first time buying $500 of half dollars - need opinons (UPDATED)

RingNut

Forum Supporter
So the results of my first CRH bag purchase is that the bag was a big SKUNK. Not only a skunk but $3 short of the $500 I paid for my pleasure!!

So I finally ordered and now received my first $500 worth of half dollars from my bank today. They came in the bag pictured below. I was expecting a sealed box or roled coins. So here is my question. Is a sealed bag like pictured a normal way to ge a $500 order of halves? It's labled from Brinks. I'm hoping they don't send the money through a coin star type machine which drops out the silver? Please provide me your opinons from your experiences. Thanks.

Do not see a picture buy my bank always comes in rolls with Brinks on it. I have gotten silver that way but have given up as I may get 1, 40% for every 2,000 ($1,000) halves.

Good luck!

I remember how easy it used to be to get silver halves ever bank had them and the rolls I bought would at least have half silver :/

I remember how easy it used to be to get silver halves ever bank had them and the rolls I bought would at least have half silver :/

Those days are long gone. :( its nothing to only find 1 or 2 in $5000 worth today.

G2M

I have tried my luck with this!! I live in a small town and figured i would have a better chance. I get a few here and there off of about 2-300 in halfs a wk. Kindof gave up lately, was havin better luck at relic hunting. Good luck with the bag. In my opinion, its somebody else's tossed coins from hunting. You may still want to go thru them tho!! Never can tell!!

Those bags can be about as good as it gets but that doesn't mean a lot. Brinks/Fed don't cull silver, but I bet those coins have seen the eyes of several other searchers before you. I just finished a couple skunk boxes. Box before that a skunk too. I am pretty much done ordering halves and closed my dump account. The best luck I have these days is making the rounds and asking for loose halves and hand rolls. Usually best luck is from the smaller and older banks. Most of the new banks popping up everywhere not so much luck. But I did get 10 40%'ers from a big BOA the last time I asked. I could hear them as they hit my hand but I just kept eye contact with the teller until I was outside. :grin:

I get string and sons boxes and they always come sealed in a box. I probably wouldn't accept them if they came any other way.
Lots of people do halves. I rarely go through a roll without seeing a marker line on at least half of them (Some people mark the coins they search so they know if they get their coins back). This tells me that a lot of people have already searched the halves that are out there. Since march, I haven't seen a single silver half in a roll.

Don't despair though, Christmas is coming and people that have no idea of the value of silver (or are just unaware that silver coins exist) are pulling out their coins they have had stored for years, and dumping them to buy presents/pay bills/whatever. I find Christmas time yields the best results. From January to March 2011, I found (1) '64, (4) 40%, and a Franklin (1960). These aren't great numbers, but It not bad considering I usually see no silver throughout the year.
Good luck.

3 years ago I searched 2 boxes a week and a $500 bag about once a month, so I searched about $60k that year. I found 750+ silver halves!!!!

2 years ago, same amount searched I got about 250 silver

last year....same searched only got a lil over 100 silver

this yr after $26k searched I only had 30 silver halves so I quit and went to dimes. I just went to 2 boxes or $500 a week and I have gotten only 35 silver dimes

sad, sad, sad, but in my opinion what happened was, loose lips sink ships! What I mean is several people put stories in magazines telling how to do this, people made videos on youtube on how easy it was to find silver this way etc.....the more people got educated the harder it became to get silver. People just don't know what it means to KEEP quiet.

So the results of my first CRH bag purchase is that the bag was a big SKUNK. Not only a skunk but $3 short of the $500 I paid for my pleasure!!

So I finally ordered and now received my first $500 worth of half dollars from my bank today. They came in the bag pictured below. I was expecting a sealed box or roled coins. So here is my question. Is a sealed bag like pictured a normal way to ge a $500 order of halves? It's labled from Brinks. I'm hoping they don't send the money through a coin star type machine which drops out the silver? Please provide me your opinons from your experiences. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the skunk, I will gladly take it all off your hands, :D

The only time that I've done the rolls was in small amounts at the bank, and I did get good results with that, I mostly got rolls that where turned in from area businesses. So maybe when done in large amounts those have been picked through.

I'd assume he was looking for silver ones just like everyone else.

It can happen where bags come up short. But sealed boxes shouldn't ever. I just turned in a nickel box that may have been one short. But I also may have dropped one. Hoping that was the case because I count each roll out as I search it so then I can just throw any non keepers into my bag to take to the bank. Then I don't have to count out a whole bag full later.

sad, sad, sad, but in my opinion what happened was, loose lips sink ships! What I mean is several people put stories in magazines telling how to do this, people made videos on youtube on how easy it was to find silver this way etc.....the more people got educated the harder it became to get silver. People just don't know what it means to KEEP quiet.

We have a winner! I think you hit the nail on the head.

...sad, sad, sad, but in my opinion what happened was, loose lips sink ships! What I mean is several people put stories in magazines telling how to do this, people made videos on youtube on how easy it was to find silver this way etc.....the more people got educated the harder it became to get silver. People just don't know what it means to KEEP quiet.

:lol: exactly right. that's like telling other fishermen where your best fishing spot is...and the 1849 gold rush would never have happened if someone had buttoned his lips.:?:

rolls

i have worked in the restaurant industry for 30 years as a manger and owner and i can tell you i search every roll we get in our chande orders.
the best find i had was in 1988 when i found around 20 rolls of pennies that had the dates written on the side of the roll.
for example they were all in 10 year increments, ie 1910-1920 all the way to 1960 with the rolls duplicating themselves.
funny thing is i have not busted them open in all these years, guess i'm waiting for that rainy day.
i can tell you that over the years i now have 4 canvas bank bags full of old coins.
if you dont have access to rolls like me i would suggest putting about $150 aside and having a set coin order that you pick up weekly from your bank.
ex. $80 in quarters, 40 in dimes, 20 in nickles and $10 in dimes.
do this religuosly and i guarantee you will make out a 100 times more then detecting.
GL2U!

Back
Top Bottom