Solid signal completely dissapeared

Longshot

I was detecting on the beach last night after a storm, using some of my new found strategies and and techniques from you guys (thank you).

I came across a solid 13-14 (not usually anything good for me, but I always dig anything in the positive numbers). I checked it from multiple angles and still solid, not dropping into the iron with all metal on. I dig and put a scoop of sand down, and its still in there with the same number. Dig one more scoop and the signal is gone. Check the sand... signal is gone. Checked both the sand and the hole in a 360 and gone. Completely.

As for last nights outing, I found a really nice slope, dug a silver earring (I think) and while i'm digging it, a cop pulls up to me on a quad and tells me that the beach is closed, but not closed a few blocks over. Of course... a few blocks over and its the flattest beach ever. Nothing of note in 4 hours.

On another note, my elbow started to sting on every swing. Oh boy. Knew i was pushing to hard.

I've had that happen before. Sometimes if you take another scoop or two it comes back again. I guess it flips on it's edge or something.

Cliff

That sounds like lack of experience to me. But you just learned something. NEVER , EVER walk away from a signal like that. Probably fell deeper in the hole. Expand the hole wider a bit. No matter how small the target is , you have to retrieve it. Could be a small aluminum blob. Good luck...

Lol, the signal walked away from me! No, I hear ya. This isn't the first time... but it was probably the most solid one that went away. I probably said some mean words to it before I left.

Hummm appears to be in the rusty bottle cap range. We’re you in disc mode? If so switch to AM see what happens. The Nox will loose targets in the hole... normally just another scoop is all ya need. I have it a LOT in the water.

Positive, multiple direction confirmations really is an oddity. There must have been perimeter junk skewing the original positive signals. Something you moved besides a real 13-14 target, was removed, IMPO

Very odd though how you got good readings in multiple directions. I'm just shooting from the hip ;-)

I think that the KOB's explanation might be the most like likely reason for this happening in the wet sand. If it happened in the water my guess would be that it was something like a pulltab that floated away.
However, you should be aware of another possibility because it has happened to me a few times. Sometimes when the scoop of wet sand is dumped, a round target may roll away from the hole. On a steep slope a target can roll quite a distance away.

That happens to me quite regularly. I find that targets just move around a lot in the sand and sometimes go even deeper. It’s like playing whack a mole.

My son was detecting with me when he was just starting. He had the old disappearing target and could not figure out what had happened. He came to me and asked me to explain how the target disappeared. I walked over to where he was digging and took one more scoop out of the hole. Told him that I would bet the target was in my scoop. Dumped the sand and let him check. Target was there. The dampness in the sand will usually allow a target to be detected further than what detecting thru the air will.

Hummm appears to be in the rusty bottle cap range. We’re you in disc mode? If so switch to AM see what happens. The Nox will loose targets in the hole... normally just another scoop is all ya need. I have it a LOT in the water.

13-14 is always a nickel or pulltab on my nox, bottle caps are usually a jumpy signal from 13-21. Found some 14k rings in that range that rang up solid.

Take a quarter, place it in the wet sand vertically, and try your detector on it straight on and then move around 90 degrees and try it. On my CTX it goes into and weak warbling on one axis that would be easy to miss first shot. My Equinox 800 was worse with this. Always one more scoop when it vanishes.

I was detecting on the beach last night after a storm, using some of my new found strategies and and techniques from you guys (thank you).

I came across a solid 13-14 (not usually anything good for me, but I always dig anything in the positive numbers). I checked it from multiple angles and still solid, not dropping into the iron with all metal on. I dig and put a scoop of sand down, and its still in there with the same number. Dig one more scoop and the signal is gone. Check the sand... signal is gone. Checked both the sand and the hole in a 360 and gone. Completely.

As for last nights outing, I found a really nice slope, dug a silver earring (I think) and while i'm digging it, a cop pulls up to me on a quad and tells me that the beach is closed, but not closed a few blocks over. Of course... a few blocks over and its the flattest beach ever. Nothing of note in 4 hours.

On another note, my elbow started to sting on every swing. Oh boy. Knew i was pushing to hard.

For your info I pulled a 18k ring that came in as a 14 my friend checked it with his Nox.

I've had that happen also, but what it was a gold diamond ring, the more I dug it would go deeper because you losen the sand and it sinks deeper, when I finished I had a hole probley 2ft wide but I got it, it was a dinner ring with 22 diamonds, made all that digging worth while.

The Nox problem for me was that I have dug gold jewelry ( pre- dug) signals that have been from a -5 all the way to a +21. That is a huge range of #s. I'm sure due to conditions , depth , target position , etc. The bottom line that I came up with is with the Nox , if you want gold , you still gotta dig damn near everything. Of course I got more trash than gold. And it was mega - digging.
So...Longshot...get to know your machine and dig till your body says no more !

The Nox problem for me was that I have dug gold jewelry ( pre- dug) signals that have been from a -5 all the way to a +21. That is a huge range of #s. I'm sure due to conditions , depth , target position , etc. The bottom line that I came up with is with the Nox , if you want gold , you still gotta dig damn near everything. Of course I got more trash than gold. And it was mega - digging.
So...Longshot...get to know your machine and dig till your body says no more !

x2 (ugh)

I can be digging a solid hit then it goes faint. Thinking it's on it side or went deeper, keep digging and finally get it. Only to find another target in the sand ..........I just "dug".

Got a gold ring today......... I think I dug last week that was just two scoops deep, I came across it as I was reworking last weeks holes and it was right outside one of my holes..dug sand..and this is water hunting.

I can be digging a solid hit then it goes faint. Thinking it's on it side or went deeper, keep digging and finally get it. Only to find another target in the sand ..........I just "dug".

Got a gold ring today......... I think I dug last week that was just two scoops deep, I came across it as I was reworking last weeks holes and it was right outside one of my holes..dug sand..and this is water hunting.

Same thing has happened to me. Some time ago I was hunting in shallow, murky water and I lost the target. Later, on my way back to where I was parked I was going by the same area when I saw this:
picture.php

That white-ish spec in the middle of the picture was a 14K gold band on edge in a clump of mud!
picture.php

Back
Top Bottom