BH Tracker IV Limp Coil Issue

z118

Forum Supporter
Quite a while ago I bought a 10" coil for my BH Tracker IV. At some point the coil became a little loose on the shaft, so that if would not maintain its position and instead sag downward under its own weight. Ever now and then I would tighten the nut which would fix the issue for a bit and I'd forget about it. For the most part the problem was easy to ignore anyway as I only use the Tracker in tot lots where it really doesn't matter if the coil drags on the wood chips anyway. If anything, a loose coil was kind of a perk as it would automatically flatten out when i was sweeping under equipment without me having to adjust it.

Well recently it became quite bad, such that no amount of tightening would help. So I finally got around to taking it apart and having a look. At it turns out, the shaft was actually wearing a groove into the part of the coil that the bolt goes through, and it had gotten so bad that no no amount of tightening was going to help. The whole issue only came about because the end of the shaft has a hollow area to it where the bolt goes through. You can see what I mean in the pics. The groove in the first pic was never there to begin with; it was completely cause by the round part of the shaft rubbing against it when the coil would rotate up and down.

At any rate, I found a couple of metal washers that fit the whole perfectly, and when I put the coil back on with the washers in there the problems was perfectly resolved... or so I thought. I tested the Tracker using a dime in my driveway and it seemed fine. But out in the tot lots today there was an obvious impact - depth and sensitivity were reduced and the tones were messed up. When I switched to all metal the detector beeped all over where there were obviously no targets.

I was working on the assumption that as the washers would not be moving in relation to the coil that they would not affect the detector. In fact, part of the bolt that holds the coil on is metal too. But this was not the case.

I guess I will check out a hardware store tomorrow for some plastic washers.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 363
Find some new gaskets for the coil mount hopefuly that will correct the problem. Howard

Perhaps a stupid question... but what do you mean by gaskets for the coil mount?

On the Whites coils, the washers are soft rubber. The rubber washers provide enough friction between the coil ears and shaft that there is no slipping. Find or make some yourself. They should be thick enough that you have to use a little force to push the shaft into the ears. Rob

You could buy some liquid rubber and fill in the voids. Then use rudder washers at the same time to place on the coil's tabs till they dry. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes for washers, out of rudder to replace the steel ones and get no interference from the electrical line flux. (:-O) Good luck

Well, I found the perfect plastic washers to fit into the holes in question. In order to prevent them from slipping deeper into the void in there, I cut a section out of several hose washer and stuffed them in there, then wedged the washers in on top. Worked great!

Kellyco sells loop supports for your machine. I have one on my BH-ID and it works real well to keep the coil in place. You may want to look at one of these. I plan on getting one for the DFX soon.

Back
Top Bottom