What is best for kids

M

Matt Smith

What brand metal detector is best for kids to start out with?

Xmas is coming I need advice.

Thanks,

Matt Smith

My daughter does well with a Radio Shack version of a Bounty Hunter. It's called a Discovery 2200. I use a Garrett TreasureAce 250. It's a very simple machine to operate.

DM

The Bounty Hunter is great for kids...me too. Not having a threashold tone to monitor and being able to pinpoint easily is a real plus for keeping kids interested. They can sweep quickly and dig when it beeps at them from all four directions. They are also very light. If you get one of the better models with autonotch, they will not get discouraged from digging all those tabs.

TonyinCT said:
I would go with a Garrett Ace150 or Prizm II form Whites.
:yes:
I second what Tony says, the Prizm II is a great & fun machine. Also the Ace250 is a good one, but the Prizm II is a much easier machine to pinpoint with. Not to knock Bounty Hunter but I think White's (Prizm & all their detectors) are of higher quality. Steve.

Whites are well made, I own the Surfmaster PI and love it. My Bounty Hunter is 10+ years old and has been used rigorously and the only thing I have done to it is reseal the search coil and tighten the stand rivets. Weight and ease of use is the key thing for younsters. If you give them something that tires them out after 20 minutes of use and is unable to pinpoint quickly and accurately, then you will be hunting alone. I went through this with my son. After getting discouraged, he had no further interest in it. When I handed him the BH he was happy. Find a detecting club and see if the members will let him/her try out their detectors to see which is liked the best. If you go to the local Walmart and puchase one of their BH detectors and they don't like it, Walmart will take it back.

this is my reply to a very similar question posted not that long ago and its still my opinion, I just quoted it because I'm lazy and didnt want to retype it all :lol:

DJS said:
one thing I found is that kids like playing with the detector just as much as using it, and they love features... my kids are always playing with the buttons on my ace250 when they use it, its half the fun for them, they also like the target ID and depth gauge, and use the pinpoint more than they swing the coil I think...
I think the main thing is to let them be kids and have fun with it and do what they want, and that means them having a detector they can have fun with, which means the more features they have the more fun they're probably going to have which will more than likely result in a longer lasting interest in the hobby and/or keep them interested in it long enough for them to find a few cool things

not to keep bragging it up but I think the ace250 is a perfect kids detector, its performance is great, it has the features to keep them happy, its simple to operate and easy to adjust, everything a kid needs...

id go with the ace 250 not much different then the 150 but as they progress the other button will become very useful and if you get the 150 well it will be time to up grade $$$$$$$ 250 is my choice

Back
Top Bottom