Arm cuff cushioning

Steve

Forum Supporter
Does anyone use cushioning or foam on their arm cuff or strap? Looking for some sort of way to of dispersing the weight being held up by the strap. Already made it as wide as possible and need to put foam or something else in it now as well.
Photos or links would be very helpful. Only needs to be rain/sweat proof.

Does anyone use cushioning or foam on their arm cuff or strap? Looking for some sort of way to of dispersing the weight being held up by the strap. Already made it as wide as possible and need to put foam or something else in it now as well.
Photos or links would be very helpful. Only needs to be rain/sweat proof.

What machine do you use Steve?

I was looking for the same as the cushioning that came with the replacement arm cuff for my Excal isn't enough as its too thin. I have noticed in hunts with stronger currents the arm cuff corner will dig into my forearm and break the skin. Currently I'm using a set of headphone cushioning inserts that were leftover from my headphone mod. I have them strapped in with plastic ties and they work but are too soft. What I am considering is finding some material from a yoga mat or those tiles that are used to cushion in a weight room. I want something just under a 1/2" thick that's strong but still supple. (Hey that kind of describes me "strong & supple"! :lol:)

Would these work?

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 457
I was looking for the same as the cushioning that came with the replacement arm cuff for my Excal isn't enough as its too thin. I have noticed in hunts with stronger currents the arm cuff corner will dig into my forearm and break the skin. Currently I'm using a set of headphone cushioning inserts that were leftover from my headphone mod. I have them strapped in with plastic ties and they work but are too soft. What I am considering is finding some material from a yoga mat or those tiles that are used to cushion in a weight room. I want something just under a 1/2" thick that's strong but still supple. (Hey that kind of describes me "strong & supple"! :lol:)

Basically what I just made. Also put a cushion in the strap that I will have to sew shut before using it. Not sure how the foam will hold up in the water. Waterproof Glue or something to keep it there I would think

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180413-200840.jpg
    Screenshot_20180413-200840.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 392
Basically what I just made. Also put a cushion in the strap that I will have to sew shut before using it. Not sure how the foam will hold up in the water. Waterproof Glue or something to keep it there I would think
I recently discovered Gorilla Glue and I think that stuff rocks! I used it to repair the sole of my dad's clunky sandals and it holds great.

I recently discovered Gorilla Glue and I think that stuff rocks! I used it to repair the sole of my dad's clunky sandals and it holds great.

Falls apart in saltwater. There is a marine epoxy that would work good. I thin line in each section so it will be easy to replace the foam if needed in he future.

Falls apart in saltwater. There is a marine epoxy that would work good. I thin line in each section so it will be easy to replace the foam if needed in he future.

As scuba said, mudpuppy's coozie cushion sounded like a pretty decent and cheap idea. Gotta test and see what glue eats at the foam as well. It might stick well but might also dissolve the foam first if there's no backing on it.

As scuba said, mudpuppy's coozie cushion sounded like a pretty decent and cheap idea. Gotta test and see what glue eats at the foam as well. It might stick well but might also dissolve the foam first if there's no backing on it.

Don't have those cushions in Asia. So I had to improvise . The main thing was the arm strap. I needed to make strap wider with a bit of cushion between it and my arm.

Been using coolie cup material for several years on my land and water machine cuffs. They work great! Besides being very comfortable and giving a firm grip around the arm , they already have the shape for gluing in place and they don't absorb the water.
DL

Good thread thanks Steve! I am going to use a can cooler for foam and zip tie it in.
I tend to be hard on equipment. . :roll:

I bought a set of good 4" black wristbands . The type you'd wear in a gym. Slip them on , one each side of the arm cuff. Slip them off, throw them on the laundry. Good as new. $3.00 a pair.

Back
Top Bottom