Newly Interested and ISO Tesoro

eTXOne

Good morning all,
I am new to the world of MD and this is the first forum ive decided to join. The main reason i joined was to see about buying a used Tesoro. Also i want to see about laws regarding my home state of TX/Houston area.

I am currently looking at a used tesoro mojave for $185 or buying a new compadre for $160. Its a conundrum since the new compadre has a warranty but the mojave is a great deal, but no warranty. Im sure i will post my issue elsewhere.

Im looking forward to buying a MD and getting started as well as sharing in this community

Welcome from CA. The answer to your question on the "Tx/Houstan" area, is: You need to be more specific. Eg.: what level/type land do you have in mind to swing your detector at ? Fed land ? State land ? County land ? or City land ? And even within each of THOSE is variations (Eg.: NPS is not the same as BLM or NFS, even though all 3 are federal). And even once you isolate down to an exact city or county park, let's say, then there's sometimes persons who might fret themselves over boiler-plate minutia like cultural heritage , or "take and remove" verbiage, alter and deface, etc...

So be more specific and name a site (or type/level site) you have in mind.

Welcome from Pennsylvania..without ever owning those two machines,I’ve watches tons of videos on them both.Thats a hard choice,both seem very good but I think if push come to shove,I’d buy the compadre before the mojave..

The compadre is a fun detector to use. With a life time warrenty to. BUT, for about $80 more, you can get the Mojave with the warrenty. They both are very good. The Mojave does have the sens control and a ground switch to help in bad ground. The coil is a little bigger and will go a little deeper. Either one is good on small jewlery and coin shooting. Good luck.. KEN :D

Welcome! I have both. Bought the compadre before the mojave came out. And just recently got a mojave. They're both good machines, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd just get the mojave. It's deeper, has the same 180 degree disc circuit and is better balanced than my 8" compadre. I can understand wanting to buy new to get the warranty as I had to send my mojave in because it had a bad coil. Tesoro fixed it for free and very quick turn around. Good luck in your choice, either one will find the goods and both are very easy to use.

Welcome from CA. The answer to your question on the "Tx/Houstan" area, is: You need to be more specific. Eg.: what level/type land do you have in mind to swing your detector at ? Fed land ? State land ? County land ? or City land ? And even within each of THOSE is variations (Eg.: NPS is not the same as BLM or NFS, even though all 3 are federal). And even once you isolate down to an exact city or county park, let's say, then there's sometimes persons who might fret themselves over boiler-plate minutia like cultural heritage , or "take and remove" verbiage, alter and deface, etc...

So be more specific and name a site (or type/level site) you have in mind.

I dont speak MD yet but maybe soon ill understand everything you just referenced to, thanks

Welcome from central MA! id go to the closest park and read the sign in the entrance, if theres nothing saying metal detecting is prohibited, id go for it. If someone asks you to leave, I usually just leave, there are plenty of other parks and ballfields around. Good luck and happy hunting!

... id go to the closest park and read the sign in the entrance, if theres nothing saying metal detecting is prohibited, id go for it. If someone asks you to leave, I usually just leave, ....

Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate here: Some skittish person is sure to say that "maybe the rule is not written on the sign, yet it's on-the-books down at city hall".

For starters, I'm with you: I'll just go "till told otherwise". If someone is still skittish, they can go to city hall (or find on website) the list of rules, muni-codes, etc.... If they don't see anything that says "no md'ing", then presto: Not prohibited. But I don't even fret myself to that degree. I will not hesitate to hunt any park, in any city that I come to. So long as not an obvious sensitive historic monument.

But, of course, we're in an oddball hobby with ... uh .... connotations. So whenever doing nice manicured turf, always pick low traffic times. YOU know you'll leave no trace, but a busy-body might differ. Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.

Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate here: Some skittish person is sure to say that "maybe the rule is not written on the sign, yet it's on-the-books down at city hall".

For starters, I'm with you: I'll just go "till told otherwise". If someone is still skittish, they can go to city hall (or find on website) the list of rules, muni-codes, etc.... If they don't see anything that says "no md'ing", then presto: Not prohibited. But I don't even fret myself to that degree. I will not hesitate to hunt any park, in any city that I come to. So long as not an obvious sensitive historic monument.

But, of course, we're in an oddball hobby with ... uh .... connotations. So whenever doing nice manicured turf, always pick low traffic times. YOU know you'll leave no trace, but a busy-body might differ. Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.[/QUOTE

thanks, that sounds like real world advice. I can honestly say ive never seen anyone where i live swinging an MD. Therefore, my guess is that there are no MD police waiting to bust the next person they see swinging a MD. Not saying im going to rely on the "ignorance is bliss" moto, but i will be careful and cautious about where and when i hunt. Hunting at night sounds kinda fun anyway.

Back
Top Bottom