These things have had me stumped for quite some time....

gtodude

Out in the back of my property among the pines, saw palmettos and live oaks I have been finding these things that appear to be lead. They are all nearly uniform in shape and if I were to guess, I have probably found 10 or so but all scattered throughout my property. I’m trying to rule these out as a fired bullet due to the fact that I have found plenty of spent rounds over the years but nothing quite like these. These are in the shape of a fingernail and as you can see in the photos, the size compared to a dime. The back picture shows one after I carefully cleaned one with a toothpick and toothbrush, the other is as found. Any thoughts?

Eric

Attachments

• 8EB9F3F3-9399-46E0-A236-6FB12E3EFA88.jpeg
    8EB9F3F3-9399-46E0-A236-6FB12E3EFA88.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 498
  • B26EC24F-FE38-431B-881E-7E26E406FD5F.jpeg
    B26EC24F-FE38-431B-881E-7E26E406FD5F.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 477
I’m just grasping at straws here. They look too small to be musket balls. Maybe someone was shooting at a steel plate with double buckshot. That’s why the are flat and that’s why you find them scattered. The ones that didn’t hit the plate ended up off of the property
Also shooting the !!!! out of stuff with buckshot is an old Florida thing that was popular from the 60’s to the 80’s.

Id say small round ball
In the second picture, on the one on the left , you can see what looks like the original shape (a circle) in the middle of it. As the bullet hits something hard , the rest of the lead is pushed around the original shape.

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 346
I agree with the round look as you suggested Hannibal but I find it odd that they are all the same size and shape and found in different areas of my property. If they were all within the same proximity, I would agree with the steel plate idea. Things that make ya go hmmmmmm....

I wish I could somehow get a good picture to show their thickness. They are a bit concave and if you put 2 together, they are a bit smaller than an acorn but all are very uniform in size and shape.

Matmit, they are definitely lead and they aren’t quite flat enough.

Junkminer, I wish! They aren’t round with some type of marking like the ones I have seen. That’s a great guess though.

Back
Top Bottom