Coin Roll Hunting?... oh now I get it!

didymus

When I first saw mention of CRH on these forums I'm like... what's that? Do some friends get together and hide a roll of coins and see who can detect it first?

After I read a posting then I knew what was meant.
I used to do this back in the'70's. Didn't think you could find silver like that anymore.

So I went to the bank today, but they had no rolls of halves. They did have 12.50 loose that they were willing to let me have. I could tell by the rim that one of them was silver. So I got the halves and four rolls of quarters.
Quarters were all clad but there were four 40% in the halves.... oooohhh I like this!:grin:

When I first saw mention of CRH on these forums I'm like... what's that? Do some friends get together and hide a roll of coins and see who can detect it first?

After I read a posting then I knew what was meant.
I used to do this back in the'70's. Didn't think you could find silver like that anymore.

So I went to the bank today, but they had no rolls of halves. They did have 12.50 loose that they were willing to let me have. I could tell by the rim that one of them was silver. So I got the halves and four rolls of quarters.
Quarters were all clad but there were four 40% in the halves.... oooohhh I like this!:grin:

Most of the banks around me either don't like coin hunters, or are lazy. They always tell me they have no halves at all. Some others tell me they can't sell me rolls of coins without an account.

And I am not trying the same banks over and over again either... I have many banks in town, but they are all bitchy about this. Even the bank where I DO have an account.

Never found a single thing worth mentioning. I prefer to get out and actually find my silver the hard way anyway.

Atpro, how long would it take you to find 135 silver halves with a detector?

I dont care how long it would take. The point is that I would have dug them and found them myself and put in the effort no matter how long it took. Thats more rewarding. I get it, you guys that CRH find silver. But to me its just not at all the same. I get silver halves all the time. My bank saves them for me and I dont have to CRH. I usually dont even want them. Ive even spent a few with no worries. If I dont dig it I dont care.

I have yet to get a detector, and it's looking like it might take longer than I anticipated to save up for one. This is how I am feeding my need to seek out interesting things. Coin hunting will have to do until I actually get out there and start swinging. :cool:

I dont care how long it would take. The point is that I would have dug them and found them myself and put in the effort no matter how long it took. Thats more rewarding. I get it, you guys that CRH find silver. But to me its just not at all the same. I get silver halves all the time. My bank saves them for me and I dont have to CRH. I usually dont even want them. Ive even spent a few with no worries. If I dont dig it I dont care.

I buy coins...i have so many on my album and more on picassa and love the coins but it isnt the same as finding them...i have loads of wheaties that i got at auctions and old coins but they dont mean as much as the wheaties i found and the war nickel ... they mean money but its different..i can understand things when you get them easy or dont find something from your own skill or luck.

Nothing against CRH'ers, they enjoy it their way and if theres enjoyment thats the point along with the money, so many gold prospectors spend their entire life finding gold and yet never sell a single gram...its sometimes the search mor ethen the find, the find more then the money, the money more then the having or vice versa.

I'd say for people who have to mentally fuel those long months or years without finding much you cant be saying to yourself, one day i'll be rich, it has to be 'i love this thing!'....i love the finds, i love to own something that nobody saw for so many years, something people walked over, something someone once lost, i wonder what they were doing, how they felt, did it mean a lot to them, what does it say about where i found it"...that means more to people then $4 worth of silver in a bought half dollar.

I've only started crhing bc of a second surgery on my arm. I can't swing a detector fir a little while. Now that I've had so much success with it I will continue this as well as detect when im able.

CRH is great! I scored 2 war nickels today. Congrats on your finds. And i like the MD too, however I'm terrible at it and haven't scored anything great yet. Like someone said above me, it's more about the searching rather than the finding. Yes most of what I have found CRH is valuable but I want to hang onto it, there's no telling how many people have had it before me, the history behind it you know?

You spend silver halves? Seems a bit odd? Why would you spend a half dollar worth $4-11 depending on silver content.....with a face value of only fifty cents?

If nothing else give them to your kids, or someone needy if you really dont care??

Must be nice to have so much money you can spend silver halves and not even care :laughing::laughing:

I'd have to get the idea/concept of CRH past the wife first. "you want to take x amt of money and trade it for coins?"...she'd think I have more issues than I have diagnosed. Until I found my first silver and put it in the collection jar/jug/tin or sold it. Then she'd get the concept.

I live in a small town and know ppl that work at most of the banks and credit unions in town so wouldn't have an issue with being able to get halves.

As long as the activity (MD/CRH) is legal, exciting and keeps one interested should be all that matters.

So go out and find it the hard way. Why take the time to come into a thread about something you care nothing about and make negative posts? Would you like someone coming into a post you made about digging up a silver and telling you how much easier it would have been to find a silver CRH'ing?

Never found a single thing worth mentioning. I prefer to get out and actually find my silver the hard way anyway.

You spend silver halves? Seems a bit odd? Why would you spend a half dollar worth $4-11 depending on silver content.....with a face value of only fifty cents?

If nothing else give them to your kids, or someone needy if you really dont care??

Must be nice to have so much money you can spend silver halves and not even care :laughing::laughing:

Because you should see the reactions to people. I get them for 50c so why not every once in a while share them with others? Ive used them as tips and just to pay for tolls usually and the expressions, replies and comments are great. Try it sometime.

So go out and find it the hard way. Why take the time to come into a thread about something you care nothing about and make negative posts? Would you like someone coming into a post you made about digging up a silver and telling you how much easier it would have been to find a silver CRH'ing?

Nothing negative was said. I clearly voiced an opinion. For those that do it and find stuff good for them. My first comment said in this thread was simply I dont have good luck CRH. I then stated my bank just saves them for me. I also stated that I personally don't like CRH. Plain and simple.

After a year of MDing and in over 11,600 coins recovered, AND turning up only 1 64 rosie for that effort, KT was looking for another way to feed the silver need. CRHing fulfilled that need. Its not a substitute, nor an alternative, to MDing, but an extra activitity! KT is always impressed by the silver coin finds by members of this Forum, but he has not access to the types of sites, at this time, to have a chance to turn up much. So....His Majesty continues to utilize CRHing to fill his silver coffers with nice items! :D:D

It's not an either/or situation, its a do it both! :laughing::laughing:

Everyone is in this hobby for different reasons which is great but to me CRH seems a bit like kissing your cousin :lol::lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom