Area to detect in Mammoth, CA

Tobykanobe

HAve a trip planned to Mammoth in November. I've heard there are some laws against detecting on National Forest land. Anyone have a recommendation for this area?

If it's a National park it's off limits.Be careful!

National Parks and National Forests (NFS) are two separate entities.

HAve a trip planned to Mammoth in November. I've heard there are some laws against detecting on National Forest land. Anyone have a recommendation for this area?

This is a common misconception that NFS is off-limits. Actually, it's quite the opposite. It actually has an express allowance . Silence-on-the-subject would mean not-disallowed, but , heck, then put an express allowance on-top of that, then why do people continue to think it's not allowed ? :?: Perhaps because they see the word "National in there" , eh ? :laughing:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261774.pdf

So as you can see: Express allowance. HOWEVER, naturally, ARPA applies. So of course use your noggin and don't be snooping around obvious sensitive historic monuments during an archie convention :roll: So you're just looking for modern coins, nuggets, the ring your wife lost last week, etc..... Not bothering coins over 50 yrs. old (I never find coins older than 50 yrs, do you ? :roll: )

i went to the local ranger station in Cleveland national forest CA with a copy of the same pdf file as tom in ca has provided . the ranger I talked to said the only place off limits is historical sites . so after hunting a few locations for about 5 hours all I found was a handful of bullets' , shell casings and cans

(I never find coins older than 50 yrs, do you ? :roll: )

No :( And I try. The line here in Texas is a hundred years, and I can't even get close to that.

Of course I wouldn't ever try to find anything other than recent issue clad coins or a recently lost ring if I were in a national forest. Of course.

i went to the local ranger station in Cleveland national forest CA with a copy of the same pdf file as tom in ca has provided . the ranger I talked to said the only place off limits is historical sites ....

Some observations :

A ) You were "playing with fire" to put this in front of him for comment. It was/is then totally up to his whims of mood and interpretation. If you *already* had something that said "not disallowed", then why did it need further commentary ? But you got lucky that he said/decided what he did. And as you can see, it was exactly as I'd said : Not disallowed, but just don't snoop around obvious historic monuments. And this furthers what I've been saying that : It's a common misconception that all federal is a no-no.

B ) As for "historical sites", I'll bet that if you'd pushed it a step further (Ie.: played with fire even more) and said : "Ok, how about if I'm not in a "historical site", yet I found a 51 yr. old coin at the camp/picnic site ? He might be inclined to say "you can't keep it". Doh.

C ) So without his further commentary, I do not consider seated and barber coins to be "historical", do you ? Now Roman coins from 200AD, .... sure. But not those pesky seateds and barbers. And I mean .... seriously now.... is anyone riffling through our aprons, armed with calculators, to do the math on the ages of our coins ? Of course not. So as long as you're not on an obvious historical sensitive site (and are in the middle of nowhere), then presto, not disallowed.

Back
Top Bottom