• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cinco de Mayo

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Cinco de Mayo

Here's one holiday I didn't even know existed.

Cinco de Mayo

The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some recognition in other parts of the Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. It is not, as many people think, Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually September 16.

The battle at Puebla in 1862 happened at a violent and chaotic time in Mexico's history. Mexico had finally gained independence from Spain in 1821 after a difficult and bloody struggle, and a number of internal political takeovers and wars, including the Mexican-American War (1846-1848) and the Mexican Civil War of 1858, had ruined the national economy.

Read More >>> http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

Re: Cinco de Mayo

I did not know that, thanks for the link, very informative. I have a number of old mexican coins, mid -1800's and they say republica mexicana, I wonder when the battles started over the area of texas and such, will have to do some digging, thanks Carol, I just thought it was a mexican holiday or something.Dah I guess it was a prelude to their actual independence day. smg

Back
Top Bottom