What keeps me out in the summer Georgia heat?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
The remote prospect that I will find a CSA belt buckle and maybe a few 3 ringers. But the belt buckle is what keeps me going. I find one of those and I will consider my long participation with this great hobby complete.

I have done a lot of research and have 3-4 very good permissions so I am working them slow and hard. Probably 6-7 acres all total.

It all starts with a plan , and it sounds like your well on your way. Good luck and I hope you find what your searching for.

Is the land you are hunting on giving up any CW relics?

so far one small flat button, one carved 3 ringer and 1/2 of a watering bit. On the watering bit, may or may not be CW. These areas researched by me and have checked out in two or more different references. Plus have good CW maps of troop movement by a very respected CW map maker overlaid on google earth to show that union or southern troops were at those locations.

So I have three good locations, and it will be just slow and careful hunting with 3 different coils on my 800. Have been waiting for several years to find these permissions. Now there are no more excuses.

I find myself asking a similiar question. Metal detecting is hard work, definitely not a lazy man's hobby. But what keeps me doing it? I just like it, the thrill of the hunt for something special, with a history and story.

here you go

hope you find one. Found this one at a old home site.

Attachments

• cival war buckle 002 (Custom).JPG
    cival war buckle 002 (Custom).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 430
  • cival war buckle 003 (Custom) (2).JPG
    cival war buckle 003 (Custom) (2).JPG
    89 KB · Views: 413
  • cival war buckle 001 (Custom).JPG
    cival war buckle 001 (Custom).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 436
Deep in the south, even below the battle line of Macon. Very little activity near here but plenty of other things to dig for!! 100 degree heat is no joke, but you learn to adapt.

Hang in there. One day you're going to come apon a battle site no one has ever detected. Hopefully sooner than later.

Permisions

The remote prospect that I will find a CSA belt buckle and maybe a few 3 ringers. But the belt buckle is what keeps me going. I find one of those and I will consider my long participation with this great hobby complete.

I have done a lot of research and have 3-4 very good permissions so I am working them slow and hard. Probably 6-7 acres all total.

How did you contact your permissions?

Bdu1962 – I bet you were total blown away. But you know after the war they took home what they had on their backs and if they were in a calvary unit, most were able to keep the horse at the end of the war. I also found in my research after the Civil War Battle of Peachtree Creek people scavenged the battle grounds for anything they could find useful. Those were very hard times in Atlanta, Georgia July 20 – 30th, 1864.

So I encourage you guys to keep looking at old home sites, especially those from 1864 onward in the south. I have seen multiple posts where detectorists have found belt buckles in non battle sites.

Vethraxx – that is true in the wet hot sunny summer months it can grow a foot a day. I grew up in Perry, GA below Macon and that area was full of Kudzu. Very invasive plant, but it served its purpose to control erosion. A little bit too good at doing so. Old abandoned cars and trucks would disappear in one summer.

How did you contact your permissions?

I do quite a bit of research using books describing civil war battles. The better researched books will sometimes have references to present day locations. using Google Earth and the county's GIS property tax map I find areas near or in the battle field that is not protected by either the Federal or State agencies.

I then look first for parks and power lines and creeks that run through the skirmish or camp areas. On those I don't seek permissions, I just hunt.

when on private property I find the owner's name in the GIS database and type, print and sign and send them a letter via the US Postal service. I have found out the post office will send a letter if you mail one. Most people think they only bring to your home bills and junk mail. But believe it or not they will deliver a letter. And that is usually a shock to the receiver of the letter to receive a real letter from a real person.

In your letter include the research you have done, and why you think their might be relics on their land. Describe your sharing agreement and mine is 50/50 on anything over $100 in value. For instance if I was to find a CSA belt buckle, and it was worth $2,000. I would give him $1,000 and keep the buckle or sell it and we split the $2,000 50/50. On small stuff like bullets, just give him some and keep some. But my goal is to get and keep a CSA belt buckle or Union belt buckle.

Some have criticized my sharing agreement, but I figure without the permission I got zero stuff and you are much more likely to get a permission if you share and are honest with the property owner. I always show them everything I find, including junk to let them know this is not easy.

Man i feel ya. We have heat indexes in the 110 range right now. I cant bring myself to getting out and detecting. So bummed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is my goal and hope - to find a buckle. Therefore I continue to brave the heat and humidity every week. Just. One. Buckle.

Back
Top Bottom