Shotgun rolls...**Updated Rec'd Roll**

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
Has anyone ever bought a shotgun roll off ebay? This roll of coins that I bought for $9.99 has the back of a Merc on one side and a 1903 IH on the other. Inside the roll are wheats and maybe other coins. Anyone else ever have any luck with these or did I just waste ten bucks for my curiosity....

So I got the roll in the mail today and here is what I got...

1941 Merc
1903 IH
1906 IH
1943 Steel Wheat
1917, 19 Wheats
1920, 27 Wheats
1930-39 (8)
1940-58 (34)

All in all i guess for $12.98 including shipping it wasnt all that bad. I like the Merc since I havent fownd one MD'ing yet. The IH's arent in good shape and I have a Steely in much better shape too. I won't buy another one but I am not unhappy with my purchase. Sometimes you just have to satisfy your curiosity by yourself regardless of what others say...Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 518
Never buy them anywhere. Unsearched rolls are a big scam. Who is going to sell an unsearched roll of coins? Think about it.

They take new old stock of coin rolls, put a Indian head or a merc on the end (most coin collectors don't do that), crimped the ends, and take steel wool and make it look old.

Count on the Merc and the Indian head to be the only good coins in the roll. Probably all '40s and '50s wheaties in between.
I can't blame you for trying once, though!

I figured it was 10 bucks and at least worth five with those two coins. I guess I just looked at all the people and their feedback on them being so positive...

There are such things as unsearched bags and rolls. The trouble is finding them.

I've bought rolls like that twice. The first time was a rip off, one 1939 penny and two 1940ish S mints. The other guy I bought from had been a seller to me for several months and I was satisfied with the assortment in his rolls. Lots of "teens and twenties" in the roll and the coins were VG or better. Depends on who you deal with. Some people don't want to admit they got a raw deal and will give a bad seller good feedback.

Dusty

Most of the time it is a scam. Occasionally you might buy from an honest person. But in the end...you will get scammed more often then not. I understand the urge to buy those rolls...I've contemplated it as well. But any true collector would open the rolls and look for the good stuff.

People often get what they ask for...

I bought a lot of 5000 wheats one time, went through them picked out some good ones for my collection. I then put them back on ebay saying ..."these are searched, there are still lots of good coins here for starting a collection but these are searched."

I got no bids.

a week later I put "unsearched coins from estate sale ' and they sold.

The only thing I buy now or sell now is silver. I hated being dishonest...

I am finding this out rather quickly...My curiosity wont get the better of me anymore. I will post what was in it when I get it in the mail...

I bought a lot of 5000 wheats one time, went through them picked out some good ones for my collection. I then put them back on ebay saying ..."these are searched, there are still lots of good coins here for starting a collection but these are searched."

I got no bids.

a week later I put "unsearched coins from estate sale ' and they sold.

The only thing I buy now or sell now is silver. I hated being dishonest...

See! No such thing as "unsearched". This guy is a prime example of how e-bay scams people. Whoops, it's not e-bay but it's users. If something does not sell; re-name or re-describe the item and relist. Does not matter if you are honest. can't believe you would actually admit to this. You are an honest/dishonest person. :lol: WOLF

believe it or not i found 2 1925-s RPM's in some shotgun ebay rolls so i guess sometimes they are unsearched for errors

believe it or not i found 2 1925-s RPM's in some shotgun ebay rolls so i guess sometimes they are unsearched for errors

This I can agree to. Not many look for error and variety coins. They only focus on the key date coins and bypass the others. WOLF

I bought a supposed unsearched bag of wheaties a few years ago.....had wheats all the way back to the teens....some s mints.....filled in my penny books some....and was a lot of fun searching. My son got into coin collecting last year and he had a ball searcing the wheats and filling in his coin books I bought him.

know someone who did/does this on ebay, it is a scam. Not an acquaintance of mine anymore

Yeah, in general you are better off buying single coins or small lots. At least you will have a valid complaint at PayPal if the item(s) aren't what they are supposed to be.

Dusty

If I want some genuine "unsearched" coins I go to this jewlery shop that sells wheats by the bulk. This guy pays two cents for wheats and sells them for 3 cents. He seems honest and I believe him. He's got a fifty five gallon drum of wheats, walks back with a scoop and just digs em out. Got a 1909 vbd out them once. plenty of teens and twenties mixed in as well. Couple stealies also. Its fun to buy them in bulk like that because they're cheap and as far as I can tell, will only appreciate in value, even if its just by a little. Put it this way, when my son and grandkids get these coins they might be worth a dollar a piece. I several thousand wheats.

hey wolf..

See! No such thing as "unsearched". This guy is a prime example of how e-bay scams people. Whoops, it's not e-bay but it's users. If something does not sell; re-name or re-describe the item and relist. Does not matter if you are honest. can't believe you would actually admit to this. You are an honest/dishonest person. WOLF

You are right it was dishonest, and admitting to it is a step in the right direction. Guess I was mad because Honesty didnt work the first time. And i wouldnt do it again, (trying to be a better person every day, one step at a time).

Back
Top Bottom