how many folks on this forum actually hunt cotton fields - but there not the easiest hunt! The stalks have a tendency to cause quite a few scrapes on your hand! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom