Equinox Fresh Water Settings?

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
Took the Nox out water hunting yesterday along with the Excal. I tried beach 2 which seemed pretty chatty. Switched over to Park which seemed a little better but just wondering what everyone else who's already taken theirs in the water has found to be the best settings for fresh water. Tomorrow I think I may try Field 2, iron bias 4, recovery 2? I still want to get the deep ones but hear a lot less chatter and teeny tiny junk its picking up. Of course if I'm not hearing the teeny tiny junk then it'll probably pass over the gold chains as well. I did manage to pull a couple silver and gold with it but nothing the Excal wouldn't have found. So what's everyone's opinions on fresh water settings?

Attachments

• 10k.jpg
    10k.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,375
I haven't tried mine in freshwater but in salt I'm using Beach 2 with the auto ground balance. I usually have to lower the sensitivity a point of two from dirt and it is pretty quiet.

Cliff

Took the Nox out water hunting yesterday along with the Excal. I tried beach 2 which seemed pretty chatty. Switched over to Park which seemed a little better but just wondering what everyone else who's already taken theirs in the water has found to be the best settings for fresh water. Tomorrow I think I may try Field 2, iron bias 4, recovery 2? I still want to get the deep ones but hear a lot less chatter and teeny tiny junk its picking up. Of course if I'm not hearing the teeny tiny junk then it'll probably pass over the gold chains as well. I did manage to pull a couple silver and gold with it but nothing the Excal wouldn't have found. So what's everyone's opinions on fresh water settings?

I swing the Nox 600. I am planning on going freshwater hunting on July 4th. I have never used my machine for water hunting before . Unless you count water hunting as a downpour of rain.:stormy: I was wondering if you have figured out some freshwater settings that would help.
Thanks for your input.

Fresh water is a whole different ball game. Not much desolves out there. Also the biggy...... you dont have to use the beach programs which has a salt setting. Look carefully at the weighted algorithms...... then determine WHAT you want to waste time digging. If you are after gold..... but dont want to wast time on tiny targets out there.... do what Clive did and disc 1-6 as well as iron. Gold modes are in most case the deepest.... then Field 2. For gold you have to resist digging high tones...... i know we all get sucked in on that sweet high tone. Think .. how deep do i need to dig..... what am i looking for on this trip... what do i need to do .... settings wise to accomplish this. This in most cases is on YOU. Over digging wastes time unless you are just looking for anything..... then just how deep do you really need to go. You have a better shot at a chain in fresh water for sure..... but how many you seen. Truth is, most people dont want to dig tiny targets.... so you might as well set it up for RINGS.

Out here in OK. Took mine for a spin in a lake using Clive’s gold program on 7/3. Found a chunky silver ring. 9.8. Posted it. Still dug a few small items but less of them. Gonna take the TDI BH out tommorow. Same spot. Just do better with it at this time. Seems the equi is a coin master and the tdi is a ring beast. Still learning the equi.

I usually hunt inF2. it's stable for me and very responsive on small items like post earrings and such and I usually can run the sens up to 25 or very close.. Best of luck and HH

I usually hunt inF2. it's stable for me and very responsive on small items like post earrings and such and I usually can run the sens up to 25 or very close.. Best of luck and HH

When I hunt in freshwater with Nox in 90% of cases, I get 1-2 numbers of signals all the time. In any program except beach 1.2. Only at very low sensitivitity do these false signals disappear. The vast majority of gold chains and earrings fall into this range. I’ve tried many different lakes, similar to all of them. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Limited time available, very bad that I can’t detect small gold objects and rings at the same time.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ANE-LX1 eszközömről

I used the Nox 800 quite a bit this summer in fresh water. My favorite mode is Gold 2 but it is VERY chatty in that mode and takes more concentration to pick out the good targets. However, that is the deepest mode and most sensitive to small gold. In that mode small bits of aluminum and foil will also test your patience. I also use the 6" coil for added sensitivity and speedier pinpointing.

Maybe I was just luckier this year but using the Nox in freshwater has yielded 3 gold neck chains and 1 gold chain bracelet.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I think that my Excal might have found 1 of those chains but not the other 3.
When the Gold 2 "chattiness" gets to be too much I will sometimes hunt in the Park 2 mode. It's not as deep as the Gold modes but it is a lot smoother.
GL&HH!
p.s. Sorry, just saw the original date of this thread. Still good information though!

I use F2 but that’s mostly because that’s what I use in the dirt too, looks like you’re doing well, congrats on the gold and silver!

I used the Nox 800 quite a bit this summer in fresh water. My favorite mode is Gold 2 but it is VERY chatty...........

Maybe I was just luckier this year but using the Nox in freshwater has yielded 3 gold neck chains and 1 gold chain bracelet.

p.s. Sorry, just saw the original date of this thread. Still good information though!

Very nice results Compass! :wincup:
You gave me back my belief that I will still find a gold chain with a Nox.

How did you use gold2 mode, did you greatly reduce the sensitivity?

So I've used it to notch the lower 1-6 range. With that, I picked up a very nice signet ring from deep down next to an iron bottlecap.

Keep the topic alive, many people use this machine in fresh water, but I think it is more complicated than in salt water.

Very nice results Compass! :wincup:
You gave me back my belief that I will still find a gold chain with a Nox.

How did you use gold2 mode, did you greatly reduce the sensitivity?

So I've used it to notch the lower 1-6 range. With that, I picked up a very nice signet ring from deep down next to an iron bottlecap.

Keep the topic alive, many people use this machine in fresh water, but I think it is more complicated than in salt water.
Thanks timmysys, The main reason I got the Nox was because of its ability to find gold chains but it took me about 2 years to find one with it.
If you do some bench testing you'll get an idea on what modes work best for the gold chains. I have also experimented with hunting in single frequency (40 khz) for the lower conductors. Typically, I run my sensitivity 20-23, swing speed at 4 and tracking ground balance. The gold chains I have found have had TID's in the low single digits (1-2).
With these settings I do find a lot of trash but I'm used to that from using pulse detectors at the beach.

Thanks timmysys, The main reason I got the Nox was because of its ability to find gold chains but it took me about 2 years to find one with it.
If you do some bench testing you'll get an idea on what modes work best for the gold chains. I have also experimented with hunting in single frequency (40 khz) for the lower conductors. Typically, I run my sensitivity 20-23, swing speed at 4 and tracking ground balance. The gold chains I have found have had TID's in the low single digits (1-2).
With these settings I do find a lot of trash but I'm used to that from using pulse detectors at the beach.

I have found only one gold chain with Nox so far. Snorkeling in the sea, the pendant gave the signal, the chain was very old and 9 carats. When I dug it out of the sand it fell to pieces, but I also found the scattered pieces. I think because of its 9 carat high copper content.
Going back to freshwater, I still have to practice with the Gold 2 program. The beaches here are full of small grains of iron and lots of volcanic sand. Because of this, there are a lot of 1-2 signals. What is very tiring is to separate the false 1 signal from the good 1 signal. Lots of other junk doesn't help either. What made me very exhausted was digging out tiny little lead balls. With nox, the very tiny signs also sound great.

Attachments

• Nox_9K_chain.JPG
    Nox_9K_chain.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 921
do what Clive did and disc 1-6 as well as iron.

This I don't agree with as I have gotten 2 nice gold bracelets this year that came in as a 1-3 on the nox. 1 weighs 14.3 grams of 14k so I would have hated missing that one.

This I don't agree with as I have gotten 2 nice gold bracelets this year that came in as a 1-3 on the nox. 1 weighs 14.3 grams of 14k so I would have hated missing that one.
This is my biggest problem with the equinox that I can’t hunt in the water to catch the gold chains and rings at the same time. The Xp Deus is noisy in the water but works in full spectrum. I have no luck, rare occasions and places that Nox works in P1.2 F1.2 mode. I'm talking about water.

This is my biggest problem with the equinox that I can’t hunt in the water to catch the gold chains and rings at the same time. The Xp Deus is noisy in the water but works in full spectrum. I have no luck, rare occasions and places that Nox works in P1.2 F1.2 mode. I'm talking about water.

I am talking about water also. I found a bunch of water gold this year.

"This is my biggest problem with the equinox that I can’t hunt in the water to catch the gold chains and rings at the same time."
??? I focus on the gold chains but still will find gold rings in the water if I get my coil over them. I dig all the positive TID's and even a few negative ones.

I don't hunt that way either but I understand the logic. There are more gold rings lost than gold chains or bracelets. Chains and bracelets can also be more difficult to hear the thinner they are and you eliminate a lot of trash by skipping the 1-6 TID's.
However, by notching out 1-6, not only do you reduce your chances of finding gold chains and bracelets but will also miss out on other small gold jewelry like thin rings, small pendants and earrings.

I don't hunt that way either but I understand the logic. There are more gold rings lost than gold chains or bracelets. Chains and bracelets can also be more difficult to hear the thinner they are and you eliminate a lot of trash by skipping the 1-6 TID's.

However, by notching out 1-6, not only do you reduce your chances of finding gold chains and bracelets but will also miss out on other small gold jewelry like thin rings, small pendants and earrings.
Rings are like an extinct animal species. There will be fewer and fewer of them because all beach hunters can find them quite easily. Except for deep or masked pieces. This is my experience in freshwater lakes. In the past, for example, the ratio was 20 rings / a pair of chains and earrings. In recent years, I have found a lot of earrings and sometimes a piece of gold chain or bracelet and very rarely find a ring. I don't wanna miss the chance. Example 2. A friend of mine used a CTX and Deus HF coil this year, for the same amount of time. With CTX, he didn’t find a single ring or gold. with DEUS quite a few earrings and a couple of big beautiful chains. Luckily or not I don't know that. I trust Nox, I’ve been surprised a few times already.

"Rings are like an extinct animal species. There will be fewer and fewer of them because all beach hunters can find them quite easily."

There is definitely more competition out there but I have found around 50 gold rings this year, so far, plus 7 gold chains/bracelets. This is, probably, my best year of detecting ever despite staying home for 2 months due to the pandemic.

About half of my finds have been freshwater and the other half from the beach.
I am recently retired so that has a lot to do with it but luck, equipment, timing, experience and research are all factors as well.

People don't wear as much gold as they used to but a lot of them still do and they are still losing it. Plus there is gold out there that has been waiting for years to be found.

As far as beach hunters finding rings easily I'd say that most of my jewelry hasn't come easily. In fact, much of it involved hours of strenuous work not only in the hunting but even getting to some of the sites.

Back
Top Bottom