Handling Stones Stuck Together Underwater

Zoidberg661

OK, so this past weekend I went out for the first 5+ hour hunt of this season here in South Florida and man it was great to get some salt again. I had a pretty good day, found a bunch of coins and a 22" silver chain that is seriously tarnished black (see image). The chain is cool but it wasn't the kind of find I was looking for.

Here is my question, is it common to find 100+ year old objects within a clump of stones that have basically been fused together over time? If so, what tools do you use to loosen and breaking the stones free? I got 3 distinct signals that drove me nuts trying to extract, I would fan the sand away and about 8 inches down would get to the rocky floor and the signal would come strong from within stones that were fused together and attached to the solid stone that basically made up the ocean floor. I used a screw driver and an old center piece half of a mushroom anchor to chisel the stones loose but it was hard, very hard to break them free of one another, especially underwater. Three instances and three times I had to give up because I was just exhausting myself in the process. Anybody ever have this happen? I would love some suggestions, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• silverchain.jpg
    silverchain.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 151
Back
Top Bottom