• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

It's cool when the first target is a quarter....

TrpnBils

...and that's the small denomination coin! Good day at the Amish cattle pasture. On another note, the 17" coil on the CTX is incredibly tiring to swing in foot-tall grass for more than a couple of hours. I normally don't have any issues with it, but it was like trying to swing it in oatmeal....

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_150304809.jpg
    IMG_20180915_150304809.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_20180915_164026009.jpg
    IMG_20180915_164026009.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_20180915_190954384.jpg
    IMG_20180915_190954384.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_20180915_191004733.jpg
    IMG_20180915_191004733.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 561
Congrats on the barber half!! Of the 600+ silvers I’ve dug since 2013 I’ve never found a barber half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the picture of the silver coin still lodged in the dirt clod. In-situ pix are cool. It's like being a kid and unwrapping a Christmas package :xmas:

OH oh.... entering a new moon phase,
must be the gravitational pull of the moon....:laughing: (high tide/low tide)
are we going to see more half dollars getting found :?:
Nice Save !!

Super congrats on the two silvers ! :tiphat: A Barber Half is another on my bucket list . Foot tall grass with a large detector sounds like hellatious punishment to me . If that's what it would take for me to find a Barber Half I'm afraid my arm would fall off at the shoulder before I got one .

...and that's the small denomination coin! Good day at the Amish cattle pasture. On another note, the 17" coil on the CTX is incredibly tiring to swing in foot-tall grass for more than a couple of hours. I normally don't have any issues with it, but it was like trying to swing it in oatmeal....

That is just awesome! Great recovery!

Congrats on the barber half!! Of the 600+ silvers I’ve dug since 2013 I’ve never found a barber half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a heck of a lot of silver! These were my 101st and 102nd silvers since 2014. How many halves have you pulled out of those 600+? This was only my 2nd silver (other was a walker), and three clad Kennedys the same year as the walker.

I love the picture of the silver coin still lodged in the dirt clod. In-situ pix are cool. It's like being a kid and unwrapping a Christmas package :xmas:

Thanks - I like the in-situ pics also. That was the quarter there. I have a video of me digging the half and the one part all you could see was the big rim sticking out! I had made the video for a friend of mine I used to hunt with before I moved back to PA - he's only been out once all year because of work, so I send him videos like that occasionally when I get a real nice signal just to keep him motivated!

Super congrats on the two silvers ! :tiphat: A Barber Half is another on my bucket list . Foot tall grass with a large detector sounds like hellatious punishment to me . If that's what it would take for me to find a Barber Half I'm afraid my arm would fall off at the shoulder before I got one .

I could have done without the grass for sure, but I think if I get back in there after they rotate the cows back into that pasture for a couple of weeks it should be better. Maybe I'll hit it again this winter.

.... Thanks - I like the in-situ pics also.....

One time, a buddy of mine saw the rim of a $5 gold piece, on the side of a hole he was digging. He had the "nerves of steel" to stop digging. And the ability to avoid the impulse to grab it. He hollered for me to come over. Yelling "gold coin!" We sat there for several minutes, just admiring the reeded edge of the gold coin poking in from the side of the hole. Trying to evaluate if it was a $2.50, or a $5, or a $10, etc.... Making careful note of the depth, etc....

That was before the invention of digital photos or cell-phone videos cams. Or else we would have caught that on live dig too :)

OH oh.... entering a new moon phase,
must be the gravitational pull of the moon....:laughing: (high tide/low tide)
are we going to see more half dollars getting found :?:
Nice Save !!

lol... are a lot of people finding halves lately or something? I haven't been around the forums much in the past couple of weeks. A month or so ago when I found my 2c piece I was one of I think 5 or 6 either on forums or on Facebook groups that found one within about a one week period. Maybe there's something in the soil this summer, but I'm totally cool with being part of the wave if it is!

Congrats on some very nice swinging. Barber Halves are not common digs and Silver GW's are always special. I have recovered over 250 Silver coins this year with the CTX using the big coil and a few more with the stock coil. The machine is just amazing. Still I don't think I'd enjoy swinging it in the tall grass you described. Hope your return trips are in better conditions but just as successful. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom