Detecting in Bodies of Water with Squishy, Mucky Bottoms

MDDM

Anyone have experience/success detecting in the shallows of lakes that have soft, mucky bottoms? I have access to a lake that is now private but was once public. I've snorkeled around it but it has been a while. I do recall that the bottom was pretty soft. Trying to decide if I should bother trying. New to this. Any advice appreciated.

Hard to do if not diving. You are going to stomp the stuff further in the muck. If you can snorkel go as deep as you can without touching the bottom with anything but the coil. You will have zero visibility but if you don't panic and go slow you should be able to find some things.

I was just thinking about this myself. One area that I'm going to be hunting very soon is our dive training site. Very soft, silty muck. I'm still new to water hunting, and I don't think that I am going to just get away with sweeping debris away, like in sandy areas.

I was just thinking about this myself. One area that I'm going to be hunting very soon is our dive training site. Very soft, silty muck. I'm still new to water hunting, and I don't think that I am going to just get away with sweeping debris away, like in sandy areas.

Impossible, you need to gently scoop up muck and wave it in front of your coil. Get the target in your hand and place everything in a small mesh bag like I use. XS scuba P/N BG570. Hold top shut and shake it in the water. Then take target out.

Impossible, you need to gently scoop up muck and wave it in front of your coil. Get the target in your hand and place everything in a small mesh bag like I use. XS scuba P/N BG570. Hold top shut and shake it in the water. Then take target out.

You'd mentioned your technique before, which I appreciated. Just want to be clear on how you like to work it. Scan, pinpoint, scoop, dump in mesh bag, and shake till you find target? Or scoop with your hand, then check with detector?

You'd mentioned your technique before, which I appreciated. Just want to be clear on how you like to work it. Scan, pinpoint, scoop, dump in mesh bag, and shake till you find target? Or scoop with your hand, then check with detector?

Scoop with hand, check hand with detector. Keep doing it until your hand beeps then put all in bag. Trying to sort through your hand is IMPOSSIBLE and I guarantee you will drop the target and spend a ton more time trying to locate it.

Those bags are like 6.00 and VERY VALUABLE so you don't waste air or daylight while detecting.

I never know what I have while underwater either. i don't ogle a thing. I get it and put it in my pouch and keep detecting. Plenty of time when the air is gone or after you are done for the day to admire and ogle your finds.

Back
Top Bottom