Bank told me to take a hike.

Beaker

Elite Member
I ordered my second boxes of nickels and dimes two weeks ago and was excited for them to arrive. I got a phone call from bank lady who was clearly annoyed and said my two boxes were in. She then barked at me, if I was going to do this often they are going to charge me. Keep in mind im only ordering one box of dimes and one box of nickels per month plus I didn't even bring back my first two boxes of left over nickels and dimes.

She then went on to say they didn't order them for me at all but had two extra boxes I could have left over from their order. I said no you can keep your valuable boxes of nickels and dimes and said goodbye :p The attitude really put me off more than anything, I mean I get it if this location just doesn't order enough coins, fine, no need to be rude. Plus I asked if I could order them in the first place and they said yes :?: I certainly won't be buying a product from them ever, they can bank on that. My CRH experiment is over, just going to stick to metal detecting. :digginahole:

Ya

They will do that...
I have been thrown out of 4 banks within the last year and a half. Even had one whole chain of banks blacklist me..."Do not run coin for this guy" flag in their system...
You just gotta find another...even different branches in the same chain can be different about their attitude toward you.
One of the branches that was very rude to me and told me to take a hike...
Well...another branch in that same chain is my best supplier and bends over backwards to help me no matter what I am doing.
You need to build a relationship with the tellers.
After the first few times they help you...buy them lunch or something.
If you win the loyatly of the people at the counter they will take care of you.
But "thank you" only works for a limited time. Throw down some goodies....even cookies you baked yourself...and you will find a whole new world of CRH.
Find the lead teller....the one responsible for ordering the coin...and drop a morgan dollar on her from the coin shop. (The lead tellers are always big silver hounds.)
You might even find bank employees ordering you boxes on the sly...despite orders from their managers.
These folks work hard and are largely unappreciated--a little love goes a long way.
Don't get discouraged....CRH is a great addition to your treasure-hunting toolbox....expecially in the winter.
Bribery is a legitimate business tactic...
It's ALL about the relationship with the tellers.

Newbie question: What do you do with the nickels and dimes? :blush:

open all the rolls and pick out the good ones...(silver) or stamping errors.
as far as nickels some people are saving them because they are worth more than face value or will soon be.. like when pennys went to being made out of zinc.

I tried the CR one time. Got shorted by a buck. No more. Sticking to detecting.:stormy:

I just called one of my credit union branches - they have $30 in halves waiting for me....I hope they don't look at them before I get there....but they said they are still in the coin counter - YESSSSS

that's a far cry from the $973 the first branch had!

4 more branches to go - I'll be busy monday after work!

Before you give up....you have found a new dump bank. Just find another supply bank/credit union.

That is exactly what I did. A bank I used to get halves from got rude with me for asking for 10 rolls once a week. I would always end my request with "If you can spare them" after about 5 trips, i came in and the teller called the bank manager who told me that they were going to have to charge me for any more. I then withdrew all my money except $5 (so i can take coins in as a customer and not get a fee), and I now use both branches as 2 of my dump banks. I'm headed there in about 30 minutes to dump $97 in nickels and about $24 in pennies.

My roommate teases me that he's found a billion more old coins in his tip jar at Starbucks than I have in a month of MDing. :(

he's probably right..BUT he isn't likely to get past about the 40's in his tip jar...:D and you're having fun OUTSIDE.:cool:

I like to search pennies but I have nice advantage when it comes to getting my supply of coin. I work in retail and I have bi-weekly date with the bank who is always more than happy to fork over the coin. Plus with the amount of currency that runs through my hand I get to check alot of coin . I have trained my ears to pick up the sound of silver. Got 5 rolls of silver quarter one day. 2 weeks later I got 4rolls of silver dimes. Its exciting and fun to find and I get to learn from the coin dealer. He always gives me the best prices and even comes to me. Plus he doesnt sell them for melt. Keeping history alive is part of the reason I do it. The extra money always helps too!

your not buying their product.your trying to beifit from it.and returning it.your useing them for your own profit.your taking advantige of them.and they are on to you.

its like your cuting someone off on the road.getting honked at.and you say ,"how dare they get mad at me for cutting them off"

if i was the bank.i,d tell you to take i hike to

your not buying their product.your trying to beifit from it.and returning it.your useing them for your own profit.your taking advantige of them.and they are on to you.

its like your cuting someone off on the road.getting honked at.and you say ,"how dare they get mad at me for cutting them off"

if i was the bank.i,d tell you to take i hike to

It is a service they offer. Many banks do not mind helping you in this hobby, but even if a bank decides it is not in their best interests, they can politley explain that the cost do not outweigh the benefits for them to keep supplying. I don't think the OP is mad because they stopped supplying, but rather that they did it in a very rude way. Many banks offer both coin returns and buying coin rolls as a service, so it is nothing like cutting someone off in traffic.

Back
Top Bottom