I don't buy what I can BUILD!!! Shovel DIY...

ecoast

Elite Member
after seeing what some folk go through with regard to buying these things and trying to get them replaced under warantee, I was inspired to make my own shovel for the woods digging...

you will minimally need:

Tools:
grinder with grinding and cut off wheels
drill
welder (or have someone weld it for a few buck once you cut/shape)

Material:
pipe = 3/4" for shaft; 1/2" for handle
1/8" steel (overkill)

once you decide on a 'design'; you will fold cardboard over and make symmetrical pattern:

Attachments

• IMAG0458.jpg
    IMAG0458.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 7,172
drill holes thru both layers of cardboard; 1/8" is good enough; these will mark your serrations:

Attachments

• IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 7,098
unfold and transfer design to plate.
Use a marker to mark holes:

Attachments

• IMAG0460.jpg
    IMAG0460.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8,036
Now take Mr. Angry (your angle grinder) with a cut off wheel and cut blade from stock.

again with Mr. Angry, cut serration slots at an angle to the holes you drilled.

pics don't show, but I added an inch to top of blade, made a shallow cut on reverse with grinder, and bend to 90 degrees to have a place to foot rest.

with grinder, cut a notch for handle.

ON EDIT: after cutting notch, I did, in fact,put it on my HF 20ton press to form blade along center;ie, now concave.

afa handle & shaft, make any length you want, then put a shallow, angled cut in the end of shaft that attaches to blade; this will also add an angle to the blade with relation to shaft= more leverage. Cut was approx. 4/5 inches long on blade end of shaft...

weld it up... then change to grinding wheel and soften t-handle edges and top where you folded 90 degrees--basically, just remove sharp edge from where it don't belong and sharpen where it do!

paint(optional)

Attachments

• IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 8,263
weighs 5 lbs. +/-

the angle cut where shaft meets blade is a superior attachment; other brands downsize attachment point where mine stays solid; 3/4 pipe finishes about 1", and the weld line around this point of attachment is 4-5 times length of others...

hth

Well, it seems to me that the small blade spade with a wooden handle I bought for 15 bucks and added cupped serrations to is still cheaper and lighter to carry. By the time one adds the time and materials yours looks like it's actually expensive unless your time is worth nothing. I like home made equipment, don't get me wrong, but if store-bought is cheaper and at least as efficient I wouldn't bother.

I have been a journeyman welder/fabricator for 36 yrs. now , are you looking for a job ? :lol: Kidding , but have to give you a fist bump on a good job . Very nice and well thought out .

Well, it seems to me that the small blade spade with a wooden handle I bought for 15 bucks and added cupped serrations to is still cheaper and lighter to carry. By the time one adds the time and materials yours looks like it's actually expensive unless your time is worth nothing. I like home made equipment, don't get me wrong, but if store-bought is cheaper and at least as efficient I wouldn't bother.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

When does mass production begin :goodjob:

Nice work! You should start selling them!

dunno...think folks would go $100 shipped with lifetime warranty?;)

length/ handle type to customer spec; mebee several blade designs?
choice of color?

...have to see about some DOM for handle = stronger; lighter.
I'll go out to steel supply next week. (have to anyways; re-building my rock crawler:cool:).

me too!

I guess he overlooked post title!

ps- wooded handles BREAK, and anything one buys <$25 is not going to dig like a function-specific relic shovel, imho

yes; my time is valuable, but this did not take long, and was first crack at it.

I was using a $9.99 Ames cut into a similar profile w/serrations before this.

no comparison
(and you could not have told me that prior to using this one)

Back
Top Bottom