Coin Roll Hunting - Any Success?

LostNowFound

Have you ever tried coin roll hunting. If yes, what kind of success if any did you have?

So far I have not found any silver in $200 worth of quaters and in $100 of dimes. Will keep trying, I have nothing to lose, because my bank has a free coin counting machine.

Since it cost me about $5.50 in gasoline to drive to my bank and back, I need to find something every time I CRH......ain't happened, ain't likely to happen. Bank tellers around here are young, pretty, and SMART!!!!

Dusty

Yeah, it's not worth your effort. You guys should definitely give up. =D

Have you ever tried coin roll hunting. If yes, what kind of success if any did you have?

So far I have not found any silver in $200 worth of quaters and in $100 of dimes. Will keep trying, I have nothing to lose, because my bank has a free coin counting machine.

Thats a lot of work/gas for a dime that has $3 of silver in it.

My buddy had a huge jar of dimes that he has been collecting from the late 70'ss.... i believe he counted over 5000 dimes. When he heard about silver going crazy high he thought... i must have a ton in there! There's 1000's from the 70's and 80's, people weren't hoarding back then right?!?!?

Wrong. Out of 5000 he found (4) silver US dimes and (7) canadian dimes. And it took him DAYS. People have been hoarding this stuff for a long time.

More likely to find it in circulating change. My mother-in-law works as a cashier and has found more this winter than I have getting the rolls from the bank. I think the banks somehow go through them also, with their fancy sorting machines...

If I'm at a bank, I'll ask for a few rolls of halves, likewise, I always ask cashers and store clerks if they have any 'old coins or half dollar coins' in their registers.

So far I've found enough silver halves to keep asking for two, maybe four rolls, but I'm not going to order any large number of rolls to hunt, my pockets aren't that deep and, IMO, it takes the fun out of the random find.

Find one or two silvers in two rolls is fun, hunting twenty-five rolls is an occupation!

I go to the bank every day for work.
Most of the cashiers have one of those trays that hold coins handy for giving change.
I always look at the lines of clad to see if I see a silver edge.
The other day, I saw one in the quarter slot.

I mentioned this to the teller and asked to see it and when she pulled it out...modern Canadian!

The first time I tried CRH I got a few rolls of pennies and a few rolls of dimes...nothing
Then I tried quarters and got 5 rolls..nothing.
Traded those in and got three more rolls and found a 64 D.
That got me going!
I started getting about five rolls of quarters almost every day after that but soon realized that 64 was a fluke because I found nothing else since.
I have looked through several dime rolls and found a 1951, but that has been awhile ago and nothing else since that one, either.
I don't have the patience to do this like some of you guys and spend hundreds or thousands to do this right, so now I just get some penny rolls from time to time and look for wheaties.
I do a little better at that...about one every 5-10 rolls.
Not the same thrill, but almost.

I cash the pennies in at a coinstar machine because I don't have the patience to roll them up most of the time.
I have found a couple of wheaties, and once, a silver dime in a coinstar return slot.

Maybe I will just hang out next to one of these machines and wait, my odds seem to be about the same. :lol:

Forget quarters,they are circulated so much finding silver is rare, dimes are decent, average is one silver dime per $250 dollar box, I do half dollars, 2 boxes a week. Right now a silver half is worth over $16 in silver melt price.

Maybe this is local policy, but none of the banks in this town I've been to have cash drawers that you can see into, and I'm 6'2" and usually wear cowboy boots (except when MDing). A lot of the gas stations are the same way.

Dusty

I have gotten about 25 rolls of halves from my credit union and found no silver. The only rolls they have are rolls deposited by other members and you don't know if those members are looking for silver or just buness owners, etc.

JC

Been at it since 1965 when my dad and I collected.

Recently (the last 3 weeks) the finds have been poor. I've hunted 6K in halves in bags, approx 2k in rolled halves, and approx $1200 in dimes. The finds were 3 silver dimes and 1 40% Kennedy.

G.

Yes. I have... I work retail, and I look through all the change. Took apart bank rolls of dimes and found 2 silvers and one ever in the register. I was also given 2 rolls of uncirculated 1956d wheats, which I quickly changed out w/ my own cash. Keep in mind, i've been working retail for 6 years and only 4 silvers total. 2 from bank rolls. You need to get the paper rolls otherwise everyOne can see a silver. You prolly won't find quarters, but we did get a standing liberty once from someone over sees that had brought it and didn't know the difference.

Actually, YES i have had some great success!! The key is to stop by a bank on your way to do something else. This way you are not spending a lot on gas.

Are you going to hit the jackpot every time?? Of course not!! Do you come back every time from MDing with a jewelry box?? No, your coil has to pass over it. With CRHing you just have to have that lucky roll (or 5 of them).

I CRH when it is just too rainy to go MDing. Gotta get my treasure hunting fix somehow!!!

More likely to find it in circulating change. My mother-in-law works as a cashier and has found more this winter than I have getting the rolls from the bank. I think the banks somehow go through them also, with their fancy sorting machines...

That may be true about banks sorting out the silver because it isn't supposed to be in circulation but dimes are so small I think they're under the radar. The catch is that not all rolls come from the same place and you never know what your going to get. It could also depend on the bank. Because I got the two wheat rolls uncirculated from the mint, I'm willing to bet the same thing could happen with silver... How awesome would that be!!??

That may be true about banks sorting out the silver because it isn't supposed to be in circulation but dimes are so small I think they're under the radar. The catch is that not all rolls come from the same place and you never know what your going to get. It could also depend on the bank. Because I got the two wheat rolls uncirculated from the mint, I'm willing to bet the same thing could happen with silver... How awesome would that be!!??

It happened to me Tuesday!!! I got 4.5 rolls of silver dimes including 26 mercs!!!

You must live in a small, small town. Coin roll hunting is a waste of time and gas.

Actually I live in VERY populated area. As I have said before, if you are not making a special trip to a bank it doesn't cost anything and it gives me something to do when it is pouring down rain!

I also CRH when the weather is bad. I just started this past week due to all the rain around here. Today is the first nice day we've had in awhile, so I will be hunting later this afternoon. However, while crhing this week I found a 1936 buffalo nickel the very first time I tried doing this crhing thing (beginners luck). Anyway, I've have found so many wheats, and a 38', 39', and many 40's nickels. They might not be collectable right now, but I sure hold on to them. Its been fun and doesn't really cost anything since I just return the coins back into my account.

You must live in a small, small town. Coin roll hunting is a waste of time and gas.

It depends how one values their time. I get a lot of enjoyment out of finding silver based halves.

Besides, if I am just chilling and watching netflix in the evening, CRHing can be a very relaxing task.

I can say the same about MD'ing.... I don't do it for a living. I do it as an enjoyable hobby.

:yes:

Cheers!

<D>

I agree, not to mention I do this at my boring job... Lol. The district Manager came in to audit the store and counted the safe to verify store funds and said "wow you have a whole bunch of penny rolls... Never gonna run out of those." but I also look for error coins and key dates- die rotation errors, die cracks.. Also brand new uncirculated coins are sometimes keepers that I change out with my own $.

Never done halves, I think that's next since some of you seem to be having luck with those. I just feel strange at the bank asking for a roll of halves... Like what would I need them for? Lol

HH!

Back
Top Bottom