Leash for Wireless Headphones

DoctorWhy

Recently I purchased a Minelabs Equinox 800 and was anxious to take them out into the field. Two days ago was my first chance of the season. 'Geared up' at my house, and put the wireless headphones around my neck. I was distracted by the arrival of the UPS driver and mindlessly dropped my gear and took off the headphones and placed them aside in my house prior greeting the driver and dealing with an incoming package. Immediately afterwards, I grabbed the Equinox and headed into the local woods to head for a favorite Colonial site. The half-mile woods walk to the site required a fair amount of 'bushwacking'; dodging thick brush, blowdown, and overhanging branches. Arrived at the site and reached for the headphones expected to have been around my neck. Gone! A moment of panic thinking about the loss of these expensive (~$140) headphones somewhere along my bushwacking travels. I knew that I could not precisely backtrack my route, and those black headphones would have been difficult to spot anyways. Disappointed and upset, I decided to spend an hour or two detecting at the site and then attempt to retrace my route home. Had not found the headphones UNTIL I arraved at home. There they were safely sitting on a small table inside my front door! Relief! As a result of this experience and with the realization that those headphones COULD be undetectedly 'swiped' from around my neck during bushwacking, I fabricated the 'leash' shown in the photo.

I took two 2.5' lengths of orange paracord and a spring-loaded cord lock. Tied one length of cord to each side of the headphones. The other end of both cords were slipped through a spring-loaded cord lock and stopper knots tied in the loose ends. The cord lock provides a bit of 'break-away safety' if it were to get snagged by a tree branch. The orange cord makes it easier to find the headset if set down or inadvertantly dropped.

Attachments

• EquinoxWirelessHeadphones.jpg
    EquinoxWirelessHeadphones.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 434
I don't use the ML.. I use another brand. And I left them at home once. I have some Gray Ghost waterproof headphone for my nox.. I always keep them in the truck as a backup..

I was told that I believe in overkill. I usually have a spare of everything. Not long ago after driving quite a wya to a site, my partner discovered his detector wouldn't work. Luckily I had an extra. It saved the trip. Another time I was looking for a target that a local group had planted. I hunted for a while not getting any signals at all when I discovered that my wireless headphones were dead. I returned to my car and got my wired backup phones and went over the area again, this time finding what I was looking for. I even repaired a broken contact on a detector once with a pulltab. It doesn't pay to go somewhere and find out that it was a wasted trip.

Back
Top Bottom