Gold #20 (Updated with gold #21)

Joshc214

I met up with Steve (Sexton) today for a morning hunt. Conditions were perfect... lake atlantic, 0 current and low tide was at 8. We both put in a good 4 hours working our way up the coast hitting all the low areas.

We both found quite a few quarters and nickles, however no heavy gold items which was a bit strange. I found the silver (love) ring and ss spinner thumb ring in a trough where I found a lot of the quarters. The hoop earring was found on a sandbar as I was walking across to the next trough. I was just dragging my detector in a straight line and got a hit lol dumb luck...

After the hunt I met up with steve and we both looked at the hoop earring and figured it was 925 gold plated with the plating wearing off. Got home, checked it with a loupe, turns out its marked 585 Italy :) Got tricked by the chromium plating wearing off the gold. Its always a great feeling when you don't find out til after the hunt that you actually scored some gold! Not the heaviest at 3.1 grams, but I'll take it!

Hunt #2
Decided to go out one last time this weekend for an afternoon/night hunt. I went back to the double gold ring spot from yesterday to check if the trough was still there... nope. It all got sanded in over night so it was probably a good thing I hit it during the 3ft seas on saturday.

Walked down the beach and finally found another trough that looked like it had some potential, after a couple hours I pulled 2 dimes, a nickle, a rusted chain and the gold 2.6 gram earring marked 18k. I'm not sure what it is, but gold seems to follow me wherever I go lately lol This makes for a 4 gold weekend :)

I've posted a pic of all the finds this weekend for a final weigh in of 17.1 grams :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1489946226783.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489946226783.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 396
  • FB_IMG_1489946215404.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489946215404.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 390
  • FB_IMG_1489946220106.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489946220106.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 394
  • FB_IMG_1489969902707.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489969902707.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 343
  • FB_IMG_1489969897001.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489969897001.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 341
  • FB_IMG_1489970699022.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489970699022.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
:dingding: You're going to have a banner year dude! :wow: I saw 2 pirates today that passed me by and I spoke to one of them. No introductions but I thought it could've been you. (I was in an orange shirt).

Heck yeah, that's a decent weighted earring :thumbsup: congrats!

Thanks GroundSweeper!

:dingding: You're going to have a banner year dude! :wow: I saw 2 pirates today that passed me by and I spoke to one of them. No introductions but I thought it could've been you. (I was in an orange shirt).

Thanks Felix! Hopefully the gold keeps on coming lol It wasn't me you saw... didn't see any other hunters where we were.

Great hunt and an interesting write up Josh! You know, about dragging the coil across a sandbar top or backside of it? Funny thing...we are all told to hunt the troughs, and yes, theres heavies down in them...the offshore sandbars are constantly on the move, and basically devoid of any old drops, yet...what you have described has happened to me up here more than a few times!

Right on top or the backside of an inland moving bar! Boom! Out of nowhere and all alone, Big old gold! So theres something going on here I cant quite pattern...It makes no sense...big old gold should be finding the hardpack and sticking right there along with the lead weights a guy would figure...:?:

On fire....

Congrats!

<°)))>{

Thanks man! :)

That's quite the gold count you have going on. Congrats!

Thanks Bruin! Never thought I would find this much so early in the year.

Great hunting ! You now have more gold than I do silver coins lol I gotta get in the drink! Happy hunting!

Thanks cellrdwellr, you've got me beat on the silver coins. I have that 1 lost merc I found a while back.

Great hunt and an interesting write up Josh! You know, about dragging the coil across a sandbar top or backside of it? Funny thing...we are all told to hunt the troughs, and yes, theres heavies down in them...the offshore sandbars are constantly on the move, and basically devoid of any old drops, yet...what you have described has happened to me up here more than a few times!

Right on top or the backside of an inland moving bar! Boom! Out of nowhere and all alone, Big old gold! So theres something going on here I cant quite pattern...It makes no sense...big old gold should be finding the hardpack and sticking right there along with the lead weights a guy would figure...:?:

Thanks Mud! I'll make sure to take my time crossing those sandbars from now on... you never know. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom