Cleaning Lead Sling Shot

JonathanN

Got these for cheap, one appears that it may have an inscription on it. Was curious if there was a safe way to clean these? Would love to try and get some of that dirt off and try to see if there is an inscription. Thank you kindly in advance!

Attachments

• Sling shot.jpg
    Sling shot.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Sling Shot 2.jpg
    Sling Shot 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 824
Did you try to google cleaning lead?

Is the white coating on it hard water deposits that will come off fast with white vinegar?

I have no experience cleaning lead but thought you might be able to google it.

Maybe boil hydrogen peroxide in a microwave and put one in it? Shouldn't hurt it.

Personally. Knowing it was lead unless your super curious id just leave it be.
Just me though. Lead is one of those things just not worth playing with.

Lead is really only bad if you either eat it like some young kids eat paint chips, or breath the fumes while smelting. If you are going to scratch them to clean them do it while wet so particles don't become airborne and you'll be good...

You know what is REALLY funny?

In the early 1900's they made TONS of toys out of lead. I have cars, a boat, animals, soldiers, WHISTLES, a rocking horse and lots of other lead toys.

I have a few more than pictured, including two more whistles. Our parents and grandparents played with lead. And now it is hazardous??

I don't buy it at all.

Wait, you don't believe lead poisoning exists??

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

It has been known to cause cancer in rats in California. So now it is taboo.

Has lead poisoning existed? Sure. they used to make pencils out of lead and kids were stabbing each other and got lead poisoning. As I said. I have THREE whistles I found underwater made from lead. Kids used to put them in their mouths. I bet some are still alive today at a ripe old age.

HOWEVER, is it as big of deal as claimed now? I doubt it. BUT, I am ALLOWED to believe what I want.

Lead bullets kill. Must be because of the poisonous lead.

Just like mercury. Used to be used in thermometers. Now taboo. We played with it on desks at school. I am still here. OH NO, here comes hazmat. Got to go!

UPDATE. Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder also causes cancer:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/people-afraid-johnson-johnson-products-155403210.html

I have no doubt in my mind that if you test anything long enough you will find it harmful. We need protection from all the chemicals they put in our food and materialistic things we buy.

Cell phones will be banned because of radiation sooner or later.

Last edited:

Has lead poisoning existed? Sure. they used to make pencils out of lead and kids were stabbing each other and got lead poisoning. As I said. I have THREE whistles I found underwater made from lead. Kids used to put them in their mouths. I bet some are still alive today at a ripe old age.

HOWEVER, is it as big of deal as claimed now? I doubt it. BUT, I am ALLOWED to believe what I want.

Just like mercury. Used to be used in thermometers. Now taboo. We played with it on desks at school. I am still here. OH NO, here comes hazmat. Got to go!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/people-afraid-johnson-johnson-products-155403210.html

I have no doubt in my mind that if you test anything long enough you will find it harmful. We need protection from all the chemicals they put in our food and materialistic things we buy.

Couple things:

1. Pencils have never been made from lead.

2. Your anecdotal experience with mercury doesn't mean it's not dangerous. That's why large data sets are utilized when performing a study.

As an aside, though not the primary reason for phasing out mercury in thermometers, alcohol thermometers are by far cheaper to manufacture.

3. Do you consider the over consumption of methylmercury in fish to be taboo or do you believe the studies that show it can cause health issues?

4. I would argue that personal responsibility is not mutually exclusive from consumer awareness.

5. You are absolutely allowed to believe what you want. I do not disagree there.

6. And most importantly, and I should have lead with this, those are some terrific finds, and I'm completely jealous of your mad hunting skills. No joke, I haven't found anything remotely as cool as that yet! [emoji1303]

I will admit, I cheat. All those lead finds were from the water. They would never be that condition underground.

You are absolutely right about the pencil. Looks like the lead poisoning was from the paint.

"Although lead has not been used for writing since antiquity, lead poisoning from pencils was not uncommon. Until the middle of the 20th century the paint used for the outer coating could contain high concentrations of lead, and this could be ingested when the pencil was sucked or chewed.[39]" copied from a website.

Funny lead whistles were meant to be blown!!

I think we are getting off the subject. I just know that before the 1920's a TON of toys were made from lead. I don't know how many died from them, guess we will never know.

I have thousands and thousands of bullets and sinkers I have dug also. Non have killed me yet.

I will admit, I cheat. All those lead finds were from the water. They would never be that condition underground.

You are absolutely right about the pencil. Looks like the lead poisoning was from the paint.

"Although lead has not been used for writing since antiquity, lead poisoning from pencils was not uncommon. Until the middle of the 20th century the paint used for the outer coating could contain high concentrations of lead, and this could be ingested when the pencil was sucked or chewed.[39]" copied from a website.

Funny lead whistles were meant to be blown!!

I think we are getting off the subject. I just know that before the 1920's a TON of toys were made from lead. I don't know how many died from them, guess we will never know.

I have thousands and thousands of bullets and sinkers I have dug also. Non have killed me yet.

I need to get scuba certified. I've always been terrified of bursting blood vessels in my eyes. It happened to a coworker who was a seasoned diver - ever since then, I've shied away. Time to get over it!

Now the hard part - convincing the wife to let me take up yet another hobby!

I need to get scuba certified. I've always been terrified of bursting blood vessels in my eyes. It happened to a coworker who was a seasoned diver - ever since then, I've shied away. Time to get over it!

Now the hard part - convincing the wife to let me take up yet another hobby!

You are not going to find much if any gold below 30' deep. 95% of the gold I find is under 8' deep. I know you can get hurt in that shallow of water but unlikely. I find some of my gold and silver on drop offs. However, I find the majority of it just outside of waders reach.

Got these for cheap, one appears that it may have an inscription on it. Was curious if there was a safe way to clean these? Would love to try and get some of that dirt off and try to see if there is an inscription. Thank you kindly in advance!

Just wash the loose dirt off with an old toothbrush, then if you want them really cleaned up, put them in the tumbler overnight.........or maybe try 4-5 hours first, then if not cleaned-up enough for you, run them again........(assuming that they are not really valuable ?)

Lead and mercury are rarely lethal. Their danger is in causing brain damage and other nervous system problems (mad hatter's). It is especially dangerous in a developing brain, which is why lead paint is such a problem. You can live a pretty long life with half a brain, that does not mean these metals are not toxic.

As a kid, I've spent countless hours wandering through the woods with my trusty old pellet rifle and a mouth full of lead .177 caliber pellets. For YEARS I've done this. I'm now 44 years old and I work at General Electric making jet engines for a living. Guess I missed out on the brain damage part.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

As a kid, I've spent countless hours wandering through the woods with my trusty old pellet rifle and a mouth full of lead .177 caliber pellets. For YEARS I've done this. I'm now 44 years old and I work at General Electric making jet engines for a living. Guess I missed out on the brain damage part.

Sorry. If you wouldn't have done that you would be at NASA as a rocket scientist. Your brain wasn't good enough for them. :laughing:

Welcome to the forum From Michigan. A few of us TRY to joke around. I hope you go to the general section and introduce yourself.
I am terrible! I believe there MIGHT be some truth to it but not sure. I don't trust anything the government tosses at us. I refuse to go through the X-Ray machines at the airport.

I agree, laughter is great medicine. Thanks. And yes, when I moved to NH from Louisiana, back in 2012, I opted for the pat-down at the airport x-ray machines for both me and my teenage son. Not so much for the cancer concerns, but more for the protest against the TSA invading the privacy of United States citizens.

Sucking on some (relatively) clean lead pellets wouldn't cause too much exposure. Swallowing lead, or inhaling lead dust/fumes are what usually cause the poisoning.

as far as cleaning them a soft toothbrush and water is your best bet, these may well have some considerable value, if they are Roman or Greek sling shot. the inscriptions were done by the soldiers and were along the same line as the ones painted on bombs in ww2. it would be interesting to have them translated. HH Steve

Back
Top Bottom