Introduction and Request for help buying first MD

vansark

Hello to everyone! It's good to be here. My husband and I have never tried this sport before. We live in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California and would like to hunt our creek and also land, as our cabin is alongside a road that has been a motherlode gold rush travel route all along. I would like to look for gold, jewelry, coins and relics. We had some real high water this winter, so feel sure the creek would yield gold. I would be willing to spend approximately $1,000. In reading the reviews, it seems I would need a VLF, and the Fisher CZ20 seems to have the best ratings. Also, I'm not sure what accessories I need...shovel etc. The ground is rocky and clay-like material. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome. The CZ20 is no longer made by Fisher and would not be the best for where you want to hunt. I would like to suggest the White's DFX , Fisher Coinstrike or Garrett 2500. All of these detectors are top of the line and do a great job. The Minelab Explorer II is a bit better in many cases and your conditions would allow it to do well for you out there. The price on that however is outside your range. You really don't need to go that high but if you want the best out there then you have to take a look at them.If you need any more help let me know.

Welcome to the forum vansark. Good to have you with us here. You are in a real good area for finding the gold for sure. Tony is the resourse to go to for a good machine. He won't steer ya wrong.

Welcome to the forum vansark, lots of good people here with good advice. You might also want to check out the Minelab Sovereign GT as an all around tector for coins, jewelry and Gold nuggets. Let us know what you decide, one thing, there is no such thing as the perfect tector, so don't be surprised if you end up with more than one over time! LOL H.H.:-)

If you'll be looking for nuggets along with everything else,I would suggest either the Tesoro Lobo Super Trac or the Whites MXT.Both will do great.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thank you all for the responses! Regarding the recommendations, are they waterproof for use in the creek? I guess I need to contact Tony. :grin:

Almost all detectors are waterproof at the coil and lower shaft. The control box is not, and cannot get dunked or you will fry the circuits. When we use the land detectors at the beach or get caught in rain, we wrap the box in a plastic bag and use duct tape as a form of limited protection. For what you are doing, you do not need a fully submersible unit.

The Lobo Super Trac by Tesoro is a excellent nugget machine. I have one and I couldn't be happier with it. It is one of the top nugget and relic machines on the market. And it has a black sand setting which is ideal for nugget hunting. I also use the 8 inch concentric coil for coinshooting.
Whites and Fisher also make excellent detectors, I just tend to be a little partial to Tesoro.

Gold luck, I hope ya find the mother load!

MoDigger

Back
Top Bottom