90 minute hunt

MarkTwa8n

I hit one of the more popular resort beaches here on Okinawa this morning. I just turned on my machine and put my headphones on when the manager came running out to tell me that I couldn't detect on the beach. I used my best Japanese and told the old story that my wife's friend was a guest at this hotel over the holidays, and lost her wedding ring. I promised my wife that I would try to find it. I could tell that he was softening, so I said I only needed an hour to hunt and then I would leave. That seemed to do the trick, so he said, "ok...just one hour then you have to go." I stretched that out to 90 minutes. I wished I had more time, because that is a rich beach. I only hunted the dry sand and some of the wet. The targets in the wet sand were all pretty deep, so I stayed up in the dry sand, where the targets were mostly 8 inches or less. I worked as fast as I could and dug a LOT of targets. Man, I wished I had time to work the water there at a low tide.

A few good rings and 3,700 yen ($37) in clad. I just checked out the skull ring. It is a brand name, crazy hearts silver and retails for $300. The other big silver is a chrome hearts. The gold looking ring is marked .925 so I am guessing it is plated.

qa2apuzu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The silver one with roman numerals on it is a Tiffany & Co one and is also sold for a premium. I have found 2 of them.

Nice hunt. I didn't have a machine in the late 1970's when I was in Okinawa and I regret that. I did learn to dive there. AWESOME place

looks like i need to get Japan as my next duty station! Gratz on all the silver and clad heck......37$ is a good haul anytime.

I hit one of the more popular resort beaches here on Okinawa this morning. I just turned on my machine and put my headphones on when the manager came running out to tell me that I couldn't detect on the beach. I used my best Japanese and told the old story that my wife's friend was a guest at this hotel over the holidays, and lost her wedding ring. I promised my wife that I would try to find it. I could tell that he was softening, so I said I only needed an hour to hunt and then I would leave. That seemed to do the trick, so he said, "ok...just one hour then you have to go." I stretched that out to 90 minutes. I wished I had more time, because that is a rich beach. I only hunted the dry sand and some of the wet. The targets in the wet sand were all pretty deep, so I stayed up in the dry sand, where the targets were mostly 8 inches or less. I worked as fast as I could and dug a LOT of targets. Man, I wished I had time to work the water there at a low tide.

A few good rings and 3,700 yen ($37) in clad. I just checked out the skull ring. It is a brand name, crazy hearts silver and retails for $300. The other big silver is a chrome hearts. The gold looking ring is marked .925 so I am guessing it is plated.

qa2apuzu.jpg

night hunt:D

Nicely done! Next time you go back, I dare you to smile at the guy and tell him "That crazy lady lost two rings! Found the first one but the second one is a family heirloom.........." :lol: "this shouldn't take more than a couple hours, TOPS!"

Great hunt! If you found much trash you might want to take it to the Manager and show him how you are keeping his beach clean and safe for his customers. Regardless, it looks like it would be worth getting on his good side somehow. HH!

I have hunted this beach at night before, but a security guard comes along every 45 minutes to chase away fishermen, treasure hunters, or anyone else, and there was no negotiating with this toothless hardass. Also these guards do not care at all how much trash you pick up. The guards only care about covering their butts. If someone steps on some can slaw, it isn't their problem. If I drown or get raped (not likely) or something on the beach, and he didn't kick me off when he had the chance, then it might come back to him. If I really want to hunt here, I can wait for the guard to pass, hunt for 45 minutes, and hide in the bushes and wait till the guard passes again. I have to do this to hunt my favorite beach up north. It is a pain, but sometimes worth the trouble.

What does have some sway with the managers and the guards is finding lost room keys. Those are like free tickets to hunt the beach, and I seem to find them all the time. I found two yesterday and gave one to the manager. I'll take the other key back with me next time...just in case.

There are a lot of resort beaches on Okinawa to hunt. I will try here again after I go through the cycle. There is some competition among other hunters here now; four years ago, I seemed to have the whole island to myself, but I am sure there is far less competition here than what you guys deal with in the states. I was watching some of the beach cams for the Florida and Hawaii beaches, and you can see someone with a metal detector pass by every five minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom