Halves at banks

It completely depends on the bank. I just started CRHing last winter and view it as a winter hobby. A bit of what i learned from my limited experiance.
First just ask if they have any halves if you can't afford a whole box, and don't be afraid to accept the few loose ones they have in the drawer. I have found silver from the drawer and I've seen post of others that have.
Second and this may be tough for you if you're not driving yet is to hit the local bank that has been there the longest. Most people don't ever change banks unless they move so the oldest bank has the oldest customers and is more likely to get older change brought in. It's sad but if a person is on a fixed income and the price of gas or milk goes up they will roll up hoarded change.
Third is to hit banks in poorer sections of town if you can. In these areas money is money and it all gets spent the same. A person making minimum wage trying to feed two kids usually can't afford to have $50 in quarters laying around those are needed to pay bills and buy food. Also they are less likely to go to coin stores and whatnot to sell any coins they think are unusual.
Forth in these areas customer rolled is the way to go. Silver and wheat will be very streaky but when you hit you usually hit big.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Thx for your input!

Well tomorrow i'm stopping by a bank later in the day, hopefully they will have some halves in the drawer. If not, i'm gonna try and snag my second buff ever. The first time i ever hunted nickels i got one roll and it had a 1919 buff, JUST ONE ROLL!! and since then i've hunted another 60-70 total and haven't found another. Crazy eh?

16 is the limit for my parents bank.

Try opening a savings account at a credit union. I've had one bank account since I was 5 years old with my moms help. You usually can get a parent to be a joint account holder. I didn't take my mom off any of mine until I got married.

Well unfortunately she didn't have any halves in her drawer so i got $14 in nickels and got several 60s nickels which i like to hoard and one 1940.

I know my banks search the rolls. Was gonna order boxes. But why would I help a bank employee get easier access to silver? 100% guarantee they'd search any I ordered. Girl I deal with said her dad has 5 gallon buckets of silver coins. I know the rolls I get the coins are all facing the same way. And the rolls of bicentennials will have a mark as well. You got a better chance of winning the lotto than pulling any silver out here.

When I was doing this the boxes were sealed with packing tape, if the seal is broken just say you want a sealed box and they should order you a new one :)

All of KT's boxes have been sealed and not gone thorough, tho out of spite a couple of times the Loomis delivery guy dropped a box so it would bust at the bank...but the bank tellers gathered up the rolls, and immediately counted them to assure the box was complete, then taped up the box. Whenever this has happened, they are always very apologetic to His Majesty and ask if KT wants it. They are so honest, KT always accommodates them. KT tries to be nice to nice people always. His Majesty's bank might be the exception, rather than the rule, from what KT has read in this Forum, but they bill themselves as the friendly neighborhood bank, and KT expects no less or more from them.

After missing His Royal Hunt this past week, KT is anxious to get his boxes this week to hunt!:lol::lol:

All of KT's boxes have been sealed and not gone thorough, tho out of spite a couple of times the Loomis delivery guy dropped a box so it would bust at the bank...but the bank tellers gathered up the rolls, and immediately counted them to assure the box was complete, then taped up the box. Whenever this has happened, they are always very apologetic to His Majesty and ask if KT wants it. They are so honest, KT always accommodates them. KT tries to be nice to nice people always. His Majesty's bank might be the exception, rather than the rule, from what KT has read in this Forum, but they bill themselves as the friendly neighborhood bank, and KT expects no less or more from them.

After missing His Royal Hunt this past week, KT is anxious to get his boxes this week to hunt!:lol::lol:

KT, I was disappointed not to see a post by you this week! I waited and waited :( how much longer till you'll get a box? :)

Back
Top Bottom