Would appreciate help

RR

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
I've lost the fore end off of a fairly rare shotgun. It is surely laying on top of the ground in the woods. I can pinpoint the location within 100 feet +/-. Sounds like an easy find.... but this is a dense area with lots of dead ferns and my time is limited in the area. The fore end has plenty of metal in it, I'm assuming that this offbeat location has little trash metal around.
My question is... if I purchase a bottom of the line detector(<$100), would I have a good chance of finding my missing fore end? How do they do through snowfall? Inches of snowfall? Any ideas as to how close that I would need to be to get a signal? The metal piece in the fore end contains about the same amount of steel as in two table forks, about half surrounded by wood.
Thank you for your time, Rick.

Yes you would find it.Before you go and spend all that money ask around if anyone knows any detectorists in your area.We are allways willing to help out for a small fee,im sure it would cost a lot less than buying a detector.Also a detector takes a lot of practise so it would make more sense getting someone in to do it,more chance of finding it that way.Please dont take offence but if youve never used a detector before it would be some time before you can actually use it and by that time your item might be gone or rusty.Even the bottom of the line detectors take time to understand.Thats my advice to you,hope it helps

I'll try to fill in some details. I live in Northeastern Indiana, my missing gun part is in Northeastern Michigan. I have a place up there, but it is a 5 hour drive. The fore end has been sitting on the forest floor in a woods about 20 miles to pavement for over a month. Yes, it is rusty by now, but surely can be reconditioned.
I could not imagine troubling someone else to search for it. I would think that hiring someone or renting(?)a unit for a weekend would surpass the cost of a $100 unit. I could not tell you how much snow is in the area now, it has been mild, but several inches per day is not uncommon. It will be at least a couple of weeks before I can head back up. No, I have never even picked up a detector before. There is a chance of picking up other metal objects, but I'm still thinking that if I get a signal from the part, I will see it. I have no problem digging through the snow to look at signals, but don't anticipate digging in the dirt. If I have to be directly over it, within inches, I may just have to spend more time just looking. The problem is that a wooden fore end just looks like another piece of wood in a forest. Am I way off base? I surely do appreciate the responses, thanks, Rick.

If I lived closer to you Rick I would help you out in a minute without charge. If you have a general idea where you lost it, maybe you can get a bunch of your friends together to help you find it. Alot of fellas would jump at the chance to get away for a day or two especially if you throw in dinner and a few beers for them. Just a thought, good luck, hope you find that part. Steve (upstate New York).

RR you are definitely not off base. If you have a general idea where it is it should not be hard to find as long as there is not an extreme amount of junk around. Granted the undergrowth may pose some issues but finding it is not out of the question. If I lived closer I too would help you out. I know there are a couple people on the board from Michigan but I'm not sure how close they are to your area. Best of luck in finding the part.

If I lived closer I too would be happy to help you out at no charge. I think that most of us love the challenge more than the chance of making a quick buck (which is never the case, this hobby takes time) so I am sure that someone in this area will step up and take the opportunity to help you find your missing piece. Good luck to you :grin:

You could advertise locally. I know northeastern Michigan well, but no longer live in the area. If I could I would do it for nothing. I love a good challenge.

DM

RR, where exactly are you talking about? Is it in the Alpena area. I live in Grayling, and would love to help you out.

Let me just say, I really had no intentions of bothering anyone with my problem. Mostly, I was looking for information as to the capabilities of the unit since I have no experience with a detector. I am amazed at the generosity of the people on this board. My place/the area is just north of Gaylord. Hoser...you don't happen to chase birds? Maybe we can work something out. My work schedule will determine the timing of my next trip up, but I'm hoping for a weekend before Christmas. Thanks all, Rick.

RR, just so happens I used to live in Gaylord,(26 miles N. of Grayling) so I kinda know the turf there. :lol: Let me know when, and if the snow isn't up to our armpits, I would be more than happy to see if we could find it for ya. ;)

Rick, I live in Fort Wayne. Are you anywhere near me? Hoser truly would be willing to look for it for you, providing snow isn't eye deep! LOL! Thanks for stopping by our forum, and welcome. Hope you all find it.

Trudy

Thanks Hoser. I'll PM you if I can nail down a weekend. I will insist that we use my gas, I'll pick you up, and that you will not insult me by refusing a small token of thanks. I'm looking forward to a lesson in detecting.
Yes Trudy, we could be neighbors. I live near the G.T. Square area.
I do find this website/hobby fascinating, specifically the historical aspects. But for now, I struggle to find the time for my other interests.
Thanks, Rick.

Back
Top Bottom