Things they didn't tell us

Daddy-O

After reading many articles on here and trying to prepare myself for this great adventure they call metal detecting, we finally got our first metal detector (a Tesoro Cibola). We've only had it a day now and I have discovered that there are a few things that they didn't tell me about. First off, I have sore hands from all of the digging I am doing (My wife owns the metal detector and I am her personal digger). ;) Even though I have knee pads, my knees are feeling a little sore. They also didn't tell me that the top of my head would burn and to wear a hat, although I should have already known that. :roll:
They didn't tell me that I could easily spend an entire day looking for just a few cents in change or a few metal items on an old farm. They didn't tell me that my youngest kids would love it and would want to dig every hole (but not properly). They didn't tell me that I would want my own detector within a day! They didn't tell me that this would lead me to begin to research the history of my city and our state (I'm learning a lot). They didn't tell me that I would be so tired at the end of the day.
Well, I am sure that they didn't tell me many other things, but I am too tired to think of it, or is it the pain I feel from my sunburned head?! :lol: Either way, I am really enjoying myself. Thanks! Maybe you can think of some other things that "they didn't tell you about" also. If so, put them down.
Daddy-O

DO - methinks you have the detecting bug now !!

They didn't tell me I would find great things in places where they said they shouldn't be.

They didn't tell me that in order to get great digs sometimes you had to push the package - both physically & mentally. Steve in so az

They didn't tell me how sore my arm would be after a day of detecting.

They didn't tell me how expensive the hobby can become.

And they didn't tell me I would be owning 3 different detectors at once.

Hey Daddy-O, that knee will be fine once you get a nice thick callous built up , and a pair of gloves will help the hands...they probably didn't tell you that once you dig up your first silver coin or gold ring your addiction will increase exponentially . HH Roadrunner_426

They also didn't tell you
if you don't get out with the detector on a regular basis you start having withdrawl symptoms. :lol: :yes:

They didn't tell you that if you can't dance, you'll learn real quick with the first good silver or gold find.
They didn't tell you that this hobby is more habit forming than most drugs. :lol: Glad you are having fun with it. :yes:

They didn't tell you that in addition to spending as much waking time as possible detecting, you would also quickly become addicted to online detecting forums, and spend lots MORE time on those, boasting about your pennies, and reading about the pennies found by others!

They didn't tell you that in addition to spending as much waking time as possible detecting, you would also quickly become addicted to online detecting forums, and spend lots MORE time on those, boasting about your pennies, and reading about the pennies found by others!

:lol: :lol: :lol: How true!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't feel bad...they didn't tell me either! What's up with that? :?: Like you I read these fourms from top to bottom while waiting on my MD to arrive and all you read is all the glamerous stuff and non of the bad...well unless you've read about my hunts. :roll:

I learned about the gloves after the first hunt. I also learned to keep them on when poking in holes feeling around after I dug up a broken 50 year old bottle and cut myself. Lord only knows what was in that bottle fermenting in the ground for all these years. With my luck I probably picked up some scifi earth destroying virus that's been waiting to be unleashed on mankind.

Keep at it and have fun!!

El Diablo

They didnt say I would develop a permanent arched down neck and head from looking at parking lot surfaces, department store floors, etc for coins and things.

On the happier side - my friend found gold rings on 2 occasions on the floor of the women's clothing department of WalMart while his wife tried on clothes ! Steve in so az

They also didn't tell you that after you've read, studied, and absorbed till your brain is mush, learned your machine as well as some members of your family, put in many hours in the field, and think you are doing pretty well, you run into situations with your equipment and the surroundings that leave you wondering what you didn't do right or what is going awry. You also wind up becomming a better communicator with yourself due to those long conversations between the left and right sides of your brain. Observers may think you are just singing with the "tunes" that are comming thru your headphones. :lol:

No Pain, No Gain :lol:

Buy a water machine, there is no bending over, no sore knees or back ;)

You bod will shrivel up to where you eventually will develop permanent wrinkles, and yor sea legs will have you walking like you've tied on half a load when on land. :lol:

they also didn,t tell you that electric fences and pens pulsing away are a right pain :mad:

I bet they forgot to tell you that every where you go you're looking at places and thinking man what a great place to detect! Every where you drive you see great spots! :P

They never told me to watch out for poison ivy!   :(  I saw it in time to warn my daughter, but not before I had been rubbing up against it.  I woke up this morning with my right arm infected by the stuff.  I sure do want to scratch the skin off of my arn right about now!   :shock:
Daddy-O

Cladius said:
I bet they forgot to tell you that every where you go you're looking at places and thinking man what a great place to detect! Every where you drive you see great spots!  :P
totaly true m8,some times well hard to keep the eyes on the road lol

They didn't tell me that I would have poison ivy tormenting my arms and neck while chiggers attack my legs and feet. The didn't tell me that I would still be driven to the woods where my children and I would be attacked, and stung several times each, by yellow jackets (while fighting the chiggers and ivy). They didn't tell me that I would willingly put myself through all of this self afflicted abuse, happily, while searching for the oldest site I know of, so that I can detect and "possibly" find a little bit of history there. We certainly are strange creatures indeed! :yes:
Daddy-O

Back
Top Bottom